01-09-2020 04:51 AM
38 12
tools
    It's not that they want or need a presence in music, it's that they do not want it at all so acquiring Spotify won't really do much for them.
    I would have thought they would have pondered this idea last year when they shut down and partnered with them. If they were going to buy Spotify , it would have been prudent to buy them before they went public and possibly got them a discount to what they are worth now.
    06-20-2018 04:06 PM
    What a silly idea. This makes as much sense as Oracle or IBM buying Spotify.
    06-20-2018 05:42 PM
    I don't think it's a good idea. The music streaming business has become a race to the bottom, and it's very difficult for them to make money.

Spotify is the big one, but apple and google are doing it to bolster their platforms; they don't really need for it to become profitable as they can make money indirectly. MS basically ditched it because without a platform, they're just another spotify that can't win. So again, buying spotify would mean that they just spend heaps of money on an app which isn't profitable.

I think MS made the right call here, let the others fight it out. It can be seen as a tactical retreat of sorts on the part of MS
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-20-2018 06:16 PM
    I don't see the point. Microsoft isn't geared towards the consumer mass market. Spotify wouldn't make them better in any market. It's just throwing potentially billions to be affiliated with a product. What would they gain?
    06-20-2018 09:32 PM
    Should they? Yes. Will they probably not or not anytime soon anyway.
    06-20-2018 09:46 PM
    Absolutely not. Microsoft does terrible job at marketing and supporting services and products outside of its core windows & office products. Skype is no longer a household name. Zune was an excellent product but was abandoned. Xbox music & Groove music (recycled Microsoft product name from an office suite application) had virtually no marketing as a result crashed & burned in 24 months each. Fitness Band met with a similar fate. Windows Phone after purchasing Nokia was the beginning of the end of the mobile phones, quality & support declined rapidly. Ending the production of one the most innovative & groundbreaking product, Kinect, is an example of terrible decision making. Unless you'd like to see Spotify disappear all together or in popularity within 24 mos., Microsoft should stay FAR AWAY from the idea of buying this service! 🤔
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    06-21-2018 02:29 AM
    In one sense I agree. I miss Groove too, but spotify's business model is dreadful, its just a money pit. I'd prefer MS to start selling music like tv's and movies.
    06-21-2018 08:04 AM
    I don't think they should buy them, no. But what if, one day, MS decided that the default music player that gets installed with every Windows installation is Spotify? That might be worth something.
    Lobo Technician likes this.
    12-31-2018 05:42 AM
    Behold! Spotify bug everywhere lol. I don't like that idea, they don't support the tech well, skype was 100% working before I had no issue but when MS acquire skype it's gets those error / not connecting / down time problem, not saying always but It had those issues in 2018.

But in a business side, "YES" the investment they going to made will probably return in no time and they can do a lot to that data. But I hope they don't buy them *cross finger*.
    01-04-2019 07:02 PM
    Not unless MS is ready to fully invest in the consumer market once again. This would not be the best purchase to revamp their ecosystem, if anything it should be one their final purchases, after they reboot their platform.
    01-08-2019 01:59 PM
    It won't happen. MS isn't really interested in us consumers any longer. Besides, anything they usually acquire just gets abandoned later on.
    03-17-2019 06:26 AM
    If I trusted them do it right then I would love to see Microsoft buy Spotify or SiriusXM and Sling TV.
    03-17-2019 11:08 AM
    A book “Spotify Untold” was recently released in Sweden, this book tells the story of Spotify’s rise from a small start-up to the biggest music streaming company in the world. This book has revealed several new information about Spotify. For example, Spotify had plans to enter video streaming market to compete with Netflix and others. It even created an entirely new file format called Spotify Video that will allow buffer free streaming. Spotify also had plans to release a streaming stick like Fire TV that support Spotify streaming services.

This book also revealed that Microsoft had plans to acquire Spotify, but there is no information on when this happened. Microsoft had its own music streaming platform called Groove Music and it was killed in early 2018. At that time, Microsoft even partnered with Spotify to allow Groove Music Pass subscribers to easily transition existing music collections and playlists to Spotify with a few clicks. Microsoft also offered a 60-day free trial of Spotify Premium to select Groove Music customers.
    01-09-2020 04:51 AM
38 12