Microsoft must acquire Spotify

fantasy122

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
This is an article written by Google Translator, so please understand.

I think Microsoft should take over Spotify.
Microsoft has now closed its music business, Groove Music.
Zune Music, Xbox Music, and Groove Music have fewer supported countries and no family plans.
It was a terrible service.
But Spotify is in service in 65 countries, at least more than Groove Music.
Spotify has family plans and student discounts, and there are apps in the Microsoft Store.
Microsoft's mobile business has been ruined, but Satya Nadella, CEO, is still launching a variety of Microsoft apps on Android and iOS.
If you buy Spotify, you can compete with Apple Music at once.
Google's YouTube Music can also be exceeded.
I think Microsoft should re-enter the music business.
I wonder what other people think.

Again, using Google Translator may not be sufficient for expression.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not that they want or need a presence in music, it's that they do not want it at all so acquiring Spotify won't really do much for them.

reomw

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site

Zune Music, Xbox Music, and Groove Music have fewer supported countries and no family plans.
Spotify has family plans and student discounts, and there are apps in the Microsoft Store.
Microsoft's mobile business has been ruined, but Satya Nadella, CEO, is still launching a variety of Microsoft apps on Android and iOS.

Nooooo. Please God no! I am not one of these morons that claim Microsoft ruins everything they buy. Exactly the opposite. I dont give a damn about Spotify, despite being an user and actually like it a lot. I just fully understand Satyas agenda turning Microsoft into a developer tools company and caring about productivity and creativity. Being a tool maker and the best business (yes ms is b2b MOSTLY, with the exceptions of Xbox and movies and video). I think MS should stay away from consumer cheesy crap like entertainment like others. What's next - producing tv shows like Apple and Amazon? No.

DontBeEvil10

May 31, 2017
Visit site

yes

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Nah, I don't see enough value in it. There's not even that much money in streaming music services - it's hard to break even selling unlimited streaming for $10 a month and needing to give the music distributors their cut and all the costs to maintain it. So the only argument is "every OS needs their own music service", which... does it really, or does it just need to be able to access them?

Just partner with them, help them make really good quality Windows apps. No need to own them.

Brian Mueller

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
This only makes sense if they go all in on entertainment. If they bought Spotify, they should also buy Netflix then bundle them together with Xbox game pass. This would give a lot of value to the consumer. They could also morph mixer into a YouTube competitor as well and bundle in services like one drive storage and ad free email. Of course if they did this, they would still have to support all other platforms and still allow them to be subscribed to separately.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm with ryanlrobinson and Brian.
They don't need to own'em. Just need to help'em with Win10 and Xbox integration. If they felt the need to own it, then go all in and bundle other services together, take down the market once and for all. (It's a hard road cause "monopoly"?, govs and existing dealers will want to have a word with MS for sure.)

Duke Nukem1

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Groove was vastly superior to Spotify, looked cleaner, better navigation, better exploration of similar music, etc. The margins in streaming music are razor thin and Spotify has nothing to prevent a competitor with deep pockets from moving in and kicking its butt.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I think it would make sense if they also bought Sonos as well. That would be a solid foothold for Cortana to become a true Siri, Alexa, Ok Google competitor. And that's what the long game is about.

George Karapetyan

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
with expected losses of over 230 million only in 2018 ( official from Spotofy q1 results) and no strong foothold of microsoft in the consumer business, this does not make mich sense. google or apple go into music business as they have the phone users. although apple and googke dont make much money out of this business anyway. googles end game is to keep u invested in the android platform and apple wants to keep u in its own ecosystem. this info flows into their digital assistants, and opens doors for other offerings. but microsoft is heavily invested in productivity. of their vision is to empower people to do more and achieve more, i dont see how entertainment business fots into this. they stopped groove just for that reason. not because its not making money buy because they could let partnerships fill in the gap and focus( invest) in productivity. so far its worked very well for microsoft . this focus and Nadella's strategy has trippled the share price. 2014 one share cost 28 usd now its almost 90 usd. what microsoft could do asa protection, is to buy 15% or however much it is necessary to not allow a "Domination and Profit and Loss Transfer Agreement" to make sure that google, amazon or another big player doesnt caquire spotify.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
It wouldn't. They already had Groove and gave up on it, why bother. I would only buy it if Google decided to buy it considering their track record with not putting they're apps in other ecosystems

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12