Will foldable phones be the next big thing?

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Its true that most major tech company today is working on some type of foldable display.
It may improve things a bit if costing is done properly, but I don't think that it can result in a massive shift in the way we use devices.

Having said that, what can really change the status quo is the ability to use one device for all our needs without compromising performance or battery. That can easily be done through cloud. Foldable or not, does not matter that much.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I think foldable fans will be tried by some manufacturers who can afford the risk (e.g. Samsung)m but it won't be mainstream until someone like Apple jumps on the bandwagon.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think foldable phones will become popular due to the lack of ease of use. Unfolding and folding a device when removing it from and inserting it into one's pocket adds extra steps that reduce convenience for the user.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I think if they do it right, it can be very popular, like for instance no break in the screen or no hinge viewable..

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Flip phone devices and the HTC Touchpro phones were variations on similar form factors. Please, I hope they take one handed use into account, for at least some basic uses like shooting photos, making calls, and triggering Cortana. Ease of access / universal accessibility for everyone, please.

Last edited:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think foldable phones will become popular due to the lack of ease of use. Unfolding and folding a device when removing it from and inserting it into one's pocket adds extra steps that reduce convenience for the user.
I gotta agree with Laura on this one.
I think the foldable phone that everybody wants to see is a good 10 to 15 years off.

Current phones are really thin, and are only getting thinner. A foldable phone that's thicker than what people are using now just won't fly.

Screens that can fold completely in half to the width of current phones without screen distortion or permanent screen damage is currently a dream.

OEMs like LG and Samsung have spent millions on making extremely vibrant and beautiful screens. The first generation truly seemless foldable screens will most likely take major leaps backward as far as image quality is concerned.

All of this is speculation on my part. Our ideal idea of a foldable phone is doable, just not with our current technology.

Until the foldable phone looks and works better than the current flagships, I don't think it'll be the next great thing. That is, until Apple steals the idea a few years later.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site

I also have similar thoughts about foldable phones. But if that is true, then why is Microsoft, Google, Apple & Samsung investing so much time & money in it. Even people are eagerly waiting for some foldable andromeda device. Such enthusiasm feels illogical. The truth is no company today seems to be doing something that can take us to the next level. That is discouraging.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I'd rather take small phone and lightweight VR headset (self-powered or phone-driven, maybe both - for wide variety of entertaining and proper use). No folding, huge screen, 3D... Can't be used while driving 😂

AR glasses would solve the problem of folding phones and big displays by projecting the screen in thin air. Maybe in my lifetime 😉

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I also have similar thoughts about foldable phones. But if that is true, then why is Microsoft, Google, Apple & Samsung investing so much time & money in it. Even people are eagerly waiting for some foldable andromeda device. Such enthusiasm feels illogical. The truth is no company today seems to be doing something that can take us to the next level. That is discouraging.
I think they are all in a race to come up with the next feature they can pitch in the name of advancing the technology. That's it. It's just a cool selling point that will add clout to their range of devices. To me, it's similar to the push for under the screen fingerprint readers. Definitely cool tech, but really not necessary. I mean, rear mounted fingerprint readers, Iris scanners, and face recognition cameras are just as good, or even better. But, cool tech is a selling point for sure.
I deal with office documents quite a bit with my work, and while onscreen keyboards are useful at times, nothing beats a larger screen and a physical keyboard for Excel and Word for me. I really don't do much real typing on my tablets. I skim through documents, but I always go to a real keyboard for any real editing. That might just be me though.
The push for foldable screens is marketing, that's it. I'm sure whichever company gets it out there first will have developed a really good marketing campaign that will convince a lot of people that they just have to have it, even though they really don't.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
the thing that interests me most about a folding phone is the hope it will be durable enough to stick in my pocket without fear of scratching the screen with my keys. I need my phone to be a tool, not a piece of delicate jewelry.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
I think they are all in a race to come up with the next feature they can pitch in the name of advancing the technology. That's it. It's just a cool selling point that will add clout to their range of devices. To me, it's similar to the push for under the screen fingerprint readers. Definitely cool tech, but really not necessary. I mean, rear mounted fingerprint readers, Iris scanners, and face recognition cameras are just as good, or even better. But, cool tech is a selling point for sure.
I deal with office documents quite a bit with my work, and while onscreen keyboards are useful at times, nothing beats a larger screen and a physical keyboard for Excel and Word for me. I really don't do much real typing on my tablets. I skim through documents, but I always go to a real keyboard for any real editing. That might just be me though.
The push for foldable screens is marketing, that's it. I'm sure whichever company gets it out there first will have developed a really good marketing campaign that will convince a lot of people that they just have to have it, even though they really don't.

That can be true. But there can be another angle to this. May be these companies are running out of ideas. They just don't know what to do next that will different. Looking at companies adding 4 rear cameras feels a desperate attempt. I wonder if the rear of Galaxy S12 will filled with cameras, like 40 of them, few of them will even capture interstellar images :p

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That can be true. But there can be another angle to this. May be these companies are running out of ideas. They just don't know what to do next that will different. Looking at companies adding 4 rear cameras feels a desperate attempt. I wonder if the rear of Galaxy S12 will filled with cameras, like 40 of them, few of them will even capture interstellar images :p
Ha ha. I totally agree. That's a really good point.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Foldable phones could be the next big thing, if the design is well supported by the hardware. I would compare it with desktop and Laptop.

Laptops surely are an updated version of desktop. And they are doing pretty well.

I think the USP of laptop was it's mobility. Initially they were not that powerful. But now, they even run core i5 without fans!

The same applies to smartphones. Yes they are super portable but they are not that powerful. Companies should focus on something that can make them more powerful. And this time, it has to be more than just powerful processors!

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
the thing that interests me most about a folding phone is the hope it will be durable enough to stick in my pocket without fear of scratching the screen with my keys. I need my phone to be a tool, not a piece of delicate jewelry.

not trying to sound like a smart ***.... but maybe try not putting your keys in the same pocket as your phone? I mean who does that? lol I always NEVER put my keys with my phone...

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
well I think most of you are forgetting is that they're are really getting advanced in the OLED screens nowadays... they're super thin and super flexible.. so making a fold-able phone isn't the problem. and I disagree with laura, it takes no less than a second! I see TONS of people using cases that fold closed/open so why not a fold-able screen? you would have to be seriously lazy/lethargic to be hindered by folding a screen! I mean cmon!

if they can make a phone like the pic below, they would kick a$$! and also make it a TRULY portable PC/phone!.. I would be running to MS store and throwing my money at them LOL

Attachments

• microsoft-foldable-surface-phone-feature-v2-720x720.jpg
    microsoft-foldable-surface-phone-feature-v2-720x720.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 19

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
not trying to sound like a smart ***.... but maybe try not putting your keys in the same pocket as your phone? I mean who does that? lol I always NEVER put my keys with my phone...

Oh, I try very hard not to, but sometimes I get in situations where I just don't have the luxury to concern myself with keys nor phones and they just end up in the same pocket; NOT by design or intent, but because of my mind is focusing on the multiple tasks in need of my full attention and it just happens. But my point is that I am tired of having to have to make an conscious effort NOT to mix the two...everytime, or suffer potential major scratch damage. I used to have a screen protector to guard against such errors in actions, but as I still use a 950XL, I cannot find a suitable replacement.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Only if consumers want them I bet. The problem with that is that it is like predicting the weather. Stuff is slung out at us left and right to see what sticks.

Makers and media put out there all kinds of ideas and draw conclusions. In some cases maybe it is investment for RnD too. If it does not sell well though or strike interest enough it won't be the next thing. Just a phone that folds is nothing special imo. It has a folding feature. Clam shells had that and were totally pocketable. Smaller screen on half the phone but of course to us are ancient now. A device that folds that can leverage its folding feature incorporating capabilities which are not available now for phones or even in tables/laptops, that might be of more interest.

Justin321

Jan 30, 2019
Visit site
The idea of a fordable phone is simply, really a large device that can fold into a smaller one. Its going to change the whole smart phone industry in the near future shareit.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb