When were you last excited about a phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
With the recent announcement that Microsoft is prioritising a laptop sized duel screen device and downgrading Andromeda's status internally, it's blatantly evident that iOS and Android are going to be the only 2 pocket pc platforms for the next decade....or longer.

I made the switch to Android myself over a year ago. I gave up on my Lumia 950 and went with a OnePlus 5T.

I was never excited with my 950 and only upgraded because I'd spent 2 years with my Lumia 1520 and was caught in the 24 month upgrade cycle.

The last phone that really excited me was my 1520. I loved unboxing that device. The screen was insanely good, the camera was amazing and, when windows phone 8.1 arrived along with cortana, it became a fantastic machine.

That was 2013. Since then, it's been a bleak, unimaginative landscape of glass and aluminium rectangles.

What was the last phone you bought that excited you?

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
We get excited every time we buy a new phone LOL. Seriously we do as in most cased our decisions were based on prior research which usually heightens the anticipation once we've come to a decision on what to buy. So essentially my last was the P20 Pro and very happy with it.

Now if you asked "which phone, or OS, were you least excited about" weeeell... don't think it'd be too hard to figure this one out. :wink: - OS makes up the majority of the experience.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm a cell phone guy so I'm always excited about something. Like you I was REALLY excited about the 1520, but since then the Honor 8 and BlackBerry Keyone had caught my attention. The last phone that got me excitd though is the BlackBerry Key2 (which Im typing on right now).

But man I miss that 1520. I remember people joking about how big it was . It was before it's time.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm a cell phone guy so I'm always excited about something. Like you I was REALLY excited about the 1520, but since then the Honor 8 and BlackBerry Keyone had caught my attention. The last phone that got me excitd though is the BlackBerry Key2 (which Im typing on right now).

But man I miss that 1520. I remember people joking about how big it was . It was before it's time.

I second the Honor 8.

Before then though, the iPhone SE just because of the specs and the form factor at the time. I changed my phones a lot but that one was hard to give up. Not many other iPhones have excited me since. Well, the Xr was very fascinating but too big to keep. So I guess the SE and the Xr. lol

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I second the Honor 8.

Before then though, the iPhone SE just because of the specs and the form factor at the time. I changed my phones a lot but that one was hard to give up. Not many other iPhones have excited me since. Well, the Xr was very fascinating but too big to keep. So I guess the SE and the Xr. lol
The Honor 8 was such a great phone that I can't lie...sometimes I'm tempted to buy one again. Loved the form factor on that thing.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 920 was about it for me, and now that's back in 2012...

Nothing has really changed in the world of phones since then. They've gotten faster, higher res, but it did just about everything I wanted.

I am following closely on the rumored Nokia 9 though, hopefully the camera is great, it's kind of what I'm holding out for. My L950 is almost done.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
When I used to use a Windows Phone. Simple. I was excited because I enjoyed using Windows Phone devices. Now, being on Android, a phone is nothing but a tool. I see no reason to buy the latest and greatest models anymore, whereas, back in the day, I was really excited to upgrade from the Lumia 950XL to the Elite X3.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
When I used to use a Windows Phone. Simple. I was excited because I enjoyed using Windows Phone devices. Now, being on Android, a phone is nothing but a tool. I see no reason to buy the latest and greatest models anymore, whereas, back in the day, I was really excited to upgrade from the Lumia 950XL to the Elite X3.

Think you're experiencing on Android what they call a "technology advancement plateau or lull". No longer are we seeing big jumps here instead being offered gimmicky designs/features along with higher prices - My 3-4 year old Droids are pretty much as capable as our 2018 model so what real reason is there to upgrade other than to say "I got the latest and greatest".

IMHO WP still HAD a ways to go towards perfecting it which helped keep that excitement alive. Truly think though if WP had flourished to a reasonable degree it too would have reached a plateau similar to what we are seeing with the others. And we can understand your excitement upgrading from 950 XL to Elite x3 since it's like going from a Chevy Impala to a Porsche of sorts (premium look, faster CPU/GPU, more storage/RAM, larger battery), a noticeable improvement for the times (camera notwithstanding).

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Think you're experiencing on Android what they call a "technology advancement plateau or lull". No longer are we seeing big jumps here instead being offered gimmicky designs/features along with higher prices - My 3-4 year old Droids are pretty much as capable as our 2018 model so what real reason is there to upgrade other than to say "I got the latest and greatest".

IMHO WP still HAD a ways to go towards perfecting it which helped keep that excitement alive. Truly think though if WP had flourished to a reasonable degree it too would have reached a plateau similar to what we are seeing with the others. And we can understand your excitement upgrading from 950 XL to Elite x3 since it's like going from a Chevy Impala to a Porsche of sorts (premium look, faster CPU/GPU, more storage/RAM, larger battery), a noticeable improvement for the times (camera notwithstanding).

To be honest, I was just happy, at the time, to be using a Windows Phone. Something about it felt more personal to me than using an iPhone or Android (and still today, it's the same for me). I really loved both the 950XL and the Elite X3. But yes, you are right, the Elite X3 is the far superior phone.

There will, no doubt, be a technology advancement plateau, like you said. In fact, I think it is already here. That's why, perhaps this year, it won't be the latest specs that convince us to spend tons of money on the latest iPhone or Android phone, but rather how the phone is used, or its form factor. Perhaps that is why foldable phones may be the next big thing?

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
To be honest, I was just happy, at the time, to be using a Windows Phone. Something about it felt more personal to me than using an iPhone or Android (and still today, it's the same for me). I really loved both the 950XL and the Elite X3. But yes, you are right, the Elite X3 is the far superior phone.

There will, no doubt, be a technology advancement plateau, like you said. In fact, I think it is already here. That's why, perhaps this year, it won't be the latest specs that convince us to spend tons of money on the latest iPhone or Android phone, but rather how the phone is used, or its form factor. Perhaps that is why foldable phones may be the next big thing?

I was very happy w/Windows Phone too with its unique UI, prior to ten that is, and yeah can somewhat agree it did feel more personable... I used BlackBerry/Droid for a period before diving in w/8.0. Fired up/updated my L950 the other day but the OS feels too outdated now (sluggish/unrefined) for MY standards with the app-gap having broadened too much. Really wish the outcome for Windows Phone had been different.

Nope plateau has already arrived for me cuz now every time we see a new device (Android/iOS) the first thing I see is $$$$ signs rather than its abilities LOL. Sad but true. Not so sure a foldable device will be the answer either as it rings novelty, or for the rich-n-famous :winktongue:, more than anything else but one never knows do we. Thankfully those of us using Droids can still find very capable devices not costing an arm and a leg being mostly void of gimmicky attributes... Apple slid out of the picture on the cheap front some time ago basically making things a one horse race at the moment, not a good thing neither in my opinion. Curious to see if the wrath Apple is feeling as of late due to their extreme pricing will have an impact in lowering prices. My gut feeling says yes.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I was very happy w/Windows Phone too with its unique UI, prior to ten that is, and yeah can somewhat agree it did feel more personable... I used BlackBerry/Droid for a period before diving in w/8.0. Fired up/updated my L950 the other day but the OS feels too outdated now (sluggish/unrefined) for MY standards with the app-gap having broadened too much. Really wish the outcome for Windows Phone had been different.

Nope plateau has already arrived for me cuz now every time we see a new device (Android/iOS) the first thing I see is $$$$ signs rather than its abilities LOL. Sad but true. Not so sure a foldable device will be the answer either as it rings novelty, or for the rich-n-famous :winktongue:, more than anything else but one never knows do we. Thankfully those of us using Droids can still find very capable devices not costing an arm and a leg being mostly void of gimmicky attributes... Apple slid out of the picture on the cheap front some time ago basically making things a one horse race at the moment, not a good thing neither in my opinion. Curious to see if the wrath Apple is feeling as of late due to their extreme pricing will have an impact in lowering prices. My gut feeling says yes.
Ya... there really is nothing truly new out.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Ya... there really is nothing truly new out.

I see new in terms of devices but stagnation in terms of innovation. The latter evident by manufactures adding in-display front cameras/fingerprint sensors, curved displays, notches, bezel-less designs, removing headphone jacks, and so on. Sure to some these can add to a devices aesthetic but on the functionality front, they do little for me personally except increase the price because - wait for it - it's NEW and innovative. :cool:

I've just become old school and a penny pincher so don't mind me :winktongue:

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I see new in terms of devices but stagnation in terms of innovation. The latter evident by manufactures adding in-display front cameras/fingerprint sensors, curved displays, notches, bezel-less designs, removing headphone jacks, and so on. Sure to some these can add to a devices aesthetic but on the functionality front, they do little for me personally except increase the price because - wait for it - it's NEW and innovative. :cool:
Exactly! I've got a Blackberry Key2 (which I bought to try as it something "new"for this market) and a Mate 9. And while I really do love my Berry, in the end I'll probably go back to my Mate 9 as my DD. That's how much the market has not changed to me.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Exactly! I've got a Blackberry Key2 (which I bought to try as it something "new"for this market) and a Mate 9. And while I really do love my Berry, in the end I'll probably go back to my Mate 9 as my DD. That's how much the market has not changed to me.

I've got the Motion (the fuggly child ya know LOL) and P20 Pro and guess which one is my DD. Yup da Motion. Although the Motion's camera sucks b@lls big time the rest of it is the smoothest most pleasurable phone to use that I have ever owned, fingerprint sensor is plain awesome, and that 4000mAh battery is a beast... P20 same battery rating yet overall rating in terms of phone use isn't quite the same, is obviously my camera phone meaning carrying two devices most times. Right there is proof to me high specs aren't necessarily a necessity in getting-er-done.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I've got the Motion (the fuggly child ya know LOL) and P20 Pro and guess which one is my DD. Yup da Motion. Although the Motion's camera sucks b@lls big time the rest of it is the smoothest most pleasurable phone to use that I have ever owned, fingerprint sensor is plain awesome, and that 4000mAh battery is a beast... P20 same battery rating yet overall rating in terms of phone use isn't quite the same, is obviously my camera phone meaning carrying two devices most times. Right there is proof to me high specs aren't necessarily a necessity in getting-er-done.
Right! I'm out right now caring my Mate 9 for for pics while I'd prefer to carry my Berry. Lol. Oh first world problems. Lol

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Right! I'm out right now caring my Mate 9 for for pics while I'd prefer to carry my Berry. Lol. Oh first world problems. Lol

Could there be a correlation between the death of Steve Jobs and the descreased level of innovation in the phone industry?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Could there be a correlation between the death of Steve Jobs and the descreased level of innovation in the phone industry?

No, but you could make a case that with the death of webOS there was a marked dropoff in innovation. Wireless charging, touch to share, gesture based UI, social media integration - all webOS firsts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3