Acer Predator X34 Monitor Question

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Hello. I didn't really know where to post this hardware question, so I'm starting it in the O.T. category.

I'm hoping someone here can offer me some useful information. I've placed a posting in the Acer -> Gaming -> Predator Monitors community site back on 10-19, but so far nobody has replied, so I'm hoping someone here has something to add.

Hello. I've searched and read all the various postings about the Acer Predator X34 Display Port issues, and I've tried different suggestions, but none helped. I'm wondering if my Display Port in the monitor is dying?

I purchased this monitor new and it has worked perfectly for the past 3 years and 6 months. About 2 months ago I started having a problem where the screen would flicker, sometimes multi-colored lines would appear across the screen, and then it would go black. Infrequently it would come back after 5-15 minutes, but usually the only way I could get it back was to restart my PC. This would happen no matter what I was doing on my PC.

When the screen would go blank, I would switch over to the HDMI setting and my secondary PC would show up fine. Primary PC is connected via Display Port, secondary PC connected via HDMI. I'm currently using my primary PC connected via HDMI because it's just too frustrating to use DP because it might go a day without the problem, or it might be only five minutes.

I have tried checking to make sure the DP connection is tight on both the PC and the monitor, tried using a brand new and different DP cable, updated to current video drivers and even rolled back to a driver I knew was working before this started, all to no avail. I have two video cards and swapped the video cards in case the DP port on the first card was going bad, problem persisted. I made sure all settings in the X34's menu were fine. I was using a refresh rate at the O.C. of 100 and tried dropping it down to various lower rates, problem persisted. One day when the screen started going crazy it went black but then came back looking like the image below. I don't recall what the resolution went to, but the only refresh rate available was 50. I was not able to change any settings at this point. After doing a restart of the PC, it was back to normal full resolution and refresh rate of 100 again.

MointorWTF.png

Here is the tag from my monitor.
Acer X34.png

The monitor is past warranty. I know there have been many people with this monitor having similar problems and from what I've read, the only solution is to send it back to Acer, but I don't have that option as it's past warranty. One post I read mentioned replacing the board inside that the DP is connected to. Has anyone had success doing this, and if so, how do I find the part that I'd need to order and from whom?

I'm really sad about this because I have dual Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming WATERFORCE 8G cards set up in SLI. That only works if I'm using a DP connection, and the over-clocking is only possible with a DP connection as well.

Can anyone give me some recommendations, please? I realize my monitor is one of the early releases (2016), and that there were plenty of problems, but my problems only started a couple of months ago after 3.5 years. I'd sure like to get more than 3.5 years use out of this $1,000+ monitor if I can.

Thank you in advance for your time and recommendations.

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
It appears nobody has anything to say or any suggestions, and now today it's starting to go wonky with the HDMI connection, so I guess it's just a $1,000+ piece of junk.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Acer might fix it but it's going to cost a pretty penny since it's out of warranty. I'm not sure what can be done without sending it to a repair shop of some kind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism