Syncing your Windows Libraries with Skydrive using the Windows Application

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
A feature that many people don't know of is that you can use the Skydrive Windows App ( https://apps.live.com/skydrive) to sync your personal files with Skydrive.

For example, syncing your Documents:

Go to your Documents library - Right Click the Documents folder - Go to the "Location" tab - Click "Move" - Select a folder in Skydrive (for example, Documents).

You can also do this with the Music, Pictures, Podcasts, and Videos libraries.

Using this simple method, I have all my files acessible anywhere and permanently synced with all my devices using Skydrive.

A few screenshots are attached as an example.

ilsonfan

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
It is worth it. If your PC dies then at least you'll have a copy of these files still on SkyDrive whereas just using Fetch will be useless.

klynn

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Is this syning the files or is it moving the files from my hard drive to Skydrive?

I'd prefer to have all my files left on my hard drive so I'm not dependent on internet access, but I would love to have them sync to Skydrive in case my hard drive crashes and so I can work on the files from another computer if I needed to.

I currently have a Carbonite subscription to backup my files but if I could use my Skydrive for this purpose that would be even better.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Is this syning the files or is it moving the files from my hard drive to Skydrive?

I'd prefer to have all my files left on my hard drive so I'm not dependent on internet access, but I would love to have them sync to Skydrive in case my hard drive crashes and so I can work on the files from another computer if I needed to.

I currently have a Carbonite subscription to backup my files but if I could use my Skydrive for this purpose that would be even better.

I don't see where there was an answer to this. Does anyone know?

*Edit - I actually do not see a locations tab when I am in the folder properties?

I am trying to sync my pictures on my pc to skydrive...is there an easy way?

*Edit #2 - It appears there is no way to change the location of only certain folders that are in your library to Skydrive, and there is no longer a sync option since Live Mesh went away. I guess I will have to look elsewhere for a product that will do what I want. To me this is a huge limitation to Skydrive and makes it pretty much useless to me. Hopefully this is something that MS can add.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
This is a nice tip and suggestion, and I do this on my computers as well.

My plan is to NOT install the Windows Desktop App on systems with small storage, and just pin the web site to the taskbar on those systems so I can access by web only but keep all my major systems synced up for quick access and backups.

I think the only thing I'd add to SkyDrive at this point is a File History/Undelete option to make it a true backup option.

The only glitch I run into is that I have so much stuff synced to SkyDrive that my Titan takes FOREVER to show file listings in the Office Hub (if it does at all). I generally have to stick to the SkyDrive app and launch documents from there.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
*Edit #2 - It appears there is no way to change the location of only certain folders that are in your library to Skydrive, and there is no longer a sync option since Live Mesh went away. I guess I will have to look elsewhere for a product that will do what I want. To me this is a huge limitation to Skydrive and makes it pretty much useless to me. Hopefully this is something that MS can add.

Microsoft already announced that they're working on the "per folder" approach, but it sounds like you're overthinking this (as are a lot of people).

The purpose of moving your libraries into the SkyDrive folder is to automate a FULL SYNC, meaning all files appear on computer AND SkyDrive. To me, this is more of a backup option and availability option.

For your purposes, it sounds like you only want to sync certain things. As such, the easiest is to manually create a folder structure on SkyDrive to your liking, and just copy or move the stuff you want (like Pictures, for example) to SkyDrive folders.

Also if you enable the Remote Access option, you can use SkyDrive.com to access your computer as long as it's Internet connected and retrieve files that way for the files you don't bother syncing.

It's only slightly more work than having the folder features you (and many) are requesting.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft already announced that they're working on the "per folder" approach, but it sounds like you're overthinking this (as are a lot of people).

The purpose of moving your libraries into the SkyDrive folder is to automate a FULL SYNC, meaning all files appear on computer AND SkyDrive. To me, this is more of a backup option and availability option.

For your purposes, it sounds like you only want to sync certain things. As such, the easiest is to manually create a folder structure on SkyDrive to your liking, and just copy or move the stuff you want (like Pictures, for example) to SkyDrive folders.

Also if you enable the Remote Access option, you can use SkyDrive.com to access your computer as long as it's Internet connected and retrieve files that way for the files you don't bother syncing.

It's only slightly more work than having the folder features you (and many) are requesting.

I do want a full sync, to be used as a backup for my important pictures. The issue I have with unable to select certain folders is I have 60GB or so of pictures. I only want to sync about 20GB currently. That amount will continue to grow. If I am forced to sync my entire library, I have to purchase extra space. I have not problem in doing that, but I don't care so much about the other items. Once my important pictures grow about the space I have, I will be happy to purchase more. I actually just bought 50GB from Amazon to try them out. Currently I am also using Box. I would prefer to have everythign with Skydrive. I also backup everything to an external HD.

If I just create certain folders, and copy pictures to it, it is to easy to miss a few. If I just move entire folders over there, it takes way to long when I have 20GB.

I am looking forward to the fix. Should have been there from day one, but oh well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon