Uploading large files to Skydrive

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
As many of you probably know, the skydrive web interface has a pretty small max file size for uploads. I just found out that if you use the desktop app, you can actually drag and drop files up to 2GB. Since I am constantly sharing video files for work (self made), this is HUGE for me - and so I thought I would share.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The only downside is that the desktop app seems to sync painfully slow :( It also, sometimes, won't recognize that your desktop skydrive folder has been updated so falsely assumes that everything is up to date... sometimes you have to close and reopen the desktop app itself to be able to get it to see changes and start uploading.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The only downside is that the desktop app seems to sync painfully slow :( It also, sometimes, won't recognize that your desktop skydrive folder has been updated so falsely assumes that everything is up to date... sometimes you have to close and reopen the desktop app itself to be able to get it to see changes and start uploading.

I share some insensible work data over Skydrive using the desktop app, so I can work from everywhere on them, and I've never had the issue with the folders not being updated on 3 computers (2x W7, 1x W8) and my Windows Phone. I'm not sure about sync times (I seldom add more than a few hundred MB in a day) but never noticed any problems.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

I just uploaded about 2GB in about 45 minutes - which I would not call painfully slow. Also, when you just drag and drop into your skydrive folder, there is a symbol on the icon that shows whether the files are uploading. It changes into a check mark when the file is actually uploaded. To see on your other devices, just hit refresh.

Works GREAT for me.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I share some insensible work data over Skydrive using the desktop app, so I can work from everywhere on them, and I've never had the issue with the folders not being updated on 3 computers (2x W7, 1x W8) and my Windows Phone. I'm not sure about sync times (I seldom add more than a few hundred MB in a day) but never noticed any problems.
Well, glad to hear that someone out there isn't having any issues. My W8 desktop and W7 laptop both seem to be slow to notice a file that needs uploading :(

Strange thing is, usually when this would happen, all my folders would show green checks on them but if I went into the folder where I knew I uploaded a file, the file itself would be marked with the sync icon, the folder would be marked incorrectly with the green check, and skydrive would report up to date. Searching the problem online informed me that I'm definitely not the only one - I just kind of assumed it was the way the app worked, actually (i.e. Say it only checks for updates every 30 - 60 minutes... of course you wouldn't normally notice it, but you would if you had to leave the house right after saving a file and want to make sure it uploaded so you can have it where you're going)

Syncing is slow for some people. A couple threads with others having the "painfully slow" speed (i.e. One person taking 20 mins to upload a 67 mb file):
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/.../f96b4964-f98d-4065-8182-725237220f67?page=12
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-so-slow/47d1cc75-3ed8-4d34-a993-1ada5b94fc73

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, glad to hear that someone out there isn't having any issues. My W8 desktop and W7 laptop both seem to be slow to notice a file that needs uploading :(

Strange thing is, usually when this would happen, all my folders would show green checks on them but if I went into the folder where I knew I uploaded a file, the file itself would be marked with the sync icon, the folder would be marked incorrectly with the green check, and skydrive would report up to date. Searching the problem online informed me that I'm definitely not the only one - I just kind of assumed it was the way the app worked, actually (i.e. Say it only checks for updates every 30 - 60 minutes... of course you wouldn't normally notice it, but you would if you had to leave the house right after saving a file and want to make sure it uploaded so you can have it where you're going)

Syncing is slow for some people. A couple threads with others having the "painfully slow" speed (i.e. One person taking 20 mins to upload a 67 mb file):
Why is SkyDrive so slow?? - Microsoft Community
uploading files to skydrive is so slow - Microsoft Community

That is an odd issue to be sporadic and not consistent. I do have an extremely fast connection, maybe that has something to do with it. Of course, MS JUST updated skydrive, so maybe that has something to do with it as well. I just got an email from the Skydrive team reflecting improvements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786