So SkyDrive is Like Way Better Than DropBox, It Seems.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The only cloud storage system I use now is SkyDrive. I used SugarSync in the past but quit it. Now, for work I have to use Dropbox to 'share files' with 2 people I'm working on a project with. So, I begrudgingly went to www.dropbox.com to register and then it immediately tries to get me to download the app. I don't want the app. I just want to share a couple of files by uploading them to the website, which you can do in SkyDrive. But this doesn't seem to be possible. What kind of bull**** cloud storage system is this?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I use Dropbox on a PC, I haven't gotten their app or tried to use the website through my phone. I use Skydrive for everything Windows Phone because it's just so much easier through the phone - it's all integrated into the OS itself. I will have to get the app and try it out, though. It sounds like that's pretty much the only way you can upload anything from your phone using Dropbox.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I use Dropbox on a PC, I haven't gotten their app or tried to use the website through my phone. I use Skydrive for everything Windows Phone because it's just so much easier through the phone - it's all integrated into the OS itself. I will have to get the app and try it out, though. It sounds like that's pretty much the only way you can upload anything from your phone using Dropbox.

Even on PC, though, DropBox seems to be requiring me to download and install it, which I don't want to do. SkyDrive is nice because, if you want, you can solely use the website to upload and download files. But DropBox requires you to install software on all your computers, right? Plus, as you said, SkyDrive has apps for Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Phone, which is nice, particularly the seamless integration into Windows Phone.

anon(7935575)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I switched to skydrive from dropbox after buying Lumia. Dropbox never required to download software. It was entirely optional. Maybe try from another browser? Compatibility problems may be causing that.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk.

AskaLangly

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
My problem with SkyDrive is that I have to manually set sharing permission to each file, instead of making a shared folder (whatever is in that is automatically shared). I know there is a folder link and all, but I don't want to share an entire folder, just each file.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I switched to skydrive from dropbox after buying Lumia. Dropbox never required to download software. It was entirely optional. Maybe try from another browser? Compatibility problems may be causing that.

Now that the boss of the project has shared his folder with me, I can upload files via the website to that folder, as well as create new folders on there. So, it seems like it had to be triggered somehow first. That said, if I go to the Pictures area I cannot upload pictures via the website; it's still begging me to download the app. As much as possible I want to avoid doing that as I have no interest in using Dropbox once this project is over: then it's back to SkyDrive for good.

My problem with SkyDrive is that I have to manually set sharing permission to each file, instead of making a shared folder (whatever is in that is automatically shared). I know there is a folder link and all, but I don't want to share an entire folder, just each file.

I'm confused: first you lament that you have to share each file individually instead of making a shared folder, and then you lament that you can share an entire folder but you don't want to share an entire folder, just each file.

You can share individual files or you can share folders (and thus, all of the files in a folder). You can do both, so regardless of what you were lamenting about, I think you can do it.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi.
At present, I have files all over my PC harddisk. Some of which I want to put into Skydrive but some I don't. For those I do, I have to manually copy & paste them into the Skydrive folder. and that's troublesome. So is there a way or an apps that allows me to select which folders in my pc harddisk get into Skydrive without the need to physically do it?

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi.
At present, I have files all over my PC harddisk. Some of which I want to put into Skydrive but some I don't. For those I do, I have to manually copy & paste them into the Skydrive folder. and that's troublesome. So is there a way or an apps that allows me to select which folders in my pc harddisk get into Skydrive without the need to physically do it?

You can't do what you want to do with the built in SkyDrive in Windows 8.1 or with the official SkyDrive desktop app.I think Microsoft intended SkyDrive to be like that, so that people see it as a drive itself which you directly save to and work from, so their is no need to setup which folders and files to sync etc. However, like yourself, some people want to manually choose existing folders they want to upload and sync to SkyDrive. I believe you can only do it with 3rd party apps like this . I don't use it myself but it appears to be what you're looking for.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel