Anyone know if Microsoft plans to fix this? Especially if they are to up the OneDrive available space next month. I mean I record videos on my Lumia928 and I can't even watch them it takes so long to buffer. nd I have good internet connection. 55mbps should stream any 720p or 1080p just fine. But when I try to watch a video on my OneDrive it absolutely sucks. MSFT needs to fix this.
    06-24-2014 05:05 AM
    Anyone know if Microsoft plans to fix this? Especially if they are to up the OneDrive available space next month. I mean I record videos on my Lumia928 and I can't even watch them it takes so long to buffer. nd I have good internet connection. 55mbps should stream any 720p or 1080p just fine. But when I try to watch a video on my OneDrive it absolutely sucks. MSFT needs to fix this.
    I'm waiting for MS to correctly implement streaming capabilities for OneDrive too. For ages now, tbh. You should be aware though that this has nothing to do with bad bandwidth or server capabilities in this case. OneDrive is a file host with some additional features, not a streaming service. In order to have it stream high quality content (e.g. videos), it would need to support on the fly transcoding/compression and what not, which it currently simply doesn't.
    06-24-2014 05:09 AM
    Update: I just noticed if I go to OneDrive.live.com to see my OneDrive the videos are fine to watch. So it seems the OneDrive app on my laptop, surface pro 2, and phone app all have incredibly slow video problems. Hope they can fix this.
    06-24-2014 05:11 AM
    I'm waiting for MS to correctly implement streaming capabilities for OneDrive too. For ages now, tbh. You should be aware though that this has nothing to do with bad bandwidth or server capabilities in this case. OneDrive is a file host with some additional features, not a streaming service. In order to have it stream high quality content (e.g. videos), it would need to support on the fly transcoding/compression and what not, which it currently simply doesn't.
    If SkyDrive offered enough bandwidth, it would be no problem to play the video directly without additional transcoding or compression. The OP's 55Mb/s is enough to support several 1080p video files being played simultaneously.
    06-24-2014 05:13 AM
    You can't tell me when they are about to give all office 365 users 1tb of data that its only purpose is for files. I mean its built into windows phones to upload your pics and vids instantly. The problem seems to be within the apps though. See above for my update.
    06-24-2014 05:13 AM
    You can't tell me when they are about to give all office 365 users 1tb of data that its only purpose is for files. I mean its built into windows phones to upload your pics and vids instantly. The problem seems to be within the apps though. See above for my update.
    Surely the purpose of SkyDrive is exactly to support files? What else are you going to store there? You can try storing kiwi fruit or books or giraffes there if you like, but I can tell you that it doesn't work very well.
    06-24-2014 05:25 AM
    If SkyDrive offered enough bandwidth, it would be no problem to play the video directly without additional transcoding or compression. The OP's 55Mb/s is enough to support several 1080p video files being played simultaneously.
    That's still not how it works. It's not an issue in any local network, but as soon as an internet connection comes into play, transcoding/compression is a must. Do you think Hulu+, Netflix or even YouTube just host their content? It's much more than that. And these things are what OneDrive is still lacking. Which of course shouldn't be surprising as it's generally spoken still an online file storage. Nothing more, nothing less. Considering the evolution it has gone through in the last couple of months, Microsoft might add streaming capabilities sooner or later. Which would make perfect sense considering how WP, Windows and even the Xbox nowadays are connected to the cloud.
    06-24-2014 05:59 AM
    That's still not how it works. It's not an issue in any local network, but as soon as an internet connection comes into play, transcoding/compression is a must. Do you think Hulu+, Netflix or even YouTube just host their content? It's much more than that. And these things are what OneDrive is still lacking. Which of course shouldn't be surprising as it's generally spoken still an online file storage. Nothing more, nothing less. Considering the evolution it has gone through in the last couple of months, Microsoft might add streaming capabilities sooner or later. Which would make perfect sense considering how WP, Windows and even the Xbox nowadays are connected to the cloud.
    I'm very well aware of how video content is distributed on the Internet and I stand by my original statement. It's quite possible, and this is not really the same as Netflix or YouTube where large numbers of people watch the same content. It's a question of how much bandwidth is available between MS's server where your video is stored and your device, and the loading of that server and the network. An HD video uploaded from your phone is probably 5Mb/s or so. Cloud storage providers should be able to deliver a file more quickly than that in typical circumstances, and the user's device will do some buffering to deal with variations in throughput. As you will see in this thread, it generally seems to work even for SkyDrive, but there seems to be some problem with the app on WP.
    06-24-2014 06:14 AM
    I'm very well aware of how video content is distributed on the Internet and I stand by my original statement. It's quite possible, and this is not really the same as Netflix or YouTube where large numbers of people watch the same content. It's a question of how much bandwidth is available between MS's server where your video is stored and your device, and the loading of that server and the network. An HD video uploaded from your phone is probably 5Mb/s or so. Cloud storage providers should be able to deliver a file more quickly than that in typical circumstances, and the user's device will do some buffering to deal with variations in throughput. As you will see in this thread, it generally seems to work even for SkyDrive, but there seems to be some problem with the app on WP.
    I've tried it pretty much everywhere and it doesn't matter, if I use the WP app, Xbox or any browser on my Surface Pro. Even though WP is definitely the worst, videos are barely possible to watch due to permanent buffering. Like I've said before, OneDrive lacks streaming capabilities. Once they add it, you'll notice that it's working fine on all devices.
    Especially when it comes to WP, it can't be a specific issue with the OneDrive app, as it doesn't much more than launch the OS video player. The very moment it is launched, the OneDrive app doesn't do anything anymore.
    06-24-2014 07:14 AM
    I've tried it pretty much everywhere and it doesn't matter, if I use the WP app, Xbox or any browser on my Surface Pro. Even though WP is definitely the worst, videos are barely possible to watch due to permanent buffering. Like I've said before, OneDrive lacks streaming capabilities. Once they add it, you'll notice that it's working fine on all devices.
    Especially when it comes to WP, it can't be a specific issue with the OneDrive app, as it doesn't much more than launch the OS video player. The very moment it is launched, the OneDrive app doesn't do anything anymore.
    Looks like an issue with the video players then and perhaps SkyDrive. The technology used for network file access is not very optimal for video delivery, but given sufficient bandwidth and buffering, it should work. I have no problem watching videos stored on Dropbox using my Android phone.

Have you tried accessing the video files from SkyDrive using a non-Microsoft player?
    06-24-2014 09:33 AM
    Looks like an issue with the video players then and perhaps SkyDrive. The technology used for network file access is not very optimal for video delivery, but given sufficient bandwidth and buffering, it should work. I have no problem watching videos stored on Dropbox using my Android phone.

Have you tried accessing the video files from SkyDrive using a non-Microsoft player?
    I'm using VLC on my Surface Pro (the desktop version, not the Metro app) and the experience isn't really better.
    06-24-2014 09:41 AM
    Surely the purpose of SkyDrive is exactly to support files? What else are you going to store there? You can try storing kiwi fruit or books or giraffes there if you like, but I can tell you that it doesn't work very well.
    Hey smart a$$, you know what I meant. Not just office files but high Def photo, video, etc.
    06-24-2014 11:21 AM
    It's most likely app related. Like I said if I go to OneDrive.live.com I can stream my movie files with 98% buffer free interference, but on any OneDrive app whether it be phone, surface, or laptop. No dice
    06-24-2014 11:28 AM
    It's most likely app related. Like I said if I go to OneDrive.live.com I can stream my movie files with 98% buffer free interference, but on any OneDrive app whether it be phone, surface, or laptop. No dice
    Regarding the OneDrive app for WP, it simply can't be an issue with the app, as it doesn't do much more than perform a call to the OS videoplayer. Try Moliplayer and launch the video from there. I doubt it'll make any noticable difference.
    06-25-2014 02:22 AM
    It has to be the app. OneDrive.live.com will buffer and stream my videos perfectly. But the app won't.
    06-25-2014 05:07 AM
    It has to be the app. OneDrive.live.com will buffer and stream my videos perfectly. But the app won't.
    Please understand that it can't be the app due to how WP works. ;) It's rather the OS video player. Like I said, try Moliplayer.
    06-25-2014 05:27 AM
    It's the same result across all three windows devices. Phone, Surface, and Laptop.
    06-25-2014 05:31 AM
    It's the same result across all three windows devices. Phone, Surface, and Laptop.
    What happens if you don't launch from the OneDrive app(s) but from the file explorer?
    06-25-2014 06:02 AM
    Same thing from file explorer as well. I thought that might have been a good work around. I from opening within file explorer I have tried multiple viewers (windows media player, media player classic, video app, etc.) Only way to get it to buffer and stream without an incredibly long amount of lag is by going to onedrive.live.com.

So actually it isn't just the apps. But it seems the only way I can get a steady connection is via onedrive.live.com.

Interesting...
    06-25-2014 10:35 AM
    Same thing from file explorer as well. I thought that might have been a good work around. I from opening within file explorer I have tried multiple viewers (windows media player, media player classic, video app, etc.) Only way to get it to buffer and stream without an incredibly long amount of lag is by going to onedrive.live.com.

So actually it isn't just the apps. But it seems the only way I can get a steady connection is via onedrive.live.com.

Interesting...
    See? That's what I'm saying. It's definitely not an app issue. The issue is server side. Most likely because of missing streaming capabilities. No idea why it works in the browser though. I assume that the web frontend makes use of some web based transcoding/compression features. But that's really just a guess on my end. All in all I'm deeply hoping that Microsoft will sooner or later make OneDrive really streaming capable.
    snowwake8 likes this.
    06-25-2014 12:18 PM
    I as well. Especially with the announcement that they will be giving 1tb to office 365 users starting next month. I have a lot of photos and videos I wouldn't mind putting on there.
    dKp1977 likes this.
    06-25-2014 03:07 PM