09-09-2014 01:15 AM
62 123
tools
    No breach at Apple iCloud. Weak passwords lost these fools their information. Microsoft would look like idiots to attempt to capitalize on some feeble OneDrive promotion. The blogs would waste MS for months as a result.
    Laura Knotek, N_LaRUE and Pete like this.
    09-02-2014 10:52 PM
    How is this good news for MS? If you believe Leo, Paul and Mary Jo, Apple uses Microsoft Azure to run iCloud which i'm sure is the exact same thing that OneDrive uses.
    09-02-2014 11:07 PM
    Just saying, doesn't Microsoft have issues with their cloud service too? I mean, they'll suspend your account if you have pics like these, so people could say Microsoft watches over out stuff and is more vulnerable too...
    The policy was modified, they dont shut down your accounts anymore
    unstoppablekem and myfyp2 like this.
    09-02-2014 11:23 PM
    The policy was modified, they dont shut down your accounts anymore

These famous people should now use OneDrive! It is also safer :P
    techiez likes this.
    09-02-2014 11:25 PM
    There nothing as absolute security on any technology.
    There and there will be a flaw.
    Keep me mind nothing is unhackable.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-02-2014 11:27 PM
    With the news that more than 100 icloud accounts belonging to actors and singers have been hacked using the brute force attack, shouldn't Microsoft make a campaign around the fact that OneDrive is a much safer/securer option for users. I'm not saying give these people free windows phones.... Just steer them towards OneDrive....
    You can't keep nudity on OneDrive and most of those celebs had nudes on their iCloud. Also, Microsoft actually checks your mail/cloud to see if you have anything "morally unsuitable" (You know, these corporations are all very morally upright and you should be the same),

That said...there is no safe cloud in general, even less if it's in the US. Cloud is not safe. Full stop. It will never be. Something residing in someone else's device (in this case a server) whose safety is based on shaky promises and as shaky encryption in a country where spying and technocontrol has become accepted and standardized is an empty promise.
    09-03-2014 03:13 AM
    You can't keep nudity on OneDrive and most of those celebs had nudes on their iCloud. Also, Microsoft actually checks your mail/cloud to see if you have anything "morally unsuitable" (You know, these corporations are all very morally upright and you should be the same),

That said...there is no safe cloud in general, even less if it's in the US. Cloud is not safe. Full stop. It will never be. Something residing in someone else's device (in this case a server) whose safety is based on shaky promises and as shaky encryption in a country where spying and technocontrol has become accepted and standardized is an empty promise.
    I don't have anything in cloud services that I wouldn't mind sharing publicly.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    09-03-2014 03:19 AM
    09-03-2014 03:54 AM
    I don't have anything in cloud services that I wouldn't mind sharing publicly.
    That denies a fully functional use of the cloud Laura. What you keep in the cloud is not what everybody else wants. iCloud case is clearly an example. These people put their personal stuff in the cloud and it got busted.

I could reap huge benefits from the cloud as i could keep my translation memories there and then use them remotely from any PC with my CAT software. I can't because i am responsible for that data. Should it be used, reused, distributed or else i'd be responsible for it. The intrinsic nature of the cloud + all what the NSA does have put off a lot of customers (more than the press and average people seem to understand).

Once you can't use the cloud for stuff you need or want because you have doubts then it's a platform for trash essentially. Do i really have to care buying or using cloud platforms to put my pics on it when paying once rather than once a year i can have my own external disk with wifi or remote connection and connect to it anytime from anywhere anyways?

I use 2 external disks. One is connected to PC. The other is wifi or IP connected and can connect also when out or even abroad if i want. I do have one backup on the cloud on an European platform and that's keeping an encrypted copy of my hard disk which uploaded periodically. But the rest is local. Also, OneDrive never worked good for me anyways. Files i upload from PC won't show on Lumia and the other way round. Files with a certain amount of characters won't upload (Mega doesn't have this issue for example). Files uploaded for a research study disappeared a few times forcing me to remake the whole research. I never mentioned in here but OneDrive for me isn't reliable at all. Also, the fact me or my wife if i had one as adults can't put what we want in our cloud is absurd. What people have come to accept as normal in the US as they are being stripped of their dignity little by little is beyond imagination.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-2014 04:54 AM
    Microsoft doesn't have teams of people trawling through your OneDrive accounts looking for inappropriate images - they'll only act on content that has been flagged as inappropriate by other users. They do, however, scan accounts for known images by running a signature scan.

These iPhone owning celebrities (and far more people, I'm sure) have fallen foul of the exact same functionality as we have (photos are automatically uploaded to a hosting site). Once you set that option, it's easy to forget that it's there. If someone guesses the password for your Microsoft account, then you're opened up in the same way.

Two step authentication goes a long way to preventing this from happening. They key thing (at least for me) is appropriate use - I know that photos/videos will be uploaded to OneDrive, so I don't take any photos I wouldn't want my mother seeing (it's the baseline I use for any content I create on the internet, regardless of whether it's protected/hidden or not.

Getting back to the thread topic, I don't believe that it's ethical or professional conduct to capitalise on another providers security weaknesses - when it comes to security, providers should help and learn from one another to raise the bar across all platforms. This is why Formula 1 is as safe as it is today.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-2014 05:00 AM
    Strong password and two step authentication make it easier to prevent these hacking incidents.
    09-03-2014 05:23 AM
    Nothing is unhackable. The only reason why iCloud was targeted was because it has more users including celebrities. If OneDrive was used by majority of celebrities, it would've been hacked just as easily.
    Advice to anyone using Onedrive - Take a look at Boxcryptor, I use it myself, it encrypts everything on Onedrive so hackers cant get your stuff. Its a German based company that takes privacy super serious. Theres a free version which allows you to use 2 devices, eg PC and Mobile, works great!
    09-03-2014 06:31 AM
    Why not, apple folks have claimed for years their product is more secure. We kept saying all along it is because they are a small eco-system. Times are a changing...
    09-03-2014 08:45 AM
    These cloud storage services desperately need to begin rolling out an end-to-end encryption service. It can be optional, but you should be able to establish the key with the implicit understanding that if you screw up and lose the key, you lose access to your data.

It's a shame that you sound like a raving paranoid talking like this, but we know that the US Government compels personal data from Google, Microsoft, Apple and more, not to mention that issues like this with password management makes users more vulnerable.
    09-03-2014 09:28 AM

Quick question..... Did you intentionally skip what I wrote where I showed exactly what their ToS were or did you just read it and decided to write this anyways. Yes, you are allowed to keep nude photos on OneDrive, you're just not allowed to put them in your public folder and share them.
    jjmurphy, herbertsnow and Pete like this.
    09-03-2014 09:33 AM
    Quick question..... Did you intentionally skip what I wrote where I showed exactly what their ToS were or did you just read it and decided to write this anyways. Yes, you are allowed to keep nude photos on OneDrive, you're just not allowed to put them in your public folder and share them.
    ​I would guess they went with the bolded part. People talk out of their asses a lot.
    09-03-2014 10:02 AM
    Strong password and two step authentication make it easier to prevent these hacking incidents.
    As I could not agree more but, after about 2 weeks of doing this every day, I am sure it will be disabled for most people....

Yea, I have the 2 level security, esp on private stuff, so I log into my live account, then wait for MS to send a text with a number, type it in, then I can access my content....

Dam, I could not or would not do that every day ! The fact of the matter is, Nothing is unhackable, if someone with the skill set wanted to get in, guess what? they will.

It's like people in high crime areas always leaving lights on around their house, it will not stop a crime but, it will der them from actually doing it. So a stronger password at least would be the best bet for most of these people....

You live in and learn....

I have not seen them, where are all these "stolen" images anyway ? :)
    ams963 likes this.
    09-03-2014 10:28 AM
    With the news that more than 100 icloud accounts belonging to actors and singers have been hacked using the brute force attack, shouldn't Microsoft make a campaign around the fact that OneDrive is a much safer/securer option for users. I'm not saying give these people free windows phones.... Just steer them towards OneDrive....
    Never marketing over a disaster. First rule of business.
    09-03-2014 10:31 AM

That's not entirely true. I have a ton of nude pics and videos in my OneDrive. "Remember how they get synched automatically from my phone," as long as they don't end up in a public folder your ok. Microsoft tends to scan the public folders since they are.... Well...... Public.
    09-03-2014 11:49 AM
    Enable two-factor authentication on any/all of these accounts and you'd be much safer...
    09-03-2014 12:52 PM
    Enable two-factor authentication on any/all of these accounts and you'd be much safer...
    But two-factor authentication is such a pain in the ***. I had to turn it off since it was driving me crazy.
    09-03-2014 02:24 PM
    OneDrive allows it just not in public.. Microsoft knows everyone wants access to their nudes any where any time....
    herbertsnow likes this.
    09-03-2014 06:43 PM
    Hi Jas,
    First of all my apologies as it's not my habit to ignore people. I hadn't seen your post. But the core point is that i simply don't accept anyone (including non human scanning robots) scanning my folders (as Google does and as Microsoft does and not only) to see if i am complying to any arbitrary corporate law generated by a country that's not mine. I do translations but i am also specializing in another non-translation field and what the US are doing in this way is enforcing domestic legislation on a global scale. This is simply illegal, but it's also ill-directed.

So while you may have a point in what you say, my point takes the issue at a different level (for which a wider discussion would be required and WP Central is not the place, since here we talk technology and not security, international law and international relations). Put simply, (In a dimension suited for WP Central), nobody has any right to stick nose in my content. It used to be so only till a few years ago. If you allow your kids to be born in a controlled society and make them think it's all fine just because everyone complies then you're losing your freedom. + as an adult i don't tolerate someone up above (except God in the flesh) checking on my life till i do something really bad. What these companies are doing is stealing your life, crumble by crumble and since it happens very slowly you don't feel how are you being chocked!
    Leaving these items aside, who grants you that part of your non-nude content can't be reused by a corporation to take advantage of a competitor?

Let's say i translate UIs for Nokia and Nokia is launching an innovative WP device and the UI is a mystery except for a few ones including those translating it (which it happens). I put all my stuff in GDrive.......even encrypted with PGP (which is weak by now), and a few months later the UI somewhat leaks.....nobody knows how.......i had it safe in my Gdrive, even encrypted. Who grants me someone (corporate side, not hackers) didn't scan my contents and found my work in there and took a copy?

Bear in mind that the US stole at least 3 huge contracts to EU much before Snowden in this very way. Spying on companies and spoiling contracts.

I hope this explains where i am coming from.

My content is mine. You as a company sell me your storage and what i put it in is none of your business. This includes shared folders.

That's my take.
    Last edited by EC Translating Services; 09-03-2014 at 10:23 PM.
    09-03-2014 10:01 PM
    As I could not agree more but, after about 2 weeks of doing this every day, I am sure it will be disabled for most people....

Yea, I have the 2 level security, esp on private stuff, so I log into my live account, then wait for MS to send a text with a number, type it in, then I can access my content....

Dam, I could not or would not do that every day ! The fact of the matter is, Nothing is unhackable, if someone with the skill set wanted to get in, guess what? they will.

It's like people in high crime areas always leaving lights on around their house, it will not stop a crime but, it will der them from actually doing it. So a stronger password at least would be the best bet for most of these people....

You live in and learn....

I totally agree. The only foolproof plan is to remain an uninteresting, non-celebrity average Joe. Hackers simply wouldn't care to waste their time getting your grumpy pics. LOL.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    09-03-2014 10:39 PM
    I couldn't find them either. Maybe the sites took them down for fear of legal actions.
    09-03-2014 10:42 PM
62 123