View Poll Results: Do you like the new UI for OneDrive (v4.4.0.0)?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's the right direction for evolving the modern UI

10 30.30%
  • I'm not bothered either way

8 24.24%
  • No, it's a backwards step and a nod to Android

15 45.45%
01-07-2015 04:27 AM
94 1234
tools
    I don't mind the hamburger button. The overall design of the app has changed little and the hamburger button does not mean WP is getting more Android-esque. The hamburger is something that has been implemented in apps and websites regardless of os - it is obviously considered a good standard and I don't see why we need kick up a fuss about it. If WP got ios/Android type screen icons or other core design ideas it would be another matter, but this is obviously just Microsoft incorporating a design which aids navigation and which helps make their apps be more uniform. That way, a user who comes to WP from another os won't see huge differences.
    The Hamburger doesn't aid navigation... It's on the far top left! The app bar at the bottom and the ellipsis menu are ideal for navigation. And you mean they should make it familiar for users of other OS's switching to WP (which not many are doing anyways) and alienate their current users... Like how would a WP user know where are the settings (since they are not in the ellipsis menu now)?
    10-29-2014 08:22 AM
    The Hamburger doesn't aid navigation... It's on the far top left! The app bar at the bottom and the ellipsis menu are ideal for navigation. And you mean they should make it familiar for users of other OS's switching to WP (which not many are doing anyways) and alienate their current users... Like how would a WP user know where are the settings (since they are not in the ellipsis menu now)?
    Check the hamburger button Duhh. Are you trying to say windows phone users are stupid?
    10-29-2014 08:29 AM
    Up in arms over a hamburger icon. Truly a First World Problem.
    colinkiama and iamtim like this.
    10-29-2014 08:31 AM
    The Hamburger is on the far top left... It makes navigation difficult. The bottom app bar and the ellipsis menu are ideal positions for options, settings, etc.
    For anyone with a normal sized phone, it isn't hard to use. For me, I use a giant phone and I just use two hands.
    10-29-2014 08:37 AM
    I do agree that the titles of the pivot screens are a bit too big. With that said, it's still better than the new look. It's a hint of one of the the things I don't like about Android: inconsistent design.
    Last edited by jlzimmerman; 10-29-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    a5cent likes this.
    10-29-2014 08:40 AM
    Up in arms over a hamburger icon. Truly a First World Problem.
    BTW, I live in the Third World and I don't like it at all. ;)
    10-29-2014 08:43 AM
    Check the hamburger button Duhh. Are you trying to say windows phone users are stupid?
    Why should we have to change to make it easy for somebody else, when the change does nothing good for us? (This is not a change for the better... It is simply worse. The older implementation was better--for usability reasons. The setings option could easily be in the ellipsis menu along with the other redundant things. So no use for the Hamburger menu at all. It would have been perfectly fine with the old UI--with the headers made a bit smaller if some people don't like them)
    Last edited by Wam1q; 10-29-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    neo158 likes this.
    10-29-2014 08:46 AM
    For anyone with a normal sized phone, it isn't hard to use. For me, I use a giant phone and I just use two hands.
    I have a Lumia 1020. I can easily navigate my phone single-handedly since I don't have to reach the top left corner (I am right-handed). Options, settings, etc., are all within easy reach in the app bar or the ellipsis menu paired with simple swipes between tabs/pages. This app simply breaks that consistency. (I couldn't figure out earlier that I could still swipe, because the text-headers were removed)
    neo158 and a5cent like this.
    10-29-2014 09:04 AM
    The issue is not the hamburger button per se. That is missing the point. The issue is UI inconsistency. Granted, not everyone is equally bothered by breakdowns in the consistent use of design language, but many are. You need look no further than metro on the desktop, where many claimed the jarring differences between the two made their UX with W8 unbearable. On W8 however, anybody with a working understanding of file associations could fix most of that issue, so they'd never see a metro app on their PC again, but we can't do that on WP.

Worse, I don't think there is a form vs. functionality argument to be made here. There is literally nothing in the panel opened by that button, that is not redundant (navigating files, recent and shared views works fine without it) or just out of place in a metro app (clearly belongs in the app bar or ellipses menu). IOW, there is no feature/functionality this inconsistent approach enables that a metro based design could not achieve equally well or IMHO better. Finally, the blue area up top wastes even more space than a reasonably sized pivot header would (although I agree that on many displays those headers are just too big). In summary, this approach offers nothing that a metro app couldn't, but sacrifices design language consistency regardless. That is not a good trade to make.

So, why then? I suspect MS is building OneDrive as a cross platform app using Ximarin or something like it. That would allow them to develop one app for each of the three platforms for the price of one, and allow them to release it to all platforms on the same day...

If I'm speculating correctly, I would reluctantly/rationally understand MS' approach, but emotionally hate it.
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-29-2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    neo158, 980z, envio and 3 others like this.
    10-29-2014 09:32 AM
    Really, going up in arms and calling out MS on yet another trivial detail? There is just no pleasing this crowd.

MS goes left, everyone screams, outrages, calls treason, riots, etc.
    MS goes right, ditto.
    MS goes forward, double ditto.
    MS does nothing, you guessed it : triple ditto.

FFS people, relax. Modern UI is great and lovely, but it may not be the absolute best solution for every, single, thing.

This new update is faster and more functional, I like it.

First world problems FTL.
    Exactly. It feels like a nursery and everybody is wet and soiled..
    Donny James likes this.
    10-29-2014 12:36 PM
    It's because it's not in line with the Modern UI. They moved settings into the Hamburger menu for no good reason as it was perfectly fine where it was, the same place as the other system apps which is in the three dots menu. They moved the search button for no good reason as well, it was fine where it was on the app bar.

They also changed from the text based pivots to a hamburger menu and icons for the pivots, totally against the Modern UI guidelines that they set out for other developers. They are also using a non standard UI, text based pivots are in the SDK and the, now current, fugly UI isn't.
    The Facebook app has the same hamburger button and its design is very similar to OneDrive now, yet I didn't read so much rant about Facebook app design.
    10-29-2014 01:37 PM
    The Facebook app has the same hamburger button and its design is very similar to OneDrive now, yet I didn't read so much rant about Facebook app design.

Again, it's not really about the hamburger button. It's about all the ways in which this app deviates from the metro design language. I think the hamburger button is the least important of those.

Given that W8 has provided us with a very recent example of how people react to jarring UI discrepancies, and that we know many people consider WP's design consistency one of its primary advantages, is it so hard to acknowledge, that this could be a serious issue, even if you personally don't think it's a big deal?

I think the majority of people react to design, consciously or unconsciously. I think deliberate design and conforming to guidelines is a very important component of what makes a UI easily learnable, particularly for non-geeks. I think it's one of the reasons WP does extremely well with first time smartphone owners, as you need only discover a few basic principles, after which you understand the entire UI. I think it's one of the things that helps the iPhone maintain it's perception of being high-end.

Keep this up, and before long, people will also start calling WP messy, just like Android (which is currently improving in leaps and bounds). I don't think that is hard to imagine. That doesn't mean I think metro is the be-all-end-all of UI design. I actually think it offers many opportunities for improvement. I just think such evolution should occur in a managed and consistent way, where all 1st party apps are used to set an example of what MS considers best practice.

Things like this obviously aren't the end of the world, but they do come at a cost. I don't think it's a good idea to ignore that.
    Laura Knotek and neo158 like this.
    10-29-2014 03:21 PM
    I would say that these two uservoice threads show that it's not just people on here hating on the new design:

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...t-copy-android

Revert the pivot menu UI for WP ? Customer Feedback for Microsoft

I thought I would also say that I don't hate ALL of the new UI. This wasn't created by me but it's what I feel the UI redesign should have been:

gj9hbcp-imgur.jpg
    a5cent and colinkiama like this.
    10-29-2014 05:35 PM
    I definitely prefer the new design.
    10-29-2014 05:44 PM
    What's with all this madness? The new app is better. It's not backwards. It's still pretty much like the old one but with new features. It actually works a lot better too. Odds are if someone's complaining about the look of the app, they don't really use it much.
    10-29-2014 08:38 PM
    Ya what's with all the ********? The app is much richer than before and offers a lot more logical and usable interface.

Now only if they remembered One Note...
    10-29-2014 08:52 PM
    Nobody is complaining about the app becoming more functional. Everybody agrees that is a good thing and we're all happy for it.

Unfortunately, this issue can't be discussed if one side refuses to acknowledge that it even exists or just thinks people who dislike the new design are mad/crazy. I don't think that's helpful. Even if you don't understand the issue yourself, the fact that it garnered over 2300 votes on uservoice in just a few hours suggests it's not a small number of people that feel there is a problem. The fact that many people view it as an erosion of one of WP's core strengths should also be taken seriously. No product manager worth their salt ignores that. Instead, you acknowledge that there is a problem, determine exactly what it is, and then consciously decide if it can/must be addressed.

I suspect this issue is larger than any single app. I think it asks the question where MS is headed with metro design. Are these just exceptions born of necessity, or did MS fire too many people from QA who's job it was to ensure UI consistency? Is this developer sloppiness, or is MS deliberately moving away from metro? Are these exceptions, or the new norm for first party apps? Has MS moved to a policy where every team decides for themselves what an app should look like, or does MS still care about teams adhering to a consistent design language? If I'm developing a new app for WP, what design guidelines should I now be following (as MS says or as MS does)? I think those are fair questions to ask at this point, and it shouldn't be hard for anyone to imagine how some answers could disappoint many WP users.
    neo158 likes this.
    10-30-2014 02:34 AM
    Nobody is complaining about the app becoming more functional. Everybody agrees that is a good thing and we're all happy for it.

Unfortunately, this issue can't be discussed if one side refuses to acknowledge that it even exists or just thinks people who dislike the new design are mad/crazy. I don't think that's helpful. Even if you don't understand the issue yourself, the fact that it garnered over 2300 votes on uservoice in just a few hours suggests it's not a small number of people that feel there is a problem. The fact that many people view it as an erosion of one of WP's core strengths should also be taken seriously. No product manager worth their salt ignores that. Instead, you acknowledge that there is a problem, determine exactly what it is, and then consciously decide if it can/must be addressed.

I suspect this issue is larger than any single app. I think it asks the question where MS is headed with metro design. Are these just exceptions born of necessity, or did MS fire too many people from QA who's job it was to ensure UI consistency? Is this developer sloppiness, or is MS deliberately moving away from metro? Are these exceptions, or the new norm for first party apps? Has MS moved to a policy where every team decides for themselves what an app should look like, or does MS still care about teams adhering to a consistent design language? If I'm developing a new app for WP, what design guidelines should I now be following (as MS says or as MS does)? I think those are fair questions to ask at this point, and it shouldn't be hard for anyone to imagine how some answers could disappoint many WP users.
    2300 votes could mean that 767 people voted for it. I'm not saying it isn't an issue at all, just that it might not be as large as the people here seem to think it is. Also, it can't be discussed if one side refuses to acknowledge the concept that they might be overreacting.
    neo158 likes this.
    10-30-2014 08:22 AM
    2300 votes could mean that 767 people voted for it. I'm not saying it isn't an issue at all, just that it might not be as large as the people here seem to think it is. Also, it can't be discussed if one side refuses to acknowledge the concept that they might be overreacting.
    I disagree that such a discussion requires the acknowledgement of an overreaction. What constitutes an overreaction is utterly subjective anyway, as is the question of what constitutes good UI design. If both sides agree an issue exists, then we can at least have a discussion about how serious the issue really is. That discussion can't occur if one side doesn't even acknowledge its existence (you do, so no problem there).

You are right of course. It could be just 767 people. It could also be over 2300 people. Both are equally unlikely and it's probably not that important. The fact remains the issue garnered an unusually large number of votes in a very short time. How relevant that is, is up for debate. If I were a product manager at MS, I'd say it should at least be taken seriously, even if my own design sensibilities weren't offended.
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-30-2014 at 09:21 AM.
    neo158 likes this.
    10-30-2014 08:52 AM
    hamburger button and now a back button too

wtf?? back button on top? WHY?

10-30-2014 02:47 PM

http://i.imgur.com/qYOlrIS.jpg
    They went lazy with the UI and made one for all platforms I'll bet
    10-30-2014 08:11 PM

http://i.imgur.com/qYOlrIS.jpg
    Why is this a problem?
    10-30-2014 11:57 PM
    Why is this a problem?
    More importantly, why is there a post about something other than OneDrive in a OneDrive thread?

Anyway, i'm really loving this new OneDrive app. It works wonderfully. So what if they added a hamburger button on the top, It's really only there to quickly access some things. Otherwise, you can swipe and navigate exactly how the old one did. More options is always better.
    Jazmac likes this.
    10-31-2014 01:51 AM
    More importantly, why is there a post about something other than OneDrive in a OneDrive thread?.
    I think because it's making the same point the OP is. I'd say it's relevant because it fails in a similar manner, so it offers an alternative way of explaining the issue.

Why is this a problem?

IMHO "problem" is overstating it. However, I'd also say the onus is on you to explain why it is good and beneficial, and why it's not just useless, screen real estate wasting UI clutter.

Minimalism, simplicity and a focus on content rather than chrome and navigational elements is an approach to UI design that metro introduced, which the entire IT industry is now replicating (IMHO for good reason). I don't know this app, but it looks like this isn't honoring that rule.

If you think we're just nitpicking, ask yourself what you'd think, if every single WP app took this approach? Wouldn't it start feeling ridiculous and awkward at some point, considering we have a dedicated back button? If you agree with that assessment, then why make an exception here? Why not just call it out for what it is? Not really a problem per se... just out of place, useless, redundant, and a little bit stupid.
    10-31-2014 02:17 AM
    I think this is because of the new cross platform approach of Microsoft. They probably code it for iOS then bring it over to android and windows. It is good to know that cross platform apps can have similar features/functionality even in windows if the developers so desire. On another hand, if Microsoft's own subsidiaries can't commit to design guidelines outlined by windows platform then how in world do they expect developers to develop universal apps for different screen sizes of Microsoft(Windows 10 and onwards) ecosystem? This is just setting a wrong precedent.
    a5cent and envio like this.
    10-31-2014 02:48 AM
94 1234