Do you like the new OneDrive UI (v4.4.0.0)

nallWhite

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
What I think the issue is that WP is being converted/subverted to look like the competition in order to attract its users. What would attract them is high end devices and third party apps. Hamburger menus will not.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If these small changes are enough to make it "a pale imitation", you were likely going to leave anyway. Seriously, a hamburger menu and a lack of obnoxiously large headers doesn't change that WP is better (in my opinion) than Android.

lol, you just described an android app. An an OS, Android is undeniably superior to WP. OneDrive app is better on Android.
I like Metro UI design language and this is one of the key reasons why I have a Windows Phone.

Seems like a step backwards for Microsoft developers, and most of it is due to laziness.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why people are voting for this new design change. It sucks. It is as if OneDrive developers cannot be bothered to have to maintain two different app designs!

I can already buy an Android, why would I want a pale imitation.. Android 5.0 looking better and better .. If this is the future of Windows Phone I am jumping ship. Not a mindless ******

Maybe cause people have different opinions on what is attractive and usable

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Do you know what else garnered a lot of votes?
https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/...-blink-or-other-open-rendering-engine-and-sta
https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/...estions/6509607-auto-update-older-ie-versions
Why am I bringing this up? If you have to go by the "logic of the masses", you've already lost.

I completely agree with that, I just don't think it's relevant to my point.

While the uservoice suggestions you've highlighted are certainly unrealistic and a bit ignorant, I have no problem admitting that both suggestions address a real problem. I don't think those who voted for them are crazy nitpickers, or a bunch of overreacting hysterics who are just imagining problems were none exist. That's the difference! MS obviously agrees that the Blink supporters have valid concerns and should be taken seriously (their concerns, not the solution), otherwise MS would not have fiddled with IE's user agent string in WP8.1.

The same applies to this UI design issue. That many people voted for it doesn't automatically validate those who are bothered by it, nor does it discredit those who aren't. However, it does mean that WE HAVE A REAL ISSUE; it's not an irrelevant hallucination shared by only one or two people, but an issue that is widespread enough that MS (and the community) should take the objection seriously and see if what many find objectionable can be improved. That's all I'm saying.
IMHO it shouldn't be so hard for people to take others at their word, when they say how much they dislike such inconsistencies. I also don't think it would be hard to come up with a solution that would make both camps happy.
Also, you're trying to frame the discussion in a way that only benefits your side. To you, it can only be a discussion if there's no possibility of somebody saying it isn't a real issue. That isn't the way a discussion works.

No. I'm not. I'd say the exact same thing if the tables were turned. It's pure logic. We can't meaningfully discuss an issue that one side doesn't think exists. We can then only discuss whether the issue exists at all. That is probably a bit too much of a philosophical meta-comment to get into though. If you disagree with that then that's fine. We can move on, since you aren't in that set of people anyway.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe cause people have different opinions on what is attractive and usable

Yeah, that is why there are several different platforms. If I wanted gestures I would get a Sailfish or a BB10 phone. If I wanted stupid hamburgers I'd get an android.

Obviously, owning a Windows Phone is not for the unique UI, but because poor hipsters can afford them.....................

Chuck Angel

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, what I would like to see is that on all systems, including through a browser, the look and feel of OneDrive is consistent. I'd like to see a more Windows Explorer look through a browser. I want to see folders at the top and files within folders. I think to see tiles and live tiles in the OneDrive app is a terrible waste of space.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think because it's making the same point the OP is. I'd say it's relevant because it fails in a similar manner, so it offers an alternative way of explaining the issue.

IMHO "problem" is overstating it. However, I'd also say the onus is on you to explain why it is good and beneficial, and why it's not just useless, screen real estate wasting UI clutter.

Minimalism, simplicity and a focus on content rather than chrome and navigational elements is an approach to UI design that metro introduced, which the entire IT industry is now replicating (IMHO for good reason). I don't know this app, but it looks like this isn't honoring that rule.

If you think we're just nitpicking, ask yourself what you'd think, if every single WP app took this approach? Wouldn't it start feeling ridiculous and awkward at some point, considering we have a dedicated back button? If you agree with that assessment, then why make an exception here? Why not just call it out for what it is? Not really a problem per se... just out of place, useless, redundant, and a little bit stupid.

Don't get it twisted homey. It doesn't faze me one way or the other. I asked the question to get his reasoning on it. Beyond that, as long as it doesn't adversely affect its operation, I am completely unfazed by it. If you don't want him to answer my question, consider the question withdrawn.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I asked the question to get his reasoning on it. <snipped> If you don't want him to answer my question, consider the question withdrawn.

C'mon Jazmac. We're all jumping in on each others conversations here, when we feel we have a point to make. I hope it's clear that I'm in no way against Raphok also answering your question. It wasn't my intention to make you look like you were on any particular side of this conversation. I just felt your question was a good one to latch on to, in the interest of making a point.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
C'mon Jazmac. We're all jumping in on each others conversations here, when we feel we have a point to make. I hope it's clear that I'm in no way against Raphok also answering your question. It wasn't my intention to make you look like you were on any particular side of this conversation. I just felt your question was a good one to latch on to, in the interest of making a point.
My apologies a5cent. I bent this up a bit. My fault. I'm on decaf the last few days cause the bag was free but I can't drink this stuff. Its ruining my focus! :)

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I missed the last page or so, but has anyone noticed that the UI in the new OneDrive app matches the look of the OneDrive website much more closely than it did before? Which is a look they're applying to all their online apps (Outlook.com, Office Online, etc.)

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
The recent update is an improvement. I like the overall look of the app quite a lot (and if it's any indication to the look of future phone apps, then it's a good sign).

What I don't like is how MS seems to continue insisting on putting UI elements out of reach/in awkward places. Look at the Facebook apps for Windows Phone and iOS and you will see what I mean; the iOS app has all the buttons/controls down the bottom, the WinPho app up the top in a difficult to reach place. Even on my Lumia 920 and my meaty man hands it's a bit of a reach to get my thumb over to the search button in OneDrive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb