What happens to files when I say I want them to be made "Offline"? lol OneDrive doesn't say

Christian Matthew

May 14, 2013
Visit site
What happens to files when I say I want them to be made "Offline"? lol OneDrive doesn't say

Ok there is this new thing where W10 isn't going to have placeholder files anymore... but here is my thing... Can someone describes to me when I have the file on my pc and I right click and select made available only "offline" what happens to that file. I can see space gaining back to my HD but was the file deleted and a placeholder file put there instead?

LOl i have no idea? it is all magic and I wish the process was more clear.

to me this makes sense. If i say I want to have it available only offline what I am saying is that I want to delete the file on my local computer and still have it available in the cloud. i.e. delete local copy. to me that makes more sense.

how will W10 address this issue?

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: What happens to files when I say I want them to be made "Offline"? lol OneDrive doesn't say

in win 8.1
you see everything (these might be all placeholders cant remember off hand)
right clicking a file/folder and saying make offline makes a local copy of the content, the local copy replaces the placeholder, it is still synced with onedrive
right clicking and saying make online only, makes it viewable as a thumbnail on computer but full version is online, local version is replaced by the placeholder
double clicking any file opens it up and makes a local copy, replacing the placeholder with the actual file

win 10 only partially addresses this
you select which folders from onedrive you want offline, all contents of these folders are downloaded to the pc
any folder you don't tell it to sync does not appear on your pc, you cannot see them
if you want to be able to see all onedrive content on the pc, you have to download it all

hope that helps

Christian Matthew

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: What happens to files when I say I want them to be made "Offline"? lol OneDrive doesn't say

that's horrible. I truly hope this is not what they are doing?

However, one thing you said... "local version is replaced by the placeholder" <<< does that mean it was deleted? is it in the recycle bin? All they/msft has to do is make that one part a little clearer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium