OneDrive- photo storage. What am i doing wrong here?

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys, I need some help understanding this one!

How can I delete the local stored OneDrive files on my device (Surface 2) and NOT the saved cloud stored Camera Roll files? I'm desperately trying to gain some space back on the device but when deleting the odd pic in my OneDrive folder, even off line, the pics naturally disappear when re-synced with a net connection... I'm clearly not understanding something basic here with OneDrive so I think in need it re explained to me. All of my photos I've taken for over 2 years are auto-uploaded to OneDrive but there appears to be a large amount of OneDrive data stored 'locally' on the device, several GB's worth.

It's this I want to delete but not the cloud back up. Is there a way to do this?? I've done it on the phone before several times to make space on my 920, knowing my camera roll is backed up on OneDrive but the same rules don't seem to apply here!! I just want some space back- but not to lose the images permanently. I have a couple hundred GB of storage in OneDrive but only a minimal amount on the device, so this shouldn't be that hard!! Can someone help me out here?

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
When you auto-sync your local data to OneDrive you can't delete them locally without deleting them online at the same time.

You need to "Move files to OneDrive" as described here:
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...-folders%2Fonedrive-on-surface&token=A85MkYtZ

Hope this helps.

Ok, so I need to copy all the pictures/ files in my OneDrive folder and move them to.... OneDrive??! Even though they already appear in the cloud? That sounds crazy according to that article.

The onedrive camera roll is by far the biggest folder at 8/9gb. I just want them in the cloud not on the device.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I need to copy all the pictures/ files in my OneDrive folder and move them to.... OneDrive??! Even though they already appear in the cloud? That sounds crazy according to that article.

The onedrive camera roll is by far the biggest folder at 8/9gb. I just want them in the cloud not on the device.

"To save storage space on your Surface, you can choose to make a file or folder only available online. Select the file, and choose Make online only."

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
"To save storage space on your Surface, you can choose to make a file or folder only available online. Select the file, and choose Make online only."

This was the first thing I tried. No appreciable difference in file/size.. I dont know why I can't just remove the files and leave the cloud back up intact. It works that way on the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos