Can you stream your private movie library on OneDrive?

weaverly

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not one for advocating piracy, and that's not what this thread is about. My question is whether it would be legal/not be against TOS to upload movies/TV shows to OneDrive for my own playback.

I've got a pretty extensive DVD collection, and there's some movies I replay a lot. I'd like to convert them and have them easily accessible via OneDrive on various devices. Yes, there are services like Plex, and I have used many of them. But I just don't like having to maintain it. It's so much nicer to rely on the awesomeness of OneDrive.

So....anybody know the answer?

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes! I do exactly as you are thinking about. I first make a 1 for 1 DVD backup on my OneDrive folder. I then rip the main movie to the settings that work on all my devices and put that in the same folder. Once its all uploaded I can access it on all my devices (even my iPhone!) and stream it. As an added advantage, my windows phone will even let me download it straight from the cloud to the phone. It work great and I have no issues.

The biggest thing I think you have to watch out for is how you share the content. If you share it, you may be in violation for sharing copyrighted material. In my opinion, and several others who do our media this way, is that as long as your stuff is only for you as a personal backup (allowed by the DMCA) you should have no issues.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I dont think they care about those. I have a bunch of stuff on my OneDrive for personal use. It *is* marketed as one place for everything.

Maybe if you start using it as a mass distribution platform in such a way that it caught the eye of some RIAA types.

weaverly

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I agree that hitting that Share button would be a no-no. I just want to be able to access it myself on my Lumia 1520, Toshiba Encore 2 and Xbox One when I get the urge.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree that hitting that Share button would be a no-no. I just want to be able to access it myself on my Lumia 1520, Toshiba Encore 2 and Xbox One when I get the urge.

I have no issues accessing any of my content on my lumia 1520, lumia 520, xbox 360, ipad, surface pro or iPhone.

Just make sure your videos are in a format that everything can read. I use mp4.

weaverly

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh yes, format is always an issue across devices. At my previous job I worked in streaming media for nine years, so know it all too well. And yes, mp4 is still currently the safe bet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos