Best cloud storage?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So, I know people here may be tempted to say just use one drive, but I'm wondering what everyone thought was the best cloud storage platform to use? I'm considering either one drive or Dropbox and can't decide which is the better paid option. Keep in mind I'm looking for something that works well on PC, Mac, and iOS. And I'm unsure how well these solutions work on those platforms. Any thoughts?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While I use OneDrive primarily and I think it is the best for my personal needs, I also want to suggest looking at Copy.

Especially if you can get onboard the referral program, where the storage bonuses can add up fast.

In my experience they all work well on those, except I can't speak for the Mac clients of either.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Google drive is pretty good. You can access it on any web browser and download/upload from/to your phone. Now we cant get the drive app only through mobile web browser and or PC.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Dropbox is the best IMO for following advantages over other: Fastest, doesn't always need to upload/download the whole file, integration with Office, LAN sync, client for almost all OS even Linux, web app works great, easy referral bonuses, file version history up to 30 days..

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
On one hand one drive gives unlimited back up, which is great, but I can't see myself using anything near a terabyte, so Dropbox may as well be unlimited I guess. Dropbox was also designed to be cross platform from the beginning. Since one drive is by Microsoft they are of course going to favor their own OS.

Dropbox is the best IMO for following advantages over other: Fastest, doesn't always need to upload/download the whole file, integration with Office, LAN sync, client for almost all OS even Linux, web app works great, easy referral bonuses, file version history up to 30 days..

Yeah, these were reasons I was considering it. But when stacked up to one drives United storage, it's hard to ignore that

Last edited by a moderator:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So, I know people here may be tempted to say just use one drive,
Stands to reason this being a Microsoft centric forum.

OneDrive hands down for me as newer user.
From the Microsoft phone platform Onedrive is the one to use at least for photographs.

I never bothered with the cloud until discovering Windows phones offering SkyDrive (OneDrive)

Vorkosigan

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I introduced dropbox to our office a couple of years ago and it's been a huge productivity boost for us. At the time I looked at Onedrive and found it was clunky. Dropbox seemed a lot smoother and easier to learn.

I think Onedrive has come a long way since then, and I'm starting to transfer a lot of my personal stuff from my personal dropbox account over.

Dropbox has recently gotten the ability to edit files in the browser. I haven't tried it out yet - but that was the one thing about it that used to annoy me if I wasn't on one of my own computers and wanted to do a quick update I would have to download the file and then upload a new version.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

From the Microsoft phone platform Onedrive is the one to use at least for photographs.

I never bothered with the cloud until discovering Windows phones offering SkyDrive (OneDrive)

Right, I understand. I was mainly just curious about multi platform quality and support because I use a mix of devices that are not Microsoft. I use a windows PC, I'm may be getting a MacBook or windows based laptop, and I use a iPhone and iPad.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I introduced dropbox to our office a couple of years ago and it's been a huge productivity boost for us. At the time I looked at Onedrive and found it was clunky. Dropbox seemed a lot smoother and easier to learn.

I think Onedrive has come a long way since then, and I'm starting to transfer a lot of my personal stuff from my personal dropbox account over.

Dropbox has recently gotten the ability to edit files in the browser. I haven't tried it out yet - but that was the one thing about it that used to annoy me if I wasn't on one of my own computers and wanted to do a quick update I would have to download the file and then upload a new version.

Have you found one to be better so far? I'm not sure what your mix of devices are, but do you use all Microsoft stuff? I know one drive will probably be best if you have all Microsoft, but I have a mix of devices.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I favor Box. Great cross platform support for me so far... Windows, Windows Phone, webOS, Android. I've used it on all those.

I know they also support iOS and Blackberry. There is a Box sync for Mac as well.

I have Box integrated into my Office 2010 and can save any documents straight to the cloud.

Online, Box offers truly flexible share and permission options inside the folders you create and on a file by file basis. IMHO it offers far more than Dropbox which I tried once (just for name recognition) for an internet project I had put together... I ended up moving it over to Box so I could make the file permissions and downloads happen how I needed them to.

Also, Box has device bounties to increase storage. They are not cumulative, but it easy enough. Just log in from a selected device and get bumped to 50GB for life. I earned mine from logging in with a TouchPad way back in the day. I also saw it for Nexus 4 and that is how I know it isn't cumulative. Chances are you have a device or can borrow one that will get you bumped up, you just have to find the right one and log in from it.

https://www.box.com/about-us/

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm using OneDrive with Android devices, and it works great. I don't see why it would be worse on iOS than on Android. However, I don't have any Apple products.

My suggestion to you would be to ask the iOS experts at our sister site iMore and see what they have to say.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure about OneDrive for iOS, but OneDrive for Android allows uploads of pictures at original quality via mobile data. One doesn't need to wait for Wifi. That might be something to check in the iOS version of OneDrive.

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Right, I understand. I was mainly just curious about multi platform quality and support because I use a mix of devices that are not Microsoft. I use a windows PC, I'm may be getting a MacBook or windows based laptop, and I use a iPhone and iPad.
I was on Macs, iPads and iPhones for years. Used nothing but OneDrive (SkyDrive) all that time. Refused to pay Apple's ridiculous fees for their cloud service. (Plus, it really doesn't work like DropBox, OneDrive, etc).

At the end of the day I really think it comes down to cost/GB. For all I know, Google, Apple, MS... many of their servers are being leased and are sitting next to each other.

Vorkosigan

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Have you found one to be better so far? I'm not sure what your mix of devices are, but do you use all Microsoft stuff? I know one drive will probably be best if you have all Microsoft, but I have a mix of devices.

We use a mix of Windows for the front and back office and Mac for the marketing Department.

Dropbox has been very smooth for us. Our photographer can upload pics from her Mac at her studio and we have them all syncing right away. Our marketing coordinator immediately has what she needs for her marketing and so does the front desk.

We can also scan directly from the printer at the office to a file on the dropbox so any paperwork that more than one person needs access to can be put in as well.

At home I've only got Windows to worry about - which is partly why I'm switching personal files to Onedrive. I'm hoping it will work well with my Lumia 830 - if it ever arrives! Fingers crossed that today is the day!

Sending links is super easy too. Right click on a folder and select share dropbox link and it copies to your clipboard. Then you just paste the link I to an email. The recipient doesn't have to have dropbox to be able to get the files in the link.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
In answer to the question, what the best cloud storage is will largely be subjective. Does it allow the kinds of speeds you need to transfer data from the platforms you use? Is it within cost projections etc. If you want to know what alternatives their are to OneDrive cloud storage, a Bing search would give you those answers. My personal needs are more than met using OneDrive. Its fast. It allows me to upload my music and gives me access with XBox music and if I am on my Macbook Pro, I have access to the same info so for me, I'm, golden.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
In answer to the question, what the best cloud storage is will largely be subjective. Does it allow the kinds of speeds you need to transfer data from the platforms you use? Is it within cost projections etc. If you want to know what alternatives their are to OneDrive cloud storage, a Bing search would give you those answers. My personal needs are more than met using OneDrive. Its fast. It allows me to upload my music and gives me access with XBox music and if I am on my Macbook Pro, I have access to the same info so for me, I'm, golden.

It would be nice if MS would actually update its iOS Xbox music app so I could get access to the cloud music locker. Right now I use google music.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
So, I know people here may be tempted to say just use one drive, but I'm wondering what everyone thought was the best cloud storage platform to use? I'm considering either one drive or Dropbox and can't decide which is the better paid option. Keep in mind I'm looking for something that works well on PC, Mac, and iOS. And I'm unsure how well these solutions work on those platforms. Any thoughts?

That's just like asking "What is the best car?". What do you use it for, how much are you willing to pay, how secure do you want it to be, how multiplatform does it have to be (appwise) and so on. All the big services are good at everything but great at individual things so it's all about what you are looking for.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
That's just like asking "What is the best car?". What do you use it for, how much are you willing to pay, how secure do you want it to be, how multiplatform does it have to be (appwise) and so on. All the big services are good at everything but great at individual things so it's all about what you are looking for.

I want something that's good for storing photos, videos, and that I can grow documents of mo3s in as a secondary back up. I'd like it to have hooks into a good number of other apps, have good multi platform support, but also not be super expensive. And offer a good amount is storage for the price.

I don't really have specific needs I think outside of that. I'd like something also that's integrated well into the different OS's.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice if MS would actually update its iOS Xbox music app so I could get access to the cloud music locker. Right now I use google music.
I'm streaming Xbox Music on my Android devices. I haven't uploaded any music from my personal collection to OneDrive. However, I don't really buy much music these days, since I got the Xbox Music pass subscription.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte