Enough syncing, please

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Can i simply upload files to online one drive and get accses to it by log on microsoft email or phone and not get that files in my personal pc one drive folder ?
Example: i've got some documents on work pc, i log on microsoft page, go to one drive and upload it. Open my phone and edit on go but in same time my personal pc (win 8.1) not get synced with ONLINE one drive.
I ask because i have one drive folder in my pc Untitled.png and everytime when i want to transfer something to my phone i simply copy files there and it can be opened by online and/or phone .. but it counsume my hard drive space. Wich i don't have. So i was thinking if i'm able to upload everything i need on online one drive and someone else is using my pc they will not have acsses to my personal files, BUT when i need something i can simply just transfer files via that folder or upload on online one drive.

Example 2: my pc died and everyone at repair store can open my files after restoring pc.
Examole 3: os died and whole C/ particoon got erased including my files from ,,one drive'' folder.
Exam... you got the idea.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Open OneDrive folder, select all files + folders (Ctrl + A), right-click and select "Make available online-only". It will not consume hard disc space. 😊

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
"Make available online-only". It will not consume hard disc space. ��

That mean if someone else use my pc there is no possibilitis they can see, edit or do anything with files i have in one drive (pc) ?
Only me with valid msc password can log on to online one drive and edit them ?

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Tried with some random documets, it said ,,aviable online'' but still i see them in my ,,one drive (pc)'' folder and when i click on it they open like before.
Did i do something wrong?
Can i simply disable whole one drive from this pc.. shame i can't upload some files online and they stay online, not geting them in pc because that's big bussines and privacy problem.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
They are not available on your PC. When you click on them, they are downloaded from OneDrive and stored in RAM and then erased.

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
They are not available on your PC. When you click on them, they are downloaded from OneDrive and stored in RAM and then erased.

Hm..hm..i see i see..smart thing.
One more question, if..let's say someone else use my pc and open them, they are downloaded and person can see them. How i can stop that? Is there is any pin or password you can put on folder on pc ?

That would be great !

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Hm..hm..i see i see..smart thing.
One more question, if..let's say someone else use my pc and open them, they are downloaded and person can see them. How i can stop that? Is there is any pin or password you can put on folder on pc ?

That would be great !

You can permanently hide it. See my last post.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I think it's better if you just create a guest account or something. you can disable and enable
like this article (which has more methods) How to disable OneDrive in Windows 8.1, removing the OneDrive tray icon in the process (2 methods)
or the link above.
But for example. anyone could easily open OneDrive app, and see your files. so you would have to uninstall the app and remove the onedrive link everytime a guest uses your computer.

So I think it would be easier for you to make a guest account or something. so people don't have access to any file of you. of course you can make everything online only and all, but once they double click on a file photo or file or video, they will download the file.

the only pin or password you can add it's the account one itself. of course you can download a 3rd party app that will lock a folder with a password. I tried this fast and it worked fine, and it didn't do anything to my OneDrive files and only hid the OneDrive folder making it inaccessible without opening the App and typing the password. so it could be a good alternative to protect your OneDrive (or any) folders/files, if you want.

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I tried this fast and it worked fine, and it didn't do anything to my OneDrive files and only hid the OneDrive folder making it inaccessible without opening the App and typing the password. so it could be a good alternative to protect your OneDrive (or any) folders/files, if you want.

Well..that's interresing!
Could you link me that application?
I think (if work) that's far more friendly and easy way to protect your files.
Copy them to ,,one drive", sync, make online and password whole ,,one drive" folder.
I can easy accses from pc, online or phone just with password. Splendid.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Well..that's interresing!
Could you link me that application?
I think (if work) that's far more friendly and easy way to protect your files.
Copy them to ,,one drive", sync, make online and password whole ,,one drive" folder.
I can easy accses from pc, online or phone just with password. Splendid.

yeah I tested 2 applications first Hide, lock, password protect a folder in Windows but it is freeware so it has a fee and a pro version, not like I think that's wrong but I downloaded also Easy File Locker which is free and it did the work done XOSLAB.COM.

I got the list from My Lockbox Alternatives and Similar Software - AlternativeTo.net so I don't know if there are really better or not. I just tested the ones that seemed small and fast and easy and didn't seem like they would mess up with anything OneDrive related. :wink:

of course it would be nice if OneDrive added a password protected folder/files for us to use, at least for Windows 10 only. but for the moment 3rd party apps at least can protect your PC folders if someone needs to access your account making OneDrive folder invisible, inaccessible, un-writable/readable and all that. so you can download and see what works best for your needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon