Why Don't I see My Onedrive files (Windows 10)?

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm as annoyed as everyone else here BUT I DO understand why it was done. According to Thurrott (he explained it on a podcast...can't remember which one) users were getting confused with the online/offline thing. BUT the part that is getting missed is that MS is trying to consolidate the app (all platform versions) to look/work the same. And instead of changing the other versions to work like 8.1 they went the opposite direction...make 10 work like the others.
While I do understand why it was done I still don't like it. If anything they should have kept the placeholder model and explained the 'uniqueness' of the windows 10 version as one of the benefits of Windows. Hopefully a fix will come soon.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
This is the most trashest move from Microsoft! I'm using Windows 8.1 because of Onedrive intergration for my work, then they f*ck it up!

If they don't fix this soon then I don't need windows 10 anymore... I can't believe how stupid they are right now!
Onedrive Intergration on Windows 8.1 is THE ENTERPISE & MAJOR FEATURE! What the hell were they thinking!!!!!

HOW THE HELL COULD THEY THINK THAT I CAN STORE MY 300GB ONEDRIVE DATA ON MY 128GB SURFACE PRO 2?!

They don't think this. Microsoft said some people were confused and thought that because they could see the files on their tablet, people thought they could access them without an internet connection. These people didn't know that the files they were seeing were only placeholders and that they needed an internet connection to actually download and open the files up. People were confused as to which files had locally stored copies or just had placeholders.

Again, this is what Microsoft said. It was very clear to me which files were which (because I, the user of the PC, had to select which files to sync).

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why Don't I see My Onedrive files (Windows 10)

That's rubbish. You don't take a step back from a clearly good feature because it's confusing, if that was really the case you iterate and make it clearer - forward momentum

PavanReddy

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I think this is the link that everybody is looking for, it has over 15000 votes to get it fixed so far.

https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...n-advanced-option-to-restore-showing-all-oned

I voted here. This is one of the top suggestions they have. This is also the thread with the most comments in the top suggestions. I don't know what "Under Review" status means :(
I would suggest anybody that is un-happy with OneDrive on Windows 10 goes to this URL and votes to get it fixed.

I have also "tweeted" everybody I know in Microsoft as well as Windows commentators to get it fixed as soon as possible. :wink:

Hope this helps.

Infinidim

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm as annoyed as everyone else here BUT I DO understand why it was done. According to Thurrott (he explained it on a podcast...can't remember which one) users were getting confused with the online/offline thing. BUT the part that is getting missed is that MS is trying to consolidate the app (all platform versions) to look/work the same. And instead of changing the other versions to work like 8.1 they went the opposite direction...make 10 work like the others.
While I do understand why it was done I still don't like it. If anything they should have kept the placeholder model and explained the 'uniqueness' of the windows 10 version as one of the benefits of Windows. Hopefully a fix will come soon.

They should have provided a solution that was acceptable to users that have upgraded from Windows 8.1.1. Currently Microsoft don't provide a viable "cloud storage" solution which is easy to use that works across PC's and tablets. It even gets worse when you consider their current Windows 10 OneDrive solution when it is used on a phone!!!

Regards

Infinidim

DayDreaMer459

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, if those confused people can't understand how onedrive in 8.1 works, it means they haven't taken there time to educate themselves. Question is why do the people that understands how it works, have to suffer for the sakes of these ignorant people??

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Since I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro everyday I now have to go into the browser version of OneDrive and upload the files that my automatic system has created. This is such a rubbish system now. In Windows 8.1.1 it was so easy to do. Now it takes about 30 minutes a day to do just because our wonderful friends in Microsoft decided what they did in Windows 10 OneDrive.

I tried contacting support in Microsoft Support to find out what they were doing about it and they dropped the link on me, this is not good support from Microsoft.

Regards

Infinidim

The Arsonist

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
And I'm willing to make a little compromise as they hash this out. A quick solution could be to bring the OneDrive Store app over to Windows 10 machines until they do this "sync engine merger" or "rebuilding" or whatever. That way, at least browsing, uploading and downloading could be done in a finger-friendly manner for Windows 10 tablets and desktops without the need for using your total OneDrive's amount of storage.
I really wish the OneDrive team would give an official update, blog post, Tweet, something about this change. The only official post I can find that seems to address this is from January 2015. No official word in 7 months about the consumer OneDrive desktop client? Come on...

https://blog.onedrive.com/taking-the-next-step-in-sync-for-onedrive/

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I really wish the OneDrive team would give an official update, blog post, Tweet, something about this change. The only official post I can find that seems to address this is from January 2015. No official word in 7 months about the consumer OneDrive desktop client? Come on...

https://blog.onedrive.com/taking-the-next-step-in-sync-for-onedrive/
Reading these blog comments it's plain that users are in an uproar over this.

Even so, I really think this dumbed down version of OneDrive is how it's going to be for us "stupid" folks. Otherwise I think we'd have heard something (anything) from MS later than January indicating otherwise. Then again they're also notorious for dropping tech and countless initiatives/products with nary a peep.

I really don't see why they can't give us a "toggle" for placeholders. Those that have multi-terabyte drives who just want pure mirroring of files can just leave it off.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Reading these blog comments it's plain that users are in an uproar over this.

Even so, I really think this dumbed down version of OneDrive is how it's going to be for us "stupid" folks. Otherwise I think we'd have heard something (anything) from MS later than January indicating otherwise. Then again they're also notorious for dropping tech and countless initiatives/products with nary a peep.

I really don't see why they can't give us a "toggle" for placeholders. Those that have multi-terabyte drives who just want pure mirroring of files can just leave it off.

Completely agree with these comments.

Infinidim

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
ok I'm confused... is this the reason I'm seeing NOTHING in my one drive folder in file explorer? Its just a huge long list of letters and numbers with no folder that even opens. Nothing to open and no seeming sync with my one drive-system tray icon says up to date... Browser access is unaffected. But I'm not even seeing place holders... any one help here?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire