BEWARE - OneDrive keeps moving files to recycle bin by itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
This just started this morning and has happened twice. I notice files disappearing from my OneDrive and then when I go to recycle bin they are there. The first time it happened it was some of my movies and ALL 130 of my customer backups (VoIP phone system backups). Today it was some of my music collection in the music folder. I have searched around the internet and found other people (some running win 8.1 and some running win 10) noticing the same issue. Anyone here notice this issue? I have been using it for years, since it was SkyDrive and I have never had any issues but this scare is starting to worry me about my dependence on it.

What is going on, I am guessing there is a bug in the APP? Any ideas?

All of my PC's are clean installs and are virus and malware free (yes I even ran scans)

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
This looks like another major issue on OneDrive for Microsoft.

I haven't really been able to use OneDrive since I updated to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 8.1.1 Pro. To me the Windows 10 version of OneDrive is retrograde and useless. They need to bring back some of the features that were in the 8.1.1 version to make it useable.

Regards

Infinidim

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
First of all, is this happening on W8.1 and W10 only? Just need to be sure cos on several occasions on my Win7, I've seen some of my OneDrive files inside the recycle bin and I keep wondering when I deleted these items, after which I just empty the recycle bin (stupid move by me without cross checking my OneDrive if these files are still there.) if OneDrive is really moving items to RB on its own then I must have lost some of my files without knowing by emptying the RB.

WOW!

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
For me it happened with win10, but after I bing'd it I found people with that same issue that were using 10 and 8. If it is a server side issue it obviously is going to effect any desktop OS if it is an issue with the app's then I suppose it is possible it wouldn't effect 7. With that being said I would really be careful before emptying your recycle bin online at onedrive.com because once you kill the file there you are hosed.

As far as me I guess I am going to buy a USB3 HD and keep a backup of my onedrive offline, granted this will cause my files to be an older version but at least if it all goes to hell I will have an older copy, and that is better than nothing!
First of all, is this happening on W8.1 and W10 only? Just need to be sure cos on several occasions on my Win7, I've seen some of my OneDrive files inside the recycle bin and I keep wondering when I deleted these items, after which I just empty the recycle bin (stupid move by me without cross checking my OneDrive if these files are still there.) if OneDrive is really moving items to RB on its own then I must have lost some of my files without knowing by emptying the RB.

WOW!

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Since people have installed the cumulative updates that Microsoft has issued since the release of Windows 10 has this still been happening?

Regards

Infinidim

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I've suspected this exact activity happened a year or two before when my memory became at odds with what was actually in my pictures folder.

Hm.

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I have not had this issue in quite a while now and I was hoping it had been addressed but from the sound of it the issue is still there. At the very least it would really be nice if there was logs we could look at for our account.

himmatsj

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Did you guys by any chance delete the files on your local OneDrive folder on the PC? Cause stupidly, if you delete the files off your PC (since you already have them on the cloud), OneDrive takes it that you're deleting the files entirely.

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Did you guys by any chance delete the files on your local OneDrive folder on the PC? Cause stupidly, if you delete the files off your PC (since you already have them on the cloud), OneDrive takes it that you're deleting the files entirely.

no it just deletes by itself

WaldoPUJ

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm using Windows 10 and it happened to me as well. I restored the Recycle Bin online and the files came back. This morning, the same thing happened and all of my local OneDrive files had been moved to the Recycle Bin on both my local machine as well as online. I called Microsoft and they told me to submit a case. In other words, no help or acknowledgement there was a problem of any kind. Needless to say, I've disconnected OneDrive from all of my machines. Perhaps I should listen more closely to my Apple buddies.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm using Windows 10 and it happened to me as well. I restored the Recycle Bin online and the files came back. This morning, the same thing happened and all of my local OneDrive files had been moved to the Recycle Bin on both my local machine as well as online. I called Microsoft and they told me to submit a case. In other words, no help or acknowledgement there was a problem of any kind. Needless to say, I've disconnected OneDrive from all of my machines. Perhaps I should listen more closely to my Apple buddies.
The only thing consistent about my experience with OneDrive has been glitchy syncing and it spontaneously deleting files. I've noticed that the best case scenario is when OneDrive is used on only one system. That seems to be less problematic (not trouble-free, but noticeably more reliable than when using more than one system). In the end, I've pretty much abandoned using OneDrive (making my Office 365 subscription less appealing) and have focused on DropBox.

Thomas Dewangga

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Its happened depending on what files you've been sync from OneDrive to W10 PC. If you sync all of your files/folders it won't goes to recycle bin, but it will be downloaded to your PC. But if you not sync some of your files/folders, it will deleting your files that you've added to one drive. And that files stays on One Drive.

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
i suspect MS uses recycle bin as a safe haven to keep files of all suspicious key stroke until later user or MS restore them:winktongue:

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I just figured out today that this was happening - tons of music files deleted.
Some of them were actually deleted back in August! (I have lots of music so yes, I hadn't realized this was happening).
I have an auto backup of OneDrive on another SSD, but of course, that's updated with the files missing, so no use!
I'm now going to have to manually back up every time I purchase something. Ugh!

I don't suppose there's any other music storage that will work with WP10?

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I've had the same issue where.....I found that having multiple computers synced with your OneDrive account exacerbates the random deleting of files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999