BEWARE - OneDrive keeps moving files to recycle bin by itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanno76

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I found all my wedding photos in the recycle bin.I thought it was something I had done, but obviously not. Have taken them off one drive now and keep several copy's in different places now

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Wow. Very scary. Somebody send a 'tip' to Windows Central so Dan and the boys can elevate this. Ok?

No one here has that much pull with MS, don't fool yourself! I started this thread almost 6 months ago and also cross posted it to the MS TechNet forums (official MS support forums) an the issue still exists. All I hoped to achieve with posting it here at WindowsCentral was to let others know that while onedrive is nice beware, because it can go bad fast!

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
No one here has that much pull with MS, don't fool yourself! I started this thread almost 6 months ago and also cross posted it to the MS TechNet forums (official MS support forums) an the issue still exists. All I hoped to achieve with posting it here at WindowsCentral was to let others know that while onedrive is nice beware, because it can go bad fast!

Ha. You're probably right. But if this problem is persistent, it's a breach of trust in a system that's is intended to save some our most important items, photos, music, and such. I don't want to go overboard, but MS does not want to lose trust. I sent MS a note too. Time tells. And thanks for making us aware.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I too (just discovered) I fell victim to this. Because they removed placeholders I basically stopped using onedrive. However, I just tried emailing some PDFs to a customer that I had "SAVED" on onedrive. I went there and they were gone. In a panic I searched and searched and found them in the recycle bin. However, since they were in the recycle bin for more than 30 days they were not retrievable. P*ssed off I just went ahead and deleted all my onedrive folders and went back to the old fashion external hard drive method. Its a sad day when 80s technology works better than Microsoft's 2016 cloud storage service.

If you go to Microsoft communities there are many threads on this subject.

Sent from my Surface 3

kwajr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I've suspected this exact activity happened a year or two before when my memory became at odds with what was actually in my pictures folder.

Hm.
This has happened to me a few times for years.

I assumed it was some one in my family all my kids and wife had wps so thought they did t know what they were doing.

Bottom line iis look at your recycle bin sometimes

pfwhitworth

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm using Windows 7 Professional. Started losing documents and folders. Not sure exactly when this started to happen but created a folder for some 2016 tax documents bank statement copies etc. The folder was gone next time I looked in Onedrive. I thought I must have made a mistake and recreated the folder and copied in the docs. Few days later, went to copy some more documents and folder was gone again! As were some documents from a previously created folder.

I saw some posts about this problem and checked recycle bin. All the stuff I had recently copied to Onedrive was in the recycle bin!!! I used the restore feature and all seemed well....until a couple of days later I checked Onedrive and my documents were gone. Again. They were in the recycle bin.

This problem seems to have been reported by others on other sites. Naturally Microsoft is ignoring the issue. Bottom line: I not longer trust Onedrive. I was lucky. I didn't lose much. But I can never trust this product with anything of any importance and I'm reluctantly going back to portable drives for my saved documents.

vice86

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Just upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and noticed I lost a lot of hard drive space. Now i see about 30GB in my trash and it looks like a bunch of stuff from my OneDrive account. Not sure why it would all be in there and guess have to test if i delete from trash will it actually delete it from my onedrive account.

Another annoying thing is I used to be able to see all my files from OneDrive in that stide bar when I had OneDrive expanded. Now its just empty and asks if i want to sync all my OD folders to it...no, i dont need them back on there. It's already on a backup. I guess they're forcing you to use the app now intead of just seeing it on the left sidebar tree?

EDIT: Wow, actually 145GB in my trash...deleted all and my OneDrive acct is still intact. Not sure why all those files were in there. I know i put some in but i know not 145GB worth.

Last edited:

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
950XL:
originally I had this problem then after an update it vanished but after last update it appeared again. So new files & folders I save on OneDrive and copy to 950XL SD remain on OneDrive but deleted from 950XL SD :angry::sweaty::unhappysweat:

Crossy7980

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
It's still happening for me, but it appears to be only one of the several PCs which sync to the one OneDrive.

It seems to occur when I start my W10 lappie so the first thing I do is restore everything in the bin, it does NOT seem to happen with my W8 (not 8.1) laptop.

GeorgeF2

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Discovered today that files was deleted on 5 Dec 2016, and yes its in the recycle bin.
Im 100% sure I did not delete these files on the local machine.

Win 10 Pro - updated 100%

Regards
GF:angry:

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I had a bunch of files disappear, so I suspected they went to the recycle bin as per this thread, but they were not there! I eventually found them in a folder (that I didn't make) in the Public folder! WTF!

EpicenterX

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
If you try and open a file online, and close the file before its able to fully open becuase its hanging or youre tired of waiting, this stupid OneDrive system will throw your file in the recycling bin - everytime. Who the $%&# thought that would be a good idea. Yeah, I've caught it doing it to me on multiple computers across all platforms on .doc .pdf files.

It just did it again, just now.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
If you try and open a file online, and close the file before its able to fully open becuase its hanging or youre tired of waiting, this stupid OneDrive system will throw your file in the recycling bin - everytime. Who the $%&# thought that would be a good idea. Yeah, I've caught it doing it to me on multiple computers across all platforms on .doc .pdf files.

It just did it again, just now.

Thanks! good to know. OneDrive has been behaving itself since the file moving incident I posted about above.

garyhb

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
Yup, just discovered 7 gigs of resources in my recycle bin and not for the first time.

Nope, sorry I was wrong.. IT WAS 15 GB!

Now, my Onedrive account says I'm using 5 GB of my 1TB. So, I hit 'Restore all'. Onedrive starts to replace the files. The recycle bin shows 'empty'. OK good. Onedrive says I'm using 16GB of my 1TB

Then I get suspicious because some folders on my PC just aren't getting the blue update marker and on reflection I thought I had more files.

I go back to Onedrive. I go to the recycle bin and there's a pile more files. I restore all again. Onedrive says I'm using 21GB of my 1TB! More blue markers appear... ok ... Onedrive now says I'm using 16GB of my 1TB again!

NO...WAIT...IT'S 22.6GB ... I mean WTF!

I've been a programmer, Linux user, built my own network so I'm not that clueless here but this is just stupid! Good job I keep backups...

BLAH!

Last edited:

BostonHo

Apr 8, 2017
Visit site
same thing happens here
i am using onedrive in both my macbook and Window PC
yesterday while i was using macbook, Onedrive deleted my files. i DID NOT do anything
today while i opened my Window PC, Onedrive again deleted my files
I can see each of my files being deleted one by one, but i couldnt stop it
fortunately they were all in Recycled bin
oh gosh what happened to ONEDRIVE

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Very strange. I have personally not had this happen. Just looked in recycle bin to be sure and there were just a couple files that I had deleted.
Need to find what is causing this for some. Should not have to worry about something like this happening.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I just ran into this as well. I just noticed some files were missing this morning. Somehow OneDrive has been auto deleting a bunch of files; it looks like it started back on March 23rd. (At least that was the earliest delete date I saw in the recycle bin.) Was a whole bunch of random files including MP3s, photos, etc. This is not good.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had a lot of time to figure this out over the holiday weekend, but what's been going on with my OneDrive is insane. I'm finding multiple copies of the same file (same name, from the same location, same size and metadata, etc.) in the Recycle Bin. They even have overlapping creation dates. But it's even worse than that. I'm seeing evidence of cross linking of files.

For example, I've got a deleted MP3 (track #5 out of 13) that has 12 copies in the recycle bin. 11 of them are the same file and are 8.98 MB; the 12th (and apparently last) deleted copy is only 33.0 KB and is actually an old security cam photo from a different location with the MP3's filename. And of the real MP3 copies, one has a creation date of 4/8/2017 and deletion date of 4/9/2017, but another one of these duplicates has a creation date of 4/6/2017 and a deletion date of 4/9/2017, both showing the same original location. According to these dates, there were two identical copies in the same place at the same time.

At the moment I've unlinked all my PCs from OneDrive and want to see if that seems to stabilize things until I've got time to dig further. But seeing what I'm seeing, I'm going to have to go through all my files to see if any other corruption has been taking place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs