When programming, I work with source files on Drive C. I then take the code files and place a copy under One Drive, and they sync to the cloud.

I was thinking of just directly accessing the files shown under OneDrive on my PC so that all changes were synced automatically to the cloud shortly after changes were made.

Is this safe, and workable, or am I better doing the manual transfer from C to the OneDrive shown on the Tree listing in File Explorer.
    09-25-2015 01:54 PM
    I do that... But all you are doing is syncing each saved change it to the cloud... It works, but is not real version control. If you make an erroneous change (I mean who does that. :P), that will be in your source now... Not cool...

So, I do save some files of code directly on onedrive, it is mostly for access between all my devices...

What you should do instead is use a solution like source tree and bitbucket. That has real version control. The source is saved in the cloud. I use source tree to pull down data locally, which I have saved to OneDrive for all device access even I source tree is not installed.

This way you can work locally, keep different branches of source like master, develop, bug fix, etc, and push up when needed... This works great for projects 1 or more people are working on as you can compare changes and maintain version control... While keeping code in the cloud (bitbucket and OneDrive).

Hope that helped...
    Tim Stone likes this.
    09-25-2015 02:12 PM