11-18-2015 03:39 PM
30 12
tools
    This is absolutely a bonehead move by Microsoft.... a handful of people abuse the service, so all users get punished.

Microsoft Kills Unlimited OneDrive Storage, Downgrades Paid and Free Options - Digits - WSJ
    mheri2608 likes this.
    11-02-2015 10:35 PM
    11-03-2015 04:06 AM
    Yeah. My onedrive account is sitting at 4gb. I gpt only pictures and recorded videos there. Uploaded since WP7 times. I hope they do something about it because I use onedrive very often.
    mheri2608 likes this.
    11-03-2015 04:12 AM
    This is madness

Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!!! XD

Sorry, I had to. :D

Anyway, I'm not a heavy user and my 30GB on OneDrive are just sitting there with 28.7GB unused, but I must agree that this really is a bad move from MSFT.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 11-10-2015 at 12:52 AM. Reason: cleanup on aisle 5
    11-03-2015 04:23 AM
    Sorry... TT gone crazy on me.
    11-03-2015 04:24 AM
    It is/was unlimited !! so 75Tb is not abuse , nice try Microsoft
    xandros9 and noersetiawan like this.
    11-03-2015 05:11 AM
    I'm sorry but the combination of everything is corporate suicide especially when combined with their reasoning they gave which makes no sense given the range of things they did.
    11-03-2015 05:52 AM
    Thanks to my Office 365 subscription, I'm unaffected, I'm hardly going to miss what I was unlikely to use anyway. However I do think 5GB is too small because, allowing 50MB per album, that's only equivalent to 100 CDs. I already have 237 albums in One Drive and am only about half way through my collection - I haven't even touched my classical music yet. This is too restrictive to convince customers to use the service, you don't even get an allowance with a Groove Music pass, IIRC.

The other issue is safety. I personally trust Microsoft more than any other company in being able to keep my data safe, however this is a significant wobble on their part. Cloud storage is still relatively new and has yet to convince many that it is a safe option. The problem is that the precedent has been set; you store all your stuff in the cloud and with one change in the T&Cs, a substantial portion is gone. Yes, I know Microsoft is giving its users a year's grace, but you don't sell a service by giving its users nasty surprises.
    11-03-2015 06:56 AM
    The Microsoft OneDrive new logo...

onedrive-place.jpg
    11-03-2015 03:01 PM
    Just a completely ridiculous and stupid set of decisions and moves by MS. To promote "Cloud First / Mobile First", and then to totally cripple your commitment to that slogan and the public's perception of your commitment by effectively saying:

"Well, what we mean is Cloud First / Mobile First as long as it's really not a whole lot of stuff that you want to put into your cloud, because, like, if you put your CD collection up there (which we suggested you do so you can stream it from OneDrive) and if you actually backup all your camera photos and videos up there (which we heavily promoted by offering you some bonus GB specifically for doing so but then decided you shouldn't really need it or have it) and if you save Outlook.com attachments there and use OneNote a lot and Office365 for actually collaborating with others, and if you move other files from your laptop to OneDrive so you have access to them from all your devices like we've promoted, and if you back up some other files to OneDrive to help prevent file loss, and if you basically just use OneDrive like a regular person's hard drive in the sky (remember the bonus GB we provided when we changed the name from SkyDrive to OneDrive because some little company somewhere, ummm, actually owned the rights to the SkyDrive name? Oops.), and if you intend to use OneDrive in all these productive ways for some untold number of years into the future, then, I mean, jeesh, all that storage is gonna add up! Probably to even more than a TB, and that's totally catching us off guard! So we'd rather alienate our best customers and biggest proponents in a time when we really, really, really need them because of all this intense competition from pesky Apple and Google and when we're introducing a new operating system and a Surface Book and two new mobile phones and a new flagship store in New York City, than be reasonable and trustworthy about how to adjust the cloud offerings we promised to those same customers and proponents. We're pretty sure that ruining all the goodwill and momentum we built up over the last few years through our innovative products and value-based offerings will somehow totally pay off in the long haul. Satya has it all figured out . . . we think."

Remember that you can send feedback directly to the OneDrive team by opening the OD app on your phone and then shaking your phone to bring up the feedback box. And, ironically enough, the feedback box text space seems to be "unlimited".
    Last edited by BBMINI; 11-03-2015 at 04:12 PM.
    11-03-2015 03:50 PM
    >BBMINI

Outstanding summary of Microsoft 's mismanagement of OneDrive.
    BBMINI likes this.
    11-03-2015 07:19 PM
    I thought the OneDrive spot for ur music was separate if u had a music pass it promised us 50,000 songs to add. Didn't know it was shared
    11-03-2015 07:22 PM
    @BBMINI

You should totally post that on the OneDrive uservoice.
    BBMINI likes this.
    11-04-2015 12:34 AM
    @BBMINI
    You should totally post that on the OneDrive uservoice.
    10-4. Will do. Thanks for the suggestion and link.
    11-04-2015 08:43 AM
    FYI, as of 3:00 eastern time today the "Give us back our storage" OneDrive uservoice idea has just under 30,000 votes. And that's many thousands of votes higher than it was even this morning. Maybe/hopefully MS will realize they totally screwed up on this, but we'll see . . .
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-04-2015 03:10 PM
    And just 8 hrs later the vote count just blew past 40,000 w/o a pause. Microsoft....can you hear the Users Voices NOW?

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive
    11-04-2015 11:15 PM
    That's why giving all your data /anything for safe keep has never been the best idea, I prefer the traditional way of having your own hard drives. Another scenario is to workup one day and find yourself being denied access to your data for whatever reason that might be,
    11-04-2015 11:53 PM
    That's why giving all your data /anything for safe keep has never been the best idea, I prefer the traditional way of having your own hard drives. Another scenario is to workup one day and find yourself being denied access to your data for whatever reason that might be,
    Well, the files are still on our hard drives - trying to keep them in sync across two or three devices can be awkward with USB drives.

And hardware failure can be a thing, I've had a portable hard drive go kaput on me a couple years ago.

So that's why I use everything.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-05-2015 12:22 AM
    No doubt I'm in the minority, but I think people should pay for cloud storage based on usage. Otherwise the cost is embedded in other products and services and the nominal users subsidize the gluttons.
    11-05-2015 12:48 AM
    With the reasoning MS gave, they obviously didn't really mean "unlimited" when they said "unlimited" before. They meant it's unlimited as long as you don't plan on actual using it.

I can understand their decision to switch to 1 TB, but the reasoning and execution is horrible.

Also, why did they nerf all the other lower tiers? That has nothing to do with people who "abused" their unlimited plan.
    11-05-2015 12:56 AM
    I can understand their decision to switch to 1 TB, but the reasoning and execution is horrible.
    To me, even their decision to reduce max storage to 1TB is very shortsighted and works strongly against their stated desire for OneDrive to be the place for (almost) everything in our lives (as Kavu2 reminded us of above). Part of the beauty and attraction of the "unlimited" OD offer for me was that I simply didn't have to worry about space anymore and so by default I could just put "everything" there. I wasn't planning to abuse it or upload 75TB to it, but it was great knowing that all my files, all my camera photos and videos, my music collection (which they ENCOURAGED us to do), and whatever else I wanted could readily go into my OneDrive and stay there. It would truly become my default hard drive for everything -- and that would apply now and into the future. So maybe I wouldn't hit the 1TB limit this year, but if OneDrive usage was supposed to be a long term proposition and new core plan for how people use their technology then it seems pretty reasonable to expect that a LOT of paying users (not abusers) would hit 1TB pretty quickly (and then what happens?). So now that theres a limit, even a relatively large limit, it means I again have to start deciding what to place into OD and what to keep on other hard drives, which for me really reduces the functionality and appeal of OneDrive and cloud storage overall. If some of my files are in OneDrive and others are stuck on my laptop, and others on my tablet, then Im forced to prioritize what Ill actually need access to from all my devices, and I return to the relative confusion and frustration of operating within limits and needing a file but realizing its elsewhere and inaccessible. Seems like a real step back to me.

I suspect that for me and most others, a 5TB limit, or possibly even 2TBs, would effectively be unlimited for years or decades to come. But to force loyal MS customers and enthusiasts to abruptly shift their thinking from unlimited to undeniably limited is a terrible move for Microsoft goodwill and how people perceive the value that MS is providing and the mobile lifestyle strategy theyve been championing. Users and prospective users are now forced to change their mindset from this is awesome and easy and refreshing because I have all the cloud space I could ever need; I dont have to wonder or worry about where I store my files and I appreciate Microsoft for being forward-thinking and providing this kind of unmatched solution and value to users of its ecosystem to what should I put in the cloud and what should I store elsewhere? what files are in OneDrive and whats on my laptop? how often will I have to purge my photos so I dont hit my limit? is it really worth moving music to the cloud since itll take up more space? I wonder what Google Drive is like? would Amazons unlimited plan be a better option since MS isnt actually committed to the Cloud/Mobile strategy they bragged about? The limited aspect of the new proposition, even though the limits are generous, simply introduces questions and hesitancy about how well all the MS ecosystem parts will work together and how enthusiastically we as users should and will be able to use all those aspects of a mobile, multi-device lifestyle into the foreseeable future.

It might seem like 1TB is plenty, and its definitely a lot, but unfortunately it still means moving everyones mindset from unlimited and the all-encompassing ease that comes with that to real limitations on what you can do and I think thats a huge blow to the badly needed foothold MS seemed to be barely gaining in the cloud, ecosystem and public perception competitions.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-05-2015 08:33 AM
    And the UserVoice thread crossed 50,000 votes at around 10:00 am est today. Wow.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-05-2015 10:08 AM
    And still no official response from MS.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-06-2015 10:42 AM
    At the end of the day we can all argue whether Microsoft is justified or not.

The problem is not what they did, but how they did it. Even if they now decided to have a change of heart and grandfather existing users in, the trust has already been lost.
    11-06-2015 11:53 AM
    At the end of the day we can all argue whether Microsoft is justified or not.

The problem is not what they did, but how they did it. Even if they now decided to have a change of heart and grandfather existing users in, the trust has already been lost.
    Reminds me of the XB1 debacle. But at least with XB1 they were terms for a new product. With OneDrive they are changing things for existing users using their existing products.

All of a sudden, any Lumia device I own just became less valuable.
    11-06-2015 12:06 PM
30 12