Onedrive is dead, were do we go now?

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Anyway to the topic. I already use Google drive & Mega from the start of their services. I also had 50GB from Dropbox from my Android phone, but I lost my credentials ah well. New account only has 5GB of space.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The changes will be next year.

Get Office 365 for $99/year and get the worlds best productivity software suite, kept up to date, and 1 TB of the OneDrive cloud storage. Amazing functionality and a great deal.

Or sign up for Dropbox Pro for $99/year for 1 TB of cloud storage. A great service too.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I didn't realize the difference between alive and dead is $2/month. Life is fragile.

Some people don't need 1TB and already have paid copies of office. Doing away with 100 Gig and 200 Gig tiers is moronic and cripples consumer choice. They could have easily offered the 50 gig tier alongside these. The camera roll bonus is going to impact more than a few sales of the upcoming 950 and 950 XL.

Lastly you have the issue of trust, since they pulled the rug underneath their user base on the pretext that people were using 75 TB on a service advertised as UNLIMITED. Some of the content may have been questionable and such content is covered by the Terms of Service.

If said TOS is breached then those are grounds to lock down the offending accounts. Not grounds to penalise your entire user base.

Why would you want to pay for service which could just change dramatically?

"we have know decided to reduce the one drive storage offered to 365 customers to 500 Gig, because people were using almost 1 Tb. Blah blah blah".

Trust is what cloud storage providers need and without that... What's the point?

Why do you think there was a huge stink about privacy and user data stored in different parts of the world?

What they could have done:
1) They could have easily grandfathered the accounts using 1TB+

2) locked down the offending accounts if the TOS was breached.

3) made new accounts going forward have only 5 Gigs (change coming into affect on dd/mm/yyyy).

4) offered the 50 Gig plans alongside other tiers.

5) kept the camera roll bonus, are they going to reword all adverts that showcase this bonus?

As otherwise it is going to be classed as miss selling and false advertising which is a criminal offence for which you will be heavily penalised for.

6) add 1TB increment add-ons so people have the option of adding more storage.

7) reduce new 365 accounts to 1TB after a certain date.

So, as you can see who ever thought and made this decision has gone beyond full retard.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Some people don't need 1TB and already have paid copies of office. Doing away with 100 Gig and 200 Gig tiers is moronic and cripples consumer choice. They could have easily offered the 50 gig tier alongside these. The camera roll bonus is going to impact more than a few sales of the upcoming 950 and 950 XL.

Lastly you have the issue of trust, since they pulled the rug underneath their user base on the pretext that people were using 75 TB on a service advertised as UNLIMITED. Some of the content may have been questionable and such content is covered by the Terms of Service.

If said TOS is breached then those are grounds to lock down the offending accounts. Not grounds to penalise your entire user base.

Why would you want to pay for service which could just change dramatically?

"we have know decided to reduce the one drive storage offered to 365 customers to 500 Gig, because people were using almost 1 Tb. Blah blah blah".

Trust is what cloud storage providers need and without that... What's the point?

Why do you think there was a huge stink about privacy and user data stored in different parts of the world?

What they could have done:
1) They could have easily grandfathered the accounts using 1TB+

2) locked down the offending accounts if the TOS was breached.

3) made new accounts going forward have only 5 Gigs (change coming into affect on dd/mm/yyyy).

4) offered the 50 Gig plans alongside other tiers.

5) kept the camera roll bonus, are they going to reword all adverts that showcase this bonus?

As otherwise it is going to be classed as miss selling and false advertising which is a criminal offence for which you will be heavily penalised for.

6) add 1TB increment add-ons so people have the option of adding more storage.

7) reduce new 365 accounts to 1TB after a certain date.

So, as you can see who ever thought and made this decision has gone beyond full retard.

Why did you use my specific quote to launch your missive? Let's look at OP's comment I was responding to:

"Without that storage space, Groove streaming is essentially dead." He was presumably referring to the free space that is being cut back that he previously used to store his music. $2/month gives him 50GB, which is more that the free space he previously enjoyed. Hence, my comment that the difference between alive and dead is $2/month. OP's comment therefore smacks of drama queen hyperbole.

As to your comprehensive analysis, I agree with some of your points regarding how MS could have come up with a better set of tiers but it's pretty obvious to me that they are trying to establish the sweet spot at 1TB as the value there is way better than their competitors. If you don't like it, you can move to a different service that suits your needs. If you don't trust them, then move to another company that you trust. I would submit, however, that trusting any corporation is a risky venture at best. To use your derogatory term, one can easily argue that expecting 25-40GB of free cloud storage *forever* has gone beyond full retard.

You have your opinion, and I can respect that. Nevertheless, I am pleased that MS is getting rid of the data hoarders on the top end and the freeloaders on the bottom end because I have no desire to subsidize their usage. Whether OneDrive is now "dead" remains to be seen, but what is clear is that OP is unwilling to spend $2/month to solve his music storage issues and I don't really sympathize with him on that.

silentFan

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Onedrive is not dead and certainly won't be as long as office is used.
And for 1Tb office space and the groove music space added, one should be pretty comfortable on storing music, files and photos.
Unless of course you are backing up your pc in which case buy the storage!!
As for the camera roll and loyalty bonus, I think they should have at least tried to offer something.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Maybe Microsoft should encourage people to pay by providing a better service and apps rather than luring people into their service with free storage then later removing that free storage and taking their data hostage.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Maybe Microsoft should encourage people to pay by providing a better service and apps rather than luring people into their service with free storage then later removing that free storage and taking their data hostage.

Seriously? Ok, the bait & switch was a bad move but OneDrive as a service is up there with the best. It has Office integration (inc. editing documents online), they have really improved the photo handling and added albums which are quite nice, sharing is simple, the API & integration with apps is good & you can mount your whole OneDrive folder as a network drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Why did you use my specific quote to launch your missive? Let's look at OP's comment I was responding to:

"Without that storage space, Groove streaming is essentially dead." He was presumably referring to the free space that is being cut back that he previously used to store his music. $2/month gives him 50GB, which is more that the free space he previously enjoyed. Hence, my comment that the difference between alive and dead is $2/month. OP's comment therefore smacks of drama queen hyperbole.

As to your comprehensive analysis, I agree with some of your points regarding how MS could have come up with a better set of tiers but it's pretty obvious to me that they are trying to establish the sweet spot at 1TB as the value there is way better than their competitors. If you don't like it, you can move to a different service that suits your needs. If you don't trust them, then move to another company that you trust. I would submit, however, that trusting any corporation is a risky venture at best. To use your derogatory term, one can easily argue that expecting 25-40GB of free cloud storage *forever* has gone beyond full retard.

You have your opinion, and I can respect that. Nevertheless, I am pleased that MS is getting rid of the data hoarders on the top end and the freeloaders on the bottom end because I have no desire to subsidize their usage. Whether OneDrive is now "dead" remains to be seen, but what is clear is that OP is unwilling to spend $2/month to solve his music storage issues and I don't really sympathize with him on that.

First of all, I apologise it was not directed at you and I was just speaking generally. You have your opinion like everyone else and I respect that.

If your gripe is why isn't this X user spending $2 a month for the 50 Gig option, you need to look from his/her perspective as $2 is all a lot money when you convert it to other currencies. Plus your looking at ($2 x 12) x Y number of years the user is using their service so it is not "just $2 a month". I do understand where you're coming from just you need to take into the OP's perspective.

In regards to which I would say is somewhat overly dramatic but he / she has point and may have been said out of frustration, anger etc.

Invariably he/she will speak to friends and family and then you have a chain event where what was initially said is lost in translation = user's moving to other services + more research into the service in question. The latter may lead to a few more subs to other services, who knows.

Furthermore you are not subsidising anybody's usage really, if you were going to look at it from that perspective then every bill you pay "subsidises" usage for some one else :p as it goes to a "collective pot" and then spread.

With any storage service you are always going to get freeloaders and hoarders, that's a given and a undeniable fact.

Expecting 25 - 40 gb free {pretty much everyone was getting 30 GB} for eternity may not make no sense on the face of it however you need to be competitive and you need a appetising lure to get users to use your service. Especially since when recordings and photos are getting larger...

For instance photos don't count to your Google Drive limit on the proviso they are stored as "high quality" and even then there are some caveats.

Google Drive.PNG

That is what you call a rather attractive lure, what do OneDrive users have to look forward to now with these changes? hmm..

It's not simple as "if you don't like it, move to another service", as you need to take into account some people have a lot more data to move and may have to deal with capped broadband connections, slow connections and may need to shell out for external storage whilst they research or weigh up their options.

In terms of value, I agree that 1 TB + office 365 is still good value however that only caters to a certain audience (which may be a large audience, it is still a group never the less). However what you have now is a lot of unlimited subscribers that are now stuck with tremendous amount of data and now they have to spend a lot of time migrating; there couldn't have been a better mix for resentment lol.

OneDrive will of course will continue which is a given as the future is cloud first, mobile first however the next quarter's financials will be more than interesting to say the least.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
With any storage service you are always going to get freeloaders and hoarders, that's a given and a undeniable fact.

Expecting 25 - 40 gb free {pretty much everyone was getting 30 GB} for eternity may not make no sense on the face of it however you need to be competitive and you need a appetising lure to get users to use your service. Especially since when recordings and photos are getting larger...

For instance photos don't count to your Google Drive limit on the proviso they are stored as "high quality" and even then there are some caveats.

That is what you call a rather attractive lure, what do OneDrive users have to look forward to now with these changes? hmm..

You raise an important point--Google now stands above MS and Apple when it comes to free cloud storage. It stands to reason that the freebie crowd (who, if they are as financially strained as you indicate, also typically don't buy apps and other services) will use Google and MS/Apple won't be terribly disappointed by that. OP falls into that category. MS won't gnash their teeth over losing a customer who uses OneDrive for music storage but doesn't want to pay for either OneDrive or Groove.

midaba

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Well I'm not broke and I can easily afford $2 a month but thats not really my problem with this change. First off free is a relative term. When I own an windows phone I'm buying into Microsofts ecosystem which means if I want Apps for it I have to pay Microsoft. Microsoft gets money if I subscribe to groove music and they get money if I buy into Office 365 ect. I get not offering unlimited storage but bait and switch move does cause my trust. If I didn't read these forums maybe I wouldn't have noticed and my files would have been deleted. Also, if google (Microsoft's competitor in not only cloud storage but also phone OS) offers 15gb free and MS offers only 5gb it takes value away from Windows phone. I'm not a freeloader but I'm also not a sucker and if I can get a better price I will. If I need more storage I will pay for it but I won't pay for 15gb when the competitor gives that much away for free. I think at minimum Microsoft should reward those who bought into their phone ecosystem with a reasonable amount of space to store there photos and music included. Just my 2 cents.

jonny melamet

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you regarding this.

One drive is for work, while Google drive is for creative/fun stuff. At the same time, I will always back up to an internal network and hard disk for important information.

Mendzapp

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Whilst I can't say I'll be moving just yet as these changes won't affect me I've often thought about building a small cloud storage solution that uploads your files between the free tiers of Dropbox, OneDrive, Baidu and Google Drive so you can get maximum amounts of free usage. The app would probably be against the terms of each service but it would be pretty cool to retrieve files stored in many places from one on your computer.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
MS won't gnash their teeth over losing a customer who uses OneDrive for music storage but doesn't want to pay for either OneDrive or Groove.

To a certain extent, every customer is valuable.

For example, we say that Microsoft focused on low end for awhile to build market share. But why build a customer base on this premise?

Most Windows Phones in use today are low cost models. Their owners probably don't produce very much revenue for Microsoft. Microsoft was in the red right off the bat selling those phones at a loss.

How would you reconcile your statement with this?

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I checked the blog post and it mentions that those currently using 15gigs free storage will be given a free Office 365 subscription for a year. Use that time to save up for a dropbox subscription.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Get Office 365 for $99/year and get the worlds best productivity software suite, kept up to date, and 1 TB of the OneDrive cloud storage. Amazing functionality and a great deal.
Great, that works for you, but most people don't need or want Office365, or even 1TB of storage. So essentially, anyone purchasing a Windows phone is looking at an additional $2 a month above and beyond the cost of the phone for 50GB, which might get you through a year or two with 20mp and 4K video. So on a two-year contract add $48 to the cost of your phone.

That's one of the irksome things about this--why not tiers that are competitive with Google to give the phones a fighting chance? I would suggest something like 15GB free with the purchase of a phone, maybe 25GB with the purchase of a Windows 10 device, then tiers of 50GB, 100GB, 500GB, and 1TB. You also need higher tiers for power users.

And what about the millions of Windows 10 PCs that MS wants to sell to everyone from students to retirees--it is just irritating them to integrate OneDrive fully, then tell them by the way that additional feature you need and want is an extra you need to subscribe to and the only tier is 1TB at $7 per month. The average PC is used for 4-5 years so at $7 per month that adds $420 (60 months) to the cost of your $499 laptop!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)