Onedrive storage down to 5GB from 15 + 15GB

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I moved many people over because of how much better it was. Now I'm going to have to answer for that. And seriously they are airing ads about Surface being for artists. Who uses the most cloud storage of any people out there? ARTISTS! Designers! Musicians! The very people who are being targeted. "With the surface you can put a few raw files on your 5 gig cloud" Nice.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why people are panicking when this was a free service? Its $1.99 a month for 100GBs of additional storage. In the grand scheme of things, that isn't a lot of money.

If you value your cloud music collection, I would wonder why you don't already have an XBOX Music subscription... Which when activated gives you an additional 100GB's of storage.

If you're a college student, or use office 365 in any sort of capacity you'll still get 1TB of space to use.

I use FLAC files for Music coupled with Jriver on PC. Music alone is 500GB - 1TB is nothing in my eyes and I have already gone past that limit using only images, music and files. Add another TB for films.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I really don't care about the uber large offerings of more than a terabyte, but the real kicker is cutting back on the Free and Camera Roll Storage Offering. That is completely ridiculous. I like this user voice option too: Keep Free Storage at 15GB ? Feature Suggestions for Microsoft OneDrive

Also, send feedback from within your OneDrive app itself.

View attachment 115713

Exactly....

I sent feedback on insider app. Look for it under one drive section and upvote.

NICK TOALE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Wonder how many people actually read the T & C's. I have plenty of examples of systems changing for the worse. Bought a Buffalo NAS a couple of years ago which had lots of great features but through various updates and service changes it has pretty much become a paper weight and for the money spent I could buy a substantial package for a lot of years from OneDrive. Personally I like OneDrive it does work unfortunately there are some Muppets who will abuse anything that is free 75TB is a lot of hard disk space for a cloud server I've just spent $30k on 2 x 2TB special media servers (hardware and software) so someone has to pay as it ain't cheap

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
There's already talks about MS doing something similar with Windows 10. Giving it away for free and then once it has a large user base start making changes. See it's changes like that that create paranoia in people about a company. It's a trust issue.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
.I can understand them no longer offering unlimited storage but cutting back to 5GB and removing the 15GB camera roll option for existing users?!

I am guessing the reason they did this to current users, is that there are a large number of people who have likely exceeded the original 5GB by now. Most people would find it a hassle to move that amount of data elsewhere so there is a good chance they will pay to keep it.

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
When I bought Lumia, there was OneDrive offer bundled with it. MSFT showed untrustworthy and inconsistent. Today I've removed all my stuff from OneDrive and put to other cloud service and on external hard drive.

Idem tamo gdje je sve po mom.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
.I can understand them no longer offering unlimited storage but cutting back to 5GB and removing the 15GB camera roll option for existing users?!

I am guessing the reason they did this to current users, is that there are a large number of people who have likely exceeded the original 5GB by now. Most people would find it a hassle to move that amount of data elsewhere so there is a good chance they will pay to keep it.

I probably would pay 2$, but just because I decided to develop little apps and I do not want to have both android and lumias so I will stick to lumia BUT if I didn't develop for MS I would probably have gone and bought a super uber android phone and call it a day. And I really don't like android UI....

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
When all is said and done I feel 10TB upper limit is justifiable and would offer good value as part of Office 365. This would stop those trying to put everything from everywhere onto OneDrive, especially the education institutions whoe are the guilty ones of 75TB+.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
When all is said and done I feel 10TB upper limit is justifiable and would offer good value as part of Office 365. This would stop those trying to put everything from everywhere onto OneDrive, especially the education institutions whoe are the guilty ones of 75TB+.

It's freakin called ONEDrive!

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't think most users are having a problem with them deciding not to offer unlimited anymore, but more the fact that existing users at the low end have had their feet cut off. I am guessing most users fall into the low end and Microsoft needed to find a way to make them pay. A lot of people I know mainly take photos and not much video and even 15GB would last them quite a while before needing to pay otherwise!

agd87

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe they've done this. It's completely out of order. I'm not going to run off and join another cloud; It's going to cause such an inconvenience to download and delete files.

I understand it's a free service but they've tempted us to increase our GB by doing this and that and now they've taken it away.

Finchee

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow the people in the comments section of the OneDrive blog post are livid. I must say that this is a dumb move by Microsoft.

BTW, after the changes are done in 2016, the $1.99 plan is only going to get you 50GB, instead of 100GB.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been on this since it was LiveMesh.

Not happy.

I've accumulated a lot of legacy, phone, surface purchase, bing rewards, credits over the years. After much hesitancy about depending on OneDrive space for this very reason I've been finally going more cloud store this year. I was almost tempted to even move my photos over and sunset my flickr account (giving away 1TB for all users, but I've been a paying user since 2008). Now this.

This has taught me now to never trust one provider for all your needs (a good policy that takes some will to execute). Maybe my songs should go to the amazon cloud, the photos and videos to flickr, and random general files stay on OneDrive.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any problem with reneging on unlimited. It clearly is not even physically possible, so should never have been taken literally. But they do end up looking bad to anyone who didn't realize that.

I don't have a problem changing the amount of space you get for free or the price they charge for space in the future. They are selling something; they have the right to change the price to whatever they want. I think they may have chosen prices that hurt them more than help, but that's another topic.

But telling anyone that they had to do these things and cut back reasonable usage because a few people did something "bad" is unacceptable. It's unacceptable because its a lie. Its like telling someone they had no choice but to blow up an apartment building because a tenant was playing music too loud. It's so obviously a lie that even a politician couldn't say it without blushing.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There's already talks about MS doing something similar with Windows 10. Giving it away for free and then once it has a large user base start making changes. See it's changes like that that create paranoia in people about a company. It's a trust issue.

The moment they try to charge any sort of subscription for Windows 10 after saying "it's free, forever" is the moment they'll simply shoot Windows in the head and give an immense boost to OS X, ChromeOS (which I am betting by then will be unified with Android, despite Google's current denial), Linux and Pirated versions of Windows.
I have a Windows 7 and Windows 8 disk. One of the advantages Windows 10 offered me that Windows 7 didn't was the integration with OneDrive. But since OneDrive will become - come 2016 and unless they reverse this - useless, the appeal of Windows 10 to me is basically gone. If they try to charge me for it I'll simply pick up the Windows 7 disk, format the PC and go back to Windows 7.

As for cloud solutions, I'm currently moving everything to Google Drive (which, what do you know, just offered me 100GB extra for 2 years when I opened their Android app which I had never done since moving to Android because I kept using OneDrive) and I'll just get myself a WD My Cloud, set up a personal cloud and be done with it.
And honestly, even if Microsoft reverses these decisions, my confidence is already broken. I won't use OneDrive as my main cloud solution ever again because I simply don't trust Microsoft anymore to upheld their part of the bargain. Now they say Office 365 users will still get 1TB...but who's to tell me that in 6 months they won't change their minds and reduce that to 500GB?

Bradleykinz

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I have only used just over 3gb of space out of the 30gb I have available, not to thrilled that it will get downgraded to only 5gb. I loved using onedrive on my computer, phone, and xbox one. I understand they save money on this move but I would rather have them only downgrade it to 10gb for free users, it would make me happier if that was the case.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Are you actually serious? My phone only has 8GB internal storage and without my class 10 32GB card helps but with older photos and other media its great to have access to my files on OneDrive. This dramatic reduction in storage means ill have to either pay extra for more storage or get a bigger sd card, I already pay for storage and im super peeved!!! Disgraceful!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss