07-23-2016 06:30 AM
487 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Microsoft finally makes WP/M professional. Times of nokization are gone and WM wont be for sharing pictures by stupid hipsters and it will have microSD to store data. I hope next generation of WM phones won't have useless and heavy features like oversized camera or wireless charging.
    11-05-2015 01:49 PM
    What about Office Professional 2016?
    https://products.office.com/en-us/professional

It costs 400 $.
    It advertises
    Attachment 115787

and says that
    Attachment 115790
    Attachment 115788

1. Pretty sure this will go down to 5 GB.....
    2. So a customer paying $400 gets the same amount as the guy running Linux and Open Office??

MS is a pretty big company and there might be some communication hickups, but there are things they should really avoid if they care about customers....
    I find this really concerning. Other Microsoft products in their own marketing materials (Office 2016, Lumia phones) are continuing to list the 15GB OneDrive base storage as being part of their features, and I know the phones are still listing the extra 15 GB when backing up the camera roll. There's no mention that this is a limited time offer, or that they're planning on scaling this back in the near future. So given that OneDrive is part of the Microsoft ecosystem, being used by other Microsoft products, did the OneDrive group coordinate this change with the other groups or did they just decide to do this unilaterally? Because right now different groups at Microsoft are telling their customers different things. That's management dropping the ball big time. Either the other groups or the OneDrive team need to get with the program and tell a consistent story.
    Last edited by mrpuny; 11-05-2015 at 01:55 PM. Reason: finished thought
    11-05-2015 01:51 PM
    I've actually seen Office 365 Personal for as low as $20 on eBay. Not sure if they are legit.
    Yes they're legit, as in they're the genuine product. You are, however, taking a bit of a risk that they're already used. I bought 2 years' worth of Office 365 Home Premium on eBay, one for $50 another for $54, about half the retail price.
    11-05-2015 01:54 PM
    Try this. I used it to transfer all my files from OneDrive to GoogleDrive. Its free and works great.
    would you mind checking to see if Google re-compressed your (image) files after you did this? inquiring minds want to know.
    11-05-2015 01:57 PM
    Microsoft finally makes WP/M professional. Times of nokization are gone and WM wont be for sharing pictures by stupid hipsters and it will have microSD to store data. I hope next generation of WM phones won't have useless and heavy features like oversized camera or wireless charging.
    The 950s have stellar cameras and wireless charging, SD storage and liquid cooling, IR hardware for Windows Hello nighttime access, while weighing about 150, 160 grams. I pity the limp wristed who can't handle such featherweight unicorn devices.
    fgaudet, yehuda92 and rhapdog like this.
    11-05-2015 01:57 PM
    The 950s have stellar cameras and wireless charging
    and the 950's are some of the only smartphones that will have both Quick and wireless charging, something most recently released Android phones have chosen not to do (except the Priv and Droid Turbo 2).
    11-05-2015 02:07 PM
    To all those trying to justify the 15 GB + 15 GB cut to 5 GB by saying it's a free service and as such we aren't entitled to anything, this is a half truth at best.

The unified OneDrive service across all Windows devices is a major feature of the platform, and was advertised as such.
    Many of us choose Windows devices in part because of the OneDrive service.
    We may not be paying directly for OneDrive, but when we choose Windows devices, we are.

Change that cloud service radically, like the current OneDrive 85% reduction in service, and it changes what we bought into when we bought our Windows devices. It affects the appeal of the entire platform.

No, we may not be entitled to any amount of free storage on OneDrive, but when we're lured to the platform in part because of this feature and Microsoft does a switch and bait like this, we have every right to be pissed off. It's deceptive marketing.

You can't sell me a device touting a 15 + 15 GB of OneDrive space and then just axe that to 5 GB.
    11-05-2015 02:23 PM
    To all those trying to justify the 15 GB + 15 GB cut to 5 GB by saying it's a free service and as such we aren't entitled to anything, this is a half truth at best.

The unified OneDrive service across all Windows devices is a major feature of the platform, and was advertised as such.
    Many of us choose Windows devices in part because of the OneDrive service.
    We may not be paying directly for OneDrive, but when we choose Windows devices, we are.
    I am completely sympathetic with being upset about higher prices. BUT what about the people who bought a gas guzzler when gas was cheap (or even free like when GM was giving out $500 gas cards when you bought some models in Canada)? Are they entitled to keep getting gas at the old prices? MS is at least giving more heads up than the gas stations.

I'm way more upset about the attempts to blame the price increases on a few abusers. Lying to me will reduce the business I do with a company much more than reasonable price changes.
    Great deal and rhapdog like this.
    11-05-2015 02:49 PM
    Clearly the abusers are abusing the free Unlimited storage options... So how about you just remove those, roll subs back to 1 TB and leave the free people alone? Cloud storage on this scale is so inexpensive I doubt this has anything to do with greed or being unable to afford it as others have suggested. I honestly can't think of any good reasons to do it. I don't even mind $2/month per 100GB extra.
    11-05-2015 03:05 PM
    They also back up your data. Lose that flash drive or have a hard drive crash and you are screwed.
    11-05-2015 03:06 PM
    Clearly the abusers are abusing the free Unlimited storage options... So how about you just remove those
    You are falling for the diversion. MS threw the so called abusers out as a red herring. If they never existed the changes would still happen and at the same time. Some ***** thought customers would focus on the "abusers" and every ounce of focus on them is an ounce less on what Microsoft did. They massively miscalculated.
    rhapdog and xandros9 like this.
    11-05-2015 03:22 PM
    I am completely sympathetic with being upset about higher prices. BUT what about the people who bought a gas guzzler when gas was cheap (or even free like when GM was giving out $500 gas cards when you bought some models in Canada)? Are they entitled to keep getting gas at the old prices? MS is at least giving more heads up than the gas stations.

I'm way more upset about the attempts to blame the price increases on a few abusers. Lying to me will reduce the business I do with a company much more than reasonable price changes.
    The people selling gas guzzlers aren't the people also selling the gas.
    This would be more like cars using a special fuel only available from the car manufacturer, and that car manufacturer suddenly turning around and doubling the price of said fuel after having advertised it at a given price.

I agree that using the lame excuse that a few users are abusing the unlimited storage is clearly no justification for what they are doing.
    Frankly, I don't care that much about the excuse they are using, I am more concerned with what they are actually doing.
    rhapdog and techiez like this.
    11-05-2015 03:28 PM
    You are falling for the diversion. MS threw the so called abusers out as a red herring. If they never existed the changes would still happen and at the same time. Some ***** thought customers would focus on the "abusers" and every ounce of focus on them is an ounce less on what Microsoft did. They massively miscalculated.
    Who said I was falling for anything? I was saying if there are abusers, and we can assume there are as I know people who would do this, then that is an easy problem to solve without impacting anyone else. They could have easily removed the unlimited option. They didn't. I still have my 1TB as part of O365 and 30 GB wouldn't have been enough anyway. But I would be annoyed if I had to pay or look for an alternate solution when I had 30GB free already.
    11-05-2015 03:31 PM
    Who said I was falling for anything? I was saying if there are abusers, and we can assume there are as I know people who would do this, then that is an easy problem to solve without impacting anyone else. They could have easily removed the unlimited option. They didn't. I still have my 1TB as part of O365 and 30 GB wouldn't have been enough anyway. But I would be annoyed if I had to pay or look for an alternate solution when I had 30GB free already.
    Its a red herring. Microsoft could care less about the so called abusers. If they never existed, Microsoft would still have done the same thing. The abusers are a red herring, a diversion by Microsoft. So yes, if you are spending time talking about them as if they have any impact on what happened, then you are doing exactly what MS thought they could trick you into doing: spinning your wheels.
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    11-05-2015 03:43 PM
    Guess i'll have to move stuff over to my school Office 365 account....or just pony up the $2/month, which for me isn't a big deal.

I'll be hard for me to recommend Onedrive now, though. The big incentive was the 15GB free + 15GB camera roll as a means for backing up photos at high-res, which was better than Google Drive at one point.
    11-05-2015 03:47 PM
    This leaves Copy and Box, how long until they screw those up ?
    11-05-2015 04:07 PM
    This leaves Copy and Box, how long until they screw those up ?
    Supposedly Box is still working on a new Universal app.

https://www.box.com/blog/introducing...or-windows-10/
    rhapdog likes this.
    11-05-2015 04:16 PM
    Box Personal 10GB free
    Yahoo Flickr 1TB free for photos and videos no 4K
    Google 15 GB free or $1.99/100GB
    MS 5GB free or $1.99/100Gb same in UK 1.99/100GB of course more expensive
    Apple iCloud 5GB free (MS copying Apple of course good or bad no matter JUST COPY IT!)
    Mega.nz 50 GB free with windows app for WM phone or 5 for 200GB not bad!
    Check the link for more options
    13 best cloud storage services 2015/2016: Dropbox vs Google Drive - Test Centre - PC Advisor
    Anyway like many others my Lumia 930 is my last windows phone. MS is apparently doing everything they can to put off their private non-business loyal customers. So be it MS! If that's what you want we'll go. Onedrive is really good much better than google for me. Google drive is a mess. But Mega is fantastic. So is Flickr for photos and videos. Check it out.
    rhapdog likes this.
    11-05-2015 05:08 PM
    I'd advise people to listen to today's What the Tech? and listen to Paul Thurrott give some insight into why this happened.

(I still think the $99 Office365 w/5 x 1TB of OneDrive is a good deal)
    rhapdog, BobLobIaw and Kavu2 like this.
    11-05-2015 05:21 PM
    Thanks for the share, phelme. That's pretty good insight--although it's interesting that he spoke mostly of the reduction from unlimited to 1TB for PAYING Office 365 users.

If 99.99% of people use less than 5GB, then then calculations and decision for free storage limits are right, but the handling of the situation is the big problem. It sounds like the press got wind of this and was going to spill the beans so MS had to make a half-baked, late-night disclosure with a lame excuse. Paul also thought there might be some technical solutions to solve this instead of just lowering the allocations.

It doesn't really change my opinion. I'm not jumping for joy over the change, but it was always expected in my mind. I never thought I'd get 40GB forever. I also think anyone that wants more than 5GB cloud storage should be willing to pony up a buck or two a month. With that in mind, most here disagree but I think the sense of entitlement is a bit disturbing. Like Thurrott said, MS isn't a dead storage company and that's where OneDrive was headed. We all pay for OneDrive as consumers (in one form or another) and I'm not real interested in subsidizing data hoarders so these changes are fine with me.
    920Walker and a5cent like this.
    11-05-2015 06:23 PM
    That Paul Thurrot vlog hardly ever mentioned the drop from 15 to 5 GB for the free users, which imho is the real issue. And the logic is flawed: if 99.9% of users use less than 5 GB, then there's no point in forcibly *capping* everyone at 5 GB. The unlimited plan was a stupid marketing ploy that couldn't be maintained for obvious reasons. Dropping everyone not on a plan to 5 GB to force them on a plan just reeks of greed. Does anyone actually believe that offering 15 GB, or even 30, instead of 5 will break the MS bank?
    Last edited by a5cent; 11-05-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: language edit
    11-05-2015 06:42 PM
    That Paul Thurrot vlog hardly ever mentioned the drop from 15 to 5 GB for the free users, which imho is the real issue. And the logic is flawed: if 99.9% of users use less than 5 GB, then there's no point in forcibly *capping* everyone at 5 GB. The unlimited plan was a stupid marketing ploy that couldn't be maintained for obvious reasons. Dropping everyone not on a plan to 5 GB to force them on a plan just reeks of greed. Does anyone actually believe that offering 15 GB, or even 30, instead of 5 will break the MS bank?
    The problem is that if you offer 30GB for everyone, then you have to plan for that, which means substantially higher costs as Thurrott mentioned accompany a cloud series of servers. If only extreme outliers are using more than 5GB then the number is right. It's just a big P.R. hit to MS because those who consider free cloud storage to be a sacred and cherished amenity are obviously very vocal.
    Last edited by a5cent; 11-05-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: language edit in quoted post
    a5cent likes this.
    11-05-2015 06:54 PM
    I laughed a little when Paul said "why would you want to support Google, they don't even make their apps available for Windows Phone" and I thought to myself... well Microsoft barely does either... ha

I think the biggest impact on this will be felt through Windows Phone sales and as someone testing the waters with a Lumia 830 it certainly gives me pause. I'm already pretty disappointed with Microsoft's own support for their OS. Now as they're about to release new phones with 20 mp cameras and 4k recording they slash their camera backup to 5 gb... I really like the Windows OS itself but for me personally that's just another nudge back to Android.
    11-05-2015 06:55 PM
    I have 40GB free(25GB grandfathered from skydrive + 15GB Camera roll), is that going to be reduced to 5GB as well?
    11-05-2015 08:26 PM
    Thanks phelme for link/share of the Paul Thurrot vlog..

One comment by Paul Thurrot caught my attention....
    @23:15 Paul mentions regarding what might have been the initial reason/goal of the MS implementation of higher storage offerings in the first place.....
    (paraphrased here) ~ 'Perhaps what Microsoft was thinking was that they wanted to remove a perceived barrier to users 'buying' into the MS ecosystem. That perhaps users were hesitating this leap because of a perception that cloud storage was not big enough to comfortably make this 'any device anywhere' marketing pitch work'

This 'cloud anxiety' compares to the 'range anxiety' issue that the electric auto industry faces. Each very real barriers for the consumer. So MS effectively diagnosed the issue but now has completely undercut and counter promoted through their implementation.

The MS marketing strategy of 'any device anywhere' pivots around the concept that your devices will sync your data to the cloud and allow access from anywhere. This is NOT archival storage usage. Granted apparently some users were doing said archival storage (including Paul T)....some in very large quantities....enough that the OneDrive financial model became untenable. And thus the knee jerk and knee cutting reaction by MS. This appears to be a marketing dept implementation and bean-counter downsizing. And apparently the Public Relations dept was nowhere to be seen at this 5 minute lunch-break, without-thought decision.

And for the record any cursory examination of the psychological effects of 'cloud anxiety' would reveal that there is a need for a 'buffer' in storage limits to provide the needed comfort factor to make the leap to the MS marketing sell. So for the 99%(according to Paul's source) of sub-5GB users to be comfortable enough to buy into the 'any device anywhere' marketing sell, there needs to be a buffer beyond that 5GB....physically and visibly beyond....generously beyond...multiples beyond.

Personally I bought into the MS ecosystem with a tablet/PC/phone BECAUSE of this 'feature' offered by MS. One of the MAIN reasons I chose a MS phone was because of the ability to sync my devices(and their apps/services/settings/info) between all my devices...seamlessly. It was a no-brainer and has been great. And although I know that you can kinda/sorta do most(but not all) of this through other cloud storage services, it's not as smooth, convenient or seamless.

Microsoft has lessened the vision of the 'any device anywhere' marketing valuation with this business decision. There are other ways to more effectively rein in operating costs and still retain the initial marketing goal. Cutting 99% of your customers off at the knees to solve a problem created by the 1% is the reactionary thought process of children. Are children now running MS?
    Last edited by Kavu2; 11-05-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    11-05-2015 08:28 PM
487 ... 45678 ...