Onedrive storage down to 5GB from 15 + 15GB

KipperKahn

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hell with MS, if they do drop my account down to 5GB i'm out.

MEGA is looking like a nice alternative. 50GB with your free account and they are now looking for testers for their auto-camera backup feature in the next version of their windows phone app.

Tyrion L

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Lol think about what you just wrote...

$1.99 a month NOW. But what will it be in 2017? How much space will the plan have in 2018? Look at Netflix constantly rising. Trust is the problem here. Microsoft didn't say when we signed up that the 15GB free would be pulled at a moments notice. Europe has strong rules on misleading consumers. Imagine if Facebook started charging?

They also did not represent that everyone would get free unlimited storage for all eternity. The degree that nearly everyone around here seems to believe that Microsoft has violated some unspoken bond of trust by charging money for their services is really kind of shocking to me. So many people have come to expect "free stuff" as if it was some sort of right or reasonable expectation, the violation of which will not be tolerated.

The model that Microsoft and a great many other tech related vendors have been using with us is the same model that drug dealers are notorious for, which has traditionally worked well for them. They give away their product for free, appearing to be very generous, until you become dependent on it, then they turn the tables and start charging you money for it. That so many people are as surprised or angry about this as they clearly are is a bit of a head-scratcher to me. Did you folks really expect this unlimited free service to go on forever? Really?

In fact, most other services of this sort charge for more than a small amount of storage too. Microsoft is just moving its pricing to be more in line with the other big players.

What is more alarming to me is the degree that Microsoft has integrated the use of OneDrive with its operating system and apps, making it somewhat difficult to use their product if you do not want to use OneDrive the way they have set it up. Personally, I want to figure out how to back up everything automatically to my PC hard drive in the evenings, just keeping what I need on my phone during the day. That may not work for everyone, but I am getting the sense that it may be difficult to set that up to work with the ease that OneDrive does due to the natural defaults and level of integration that Microsoft has intentionally designed into its Windows Phone system. These are the sorts of anti-competitive antics that Microsoft has historically been notorious for and for which they have been smacked down by both our Justice Department and the European Commission on several occasions. It is my sense that this is what everyone should be properly agitated about.

Is there a thread or another website that explains how to change ALL the backups that would ordinarily default to OneDrive to another location, specifically on a local hard drive and NOT "In the Cloud"?

Fenoy

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
"Current customers of standalone OneDrive storage plans (such as a 100 or 200 GB plans) are not affected by these changes."

I appear to be unaffected so for me there's no issue. I have 140GB total but only use about 25GB. All my photos stored on an internal HD and backed up on an external HD. I found working off the "cloud" to be less than optimal with LR and PS.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone needs to allow you to choose backup to a cloud service of your choice. Anything integrated with oneDrive needs to change. They shouldn't force us to use their cloud as part of the hardware if the hardware does not receive what was stated in its advertising.

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
The model that Microsoft and a great many other tech related vendors have been using with us is the same model that drug dealers are notorious for, which has traditionally worked well for them. They give away their product for free, appearing to be very generous, until you become dependent on it, then they turn the tables and start charging you money for it. That so many people are as surprised or angry about this as they clearly are is a bit of a head-scratcher to me.

Microsoft is just moving its pricing to be more in line with the other big players.

Stated reason for changes is pretty insulting. I mean really, break this down.

"Because a few users abused our service, we have decided to punish our entire OneDrive userbase by reducing your legitiment, non-abusive options... because PRODUCTIVITY!"

pffffbbtbfbfbtttttt please. The fact the expect people to buy that in straight up insulting.

And more in line with the\ big players? Lets break this down shall we?

Google
100GB $2/month

Microsoft
50GB $2/month

That's HALF for the same price! Seriously, why go OneDrive if you are just barely over 5GB? I'm 7-8GB used... while Office 365 will be a nice perk... it's not NEEDED. I can type up my letters and occasional spreadsheet on LibreOffice and Google Docs just fine... Office is pretty much overkill for my personal needs. The Google Drive will take longer to fill up with photos, so no reason to pay for OneDrive.... Eliminating the 200GB option is also a headscratcher for me, it provided a good option for people that were using over 100GB and didn't want or need to get 1TB... The objective here is obvious... get as many people on the 1TB plan as possible, whether they need that 1TB or not.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
There are a lot of people who seem to be making knee-jerk decisions and panicking over this. While I encourage everyone to let Microsoft know how we feel about what they have announced, there's no need to jump ship somewhere else today.

Myself, I have 140GB total right now (15 free, 15 camera, 10 loyalty, 100 bing). The 100GB bing bonus expires 2/9/2017 but I'm currently only using around 10GB. If the loyalty bonus doesn't go away (not mentioned at all in the onedrive blog post) that means after 2/9/2017 I still have 15GB.

It seems that for most of us there's plenty of time to consider alternatives. I'd say there's a fair chance that MS will listen to the public outcry and adjust things. We'll see.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Agree, I wont be jumping ship from MS other products, will however take back control of systems and processes wherever I can. The lesson learnt is to be more weary of offers from companies and really analyse what the offer means today and in 5 years time. The u turn is a massive inconvenience due to the amount of time required to shift stuff around.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
The way I read the article in Windows Central those who have Office 365 and new customers will only
get 5 GB Onedrive storage. I already started telling friends do NOT go to Office 365, since the onedrive
storage will be cut down. If I'm not the only one telling friends that and others are also, that will cut
down on sales of the product, which will hurt Microsoft further. Microsoft is already hurting on the phone
sales, since Apple and Android have APPs that won't work on Window phones, which makes them
highly desired. Microsoft needs to do more to build their market share, not do things like cut storage
space to decrease their market share. It maybe time for a re-org in Microsoft to get things going in
the right direction.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The way I read the article in Windows Central those who have Office 365 and new customers will only
get 5 GB Onedrive storage.

Office 365 comes with 1TB of storage now. Down from "unlimited".

New users and existing free users will be at 5GB.

Anyway...I have a 365 subscription with 10TB available (part of the "unlimited"). But, I'm only using 143GB at the moment. I have a 200GB Surface bonus that's good until November 2017.

So, with those numbers in mind, I cancelled my 365 sub this morning. They ticked me off, I'm not a heavy user of office, and I can get by with the free offerings. Just my way of giving MS the "finger". Of course, not recommending that for anyone...

Last edited:

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
What about Office Professional 2016?
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ice.com%2Fen-us%2Fprofessional&token=rb_SNFIA

It costs 400 $.
It advertises
Officead.PNG

and says that
Officead2.PNG
Officead3.PNG

1. Pretty sure this will go down to 5 GB.....
2. So a customer paying $400 gets the same amount as the guy running Linux and Open Office?? :confused::confused:

MS is a pretty big company and there might be some communication hickups, but there are things they should really avoid if they care about customers....

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
What about Office Professional 2016?
It costs 400 $.
1. Pretty sure this will go down to 5 GB.....
2. So a customer paying $400 gets the same amount as the guy running Linux and Open Office?? :confused::confused:

Terms of Service state that they can change the terms, amount of service offered, price of service, etc. at any time and will notify you if there is a change.

As far as Office Professional 2016, yes, you pay $400. You get the "Free OneDrive" account with that, because that's what you get with the Microsoft Account.

Not only do you get the same amount as the guy running Linux and Open Office, you also get the same amount as the guy running a MacBook Pro or an iPad. The free amount is the free amount, whoever you are. The $400 is for Office Professional 2016, not for the "paid OneDrive space", because if it was for paid space, it would have been an amount different than the amount offered to the free accounts.

To me, unless you plan on keeping Office 2016 for more than 6 years without upgrading it, then it's just not a good deal compared to Office 365 Personal. Full price on Office 365 Personal is $69.99 per year so for 6 years it costs $419.94 and you get to pay over time. For this price, you get 6 years of 1TB OneDrive Storage plus 60 minutes per month of Skype calls. If Office 2018 or 2021 come out during that time, you also get the free upgrade and stay up to date longer.

I've actually seen Office 365 Personal for as low as $20 on eBay. Not sure if they are legit. There are ways to get it for as little as $40 per year that I know for sure is legit, and you can stack up to 5 years. If you did that, you'd have a single PC running Office 365 for 5 years for only $200, half the price if you want to pay 5 years up front.

Get Office 365 Home and you get 5 PCs/Tablets/Phones for $99 per year. Even a better deal, since you also get 1TB per user for 5 users.

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
My concern is not with the removal of the unlimited option and lowering the free amount of storage, largely because I already pay $2 per month for 100 GB of storage. The plan I currently have is going to be retired for new customers and should Microsoft decide to get rid of it for current customers I would have to change plans. Based on the current news I'm reading the 100 GB and 200 GB plans are being replaced with a 50 GB, so I'd lose half my storage. Either that or have to upgrade to 1 TB, which I probably wouldn't get close to filling and would be paying for way more than I really need.

All of that said I would consider moving to another provider assuming they have a middle tier data limit and that I could still get to my files from all of my devices without having to download a copy of all of it to the device. (I currently have over 30 GB of music, so putting it on my Surface 3 or my Windows Phone would be impractical, if not impossible)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes