07-23-2016 07:30 AM
487 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Dropping everyone not on a plan to 5 GB to force them on a plan just reeks of greed. Does anyone actually believe that offering 15 GB, or even 30, instead of 5 will break the MS bank?
    The user of the term "greed" this week in relation to these events always throws me. They are giving you a service, which they really can't sustain in the way they promised and is not core to their business, for free. Heck, Apple, the wealthiest company on the planet makes their iCloud users pay if you want more than 5 GB. That 5 GB figure MS settled on didn't come out of nowhere.

This is where I believe Google's ad driven revenue stream, and in turn giving a number of services away for free, has in a way poisoned people's brains.

I am curious to see how they handle OneDrive when the 950's are released though and what storage they'll have for those.

(I have 140 GB with OneDrive currently, mostly through Lumia's and Bing Rewards, no idea how much I'll end up with in the end either)
    Last edited by a5cent; 11-05-2015 at 09:41 PM. Reason: language edit of quoted post
    a5cent, BobLobIaw and Great deal like this.
    11-05-2015 09:37 PM
    Does anyone actually believe that offering 15 GB, or even 30, instead of 5 will break the MS bank?
    I'd definitely believe that.

Without numbers it's impossible to estimate however. If you don't know how many people use OneDrive and what their average storage requirements are, then there is no way to make any claim about whether the service is cost prohibitive or not. Either way, online storage isn't a cheap service to offer.

For every GB someone uses, MS requires 3GB to store it safely, so giving us 15GB actually costs MS 45GB. Hosting that data requires that MS setup multiple, geographically separated facilities that must be maintained and staffed. Adding hundreds if not (more likely) thousands of HDD drives to the storage network every day certainly isn't cheap either. Just thinking of the electricity bills makes me weary, not to mention bandwidth costs.

Paul Thurott explicitly stated that MS' current setup just wasn't economically feasible, which is another big hint that changing from 15GB or 30GB (actually 45GB or 90GB) to 5GB (actually 15GB) very well could be a notable difference. With potentially millions of users, any reduction to storage quotas will result in huge cost savings. If you're spending 900 million on storage annually, then reducing storage requirements by over two thirds, and the associated costs along with it, is huge!

Either way, the service is definitely worth $2. It's pretty darn cheap considering what you get for it. MS just screwed themselves by conditioning people to think the service is worth nothing and should be free.
    BobLobIaw, Great deal and N_LaRUE like this.
    11-05-2015 09:40 PM
    I'd definitely believe that.

Without numbers it's impossible to estimate however. If you don't know how many people use OneDrive and what their average storage requirements are, then there is no way to make any claim about whether the service is cost prohibitive or not. Either way, online storage isn't a cheap service to offer.

For every GB someone uses, MS requires 3GB to store it safely, so giving us 15GB actually costs MS 45GB. Hosting that data requires that MS setup multiple, geographically separated facilities that must be maintained and staffed. Adding hundreds if not (more likely) thousands of HDD drives to the storage network every day certainly isn't cheap either. Just thinking of the electricity bills makes me weary, not to mention bandwidth costs.
    I am unsure why you speculate on the costs of cloud storage when you just criticized somebody else for doing so.

The only thing we know for sure is this, the cost of storage itself gets cheaper and cheaper every year. I can buy personally a 1TB Seagate drive that will perform far faster than cloud storage for $50 now. 6TB, $200 one time cost. MS wants $84 a year for 1 TB, which is more expensive than just buying a drive. Factor in multiple years and the external hard drive storage is the better option. Don't think Microsoft doesn't get a bulk discount for purchasing massive raid arrays for cloud service?

As the price for storage goes down, Microsoft making the service more costly per dollar is a brain dead move. Blaming the people that used a huge amount on your advertised "Unlimited" plan is even more brain dead, because it tells me Microsoft is willing to punish ME, a LIGHT user for the "crime" of using the service as advertised. What's next, higher prices for Office 365? Addition of a service fee for Windows itself? Hell if I know, but Microsoft has publicly now stated watch out, "don't depend on our services because we WILL bait and switch you for more money, even as our costs go down to implement said services". In a time when the middle class is dieing, people are struggling more and more with stagnant/shrinking wages and cost of living increases... every penny counts, and Microsoft is pricing itself out of the competition while blaming the few.
    11-06-2015 12:32 AM
    Microsoft finally makes WP/M professional. Times of nokization are gone and WM wont be for sharing pictures by stupid hipsters and it will have microSD to store data. I hope next generation of WM phones won't have useless and heavy features like oversized camera or wireless charging.
    Why do you think they are useless?
    11-06-2015 01:59 AM

Paul Thurott explicitly stated that MS' current setup just wasn't economically feasible, which is another big hint that changing from 15GB or 30GB (actually 45GB or 90GB) to 5GB (actually 15GB) very well could be a notable difference. With potentially millions of users, any reduction to storage quotas will result in huge cost savings. If you're spending 900 million on storage annually, then reducing storage requirements by over two thirds, and the associated costs along with it, is huge!

MS just screwed themselves by conditioning people to think the service is worth nothing and should be free.
    Lol. Bro, you really need to learn what Bait & Switch means.

Microsoft already calculated every single 2015 OneDrive cost back in 2013. They had NOT created a brand new service with no idea how to price it. Personal Cloud Storage already a value/price per GB. Look at Dropbox, Google Drive and Box.

They didn't "accidently" give away 15GB/30GB. They knew their offer had to be competitive to get App Downloads, Sell Surfaces and Lumias etc. They either knew they could afford this OR knew they couldn't afford it but could dupe people into becoming dependant on it before their storage 30GB (100%) down to 5GB (16%)!!!! Imagine a share you owned dropping from $1 down to 16 cents overnight!

Non of this was an accident. The rubbish about "some" people abusing OneDrive is a completely separate issue about a few breaking terms and conditions and simply cause confusion. The plan was always to get people dependant on OneDrive then charge. Bait and Switch.

I love Microsoft, but this move was pure misleading. They never made it clear that the space was temporary. Many feel fooled, only naive people still think this was unplanned.
    rkrams and Andrew Gordon like this.
    11-06-2015 02:31 AM
    Can you give a description of this? I have unlimited storage on my google student account and I feel like copying my content from onedrive to google drive
    you can use multicloud
    11-06-2015 04:07 AM
    As anoyying as it has been and after looking at the reality (which is what the financial people at MS did) it just doesnt make any sense. I agree with Paul Thurott's views that its unsustainable and also with his bafflement at the reduction of the 15gb to 5gb. The storage is not just one HDD, they have to buy multiple HDD in different geographical locations costing a silly amount of money while people are shoving all they have and just keeping it thier as a backup. MS is a service, software, device company, not a storage business. I can see them losing massive amount of money if they carried on. I am however disapointed in the manner in which this was done.

I am unsure why you speculate on the costs of cloud storage when you just criticized somebody else for doing so.

The only thing we know for sure is this, the cost of storage itself gets cheaper and cheaper every year. I can buy personally a 1TB Seagate drive that will perform far faster than cloud storage for $50 now. 6TB, $200 one time cost. MS wants $84 a year for 1 TB, which is more expensive than just buying a drive. Factor in multiple years and the external hard drive storage is the better option. Don't think Microsoft doesn't get a bulk discount for purchasing massive raid arrays for cloud service?

As the price for storage goes down, Microsoft making the service more costly per dollar is a brain dead move. Blaming the people that used a huge amount on your advertised "Unlimited" plan is even more brain dead, because it tells me Microsoft is willing to punish ME, a LIGHT user for the "crime" of using the service as advertised. What's next, higher prices for Office 365? Addition of a service fee for Windows itself? Hell if I know, but Microsoft has publicly now stated watch out, "don't depend on our services because we WILL bait and switch you for more money, even as our costs go down to implement said services". In a time when the middle class is dieing, people are struggling more and more with stagnant/shrinking wages and cost of living increases... every penny counts, and Microsoft is pricing itself out of the competition while blaming the few.
    a5cent and BobLobIaw like this.
    11-06-2015 04:21 AM
    I am unsure why you speculate on the costs of cloud storage when you just criticized somebody else for doing some.
    Did you see me mention a number or say how expensive it may be? No. You didn't. I stated explicitly that we just can't know the costs the OneDrive service incurs, nor at what point the service becomes too expensive for MS to continue in its present form. Saying we can't know isn't speculating.

What I wanted to point out is how OneDrive is utterly incomparable to the trivial act of hooking up an external HDD to your computer at home, and how ignorant it is to assume that because you can buy a low quality TB drive for $50, that the costs incurred to MS must necessarily also be "low".

Any service that requires investments on a per user basis will quickly become very expensive when the service is provided to millions of people. That is simply a fact. It's why engineers are sometimes required to spend months optimizing away the costs of a few cents for a consumer product.... when sold by the millions, those cents add up. OneDrive is no different.

Obviously I've so far failed in explaining that to you, but I hope this post corrects that.

And again, the whole point is to show that while we can't know the costs OneDrive incurs, or what MS' budget is, the idea that OneDrive could have become cost prohibitive for MS to run in its current form is not entirely unbelievable.
    Last edited by a5cent; 11-06-2015 at 06:09 AM. Reason: spelling
    11-06-2015 05:02 AM
    Lol. Bro, you really need to learn what Bait & Switch means.
    Or maybe you need to learn that a single post may not represent all of a persons views? Either way, you definitely need to learn some manners.

I'm not disagreeing with any of your points. The facts remain however, that running an online storage service for millions of people is expensive, and that nothing I stated implies that MS was unable to accurately project the service's running costs.

Any service MS provides is based on a cost/benefit analysis. That means a service can become cost prohibitive simply by the service not providing the expected benefits, even if the cost projections were 100% accurate. I suspect that is part of what happened.

That doesn't preclude some degree of bait & switch also being involved. Based on what I've heard so far, I just don't believe you are correct in assuming that b&s'ing was the only factor contributing to these policy changes.

All of these views can be held simultaneously, without them being contradictory.
    Last edited by a5cent; 11-06-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling
    BobLobIaw and Great deal like this.
    11-06-2015 05:48 AM
    The only thing we know for sure is this, the cost of storage itself gets cheaper and cheaper every year.
    No, we also know for sure that millions of people COULD upload things faster than a cloud service can add storage no matter how cheap it is to buy. It is a bad business model to pay for x times as much storage as customers use no mater how cheap it is. And Microsoft doesn't. Which means they either risk capacity problems or pay more than they need to for the storage. The closer the commitments are to actual usage, the better for all parties. The hard part is getting customers to move toward a model closer to like buying gas for your car and farther from like playing Powerball. Microsoft has demonstrated the worst possible way to take a step in that direction.
    GrayW0lf likes this.
    11-06-2015 07:24 AM
    Did you see me mention a number or say how expensive it may be? No. You didn't. I stated explicitly that we just can't know the costs the OneDrive service incurs, nor at what point the service becomes too expensive for MS to continue in its present form. Saying we can't know isn't speculating.
    Quote you
    So... no I didn't see you talk how expensive these might be, except when you are?

Claiming something isn't cheap, and even thinking of the bills "makes you weary" isn't talking about how expensive you think it might be? Then, I must ask.... what is it? From where I stand, you're talking about expenses and how high they can get to the point they make you "weary".

I'm not even discounting your points, but don't go criticizing somebody about their speculating about costs.. while you're speculating about costs.
    11-06-2015 08:18 AM
    57,000 Votes still no reply from them. Let' s suggest them to add the option to uninstall Onedrive. Because with 5 GB free storage it' s a useless app.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-06-2015 08:31 AM
    57,000 Votes still no reply from them.
    Maybe they are just running out the clock. Doesn't User Voice close up shop in the very near future?
    11-06-2015 08:47 AM
    I just put all my photos & videos on Flickr and have them auto uplaod. I don't have too many documents so 5gb should be ok for that; however, am done with Windows Phone....Also, thank you Microsoft Bing Rewards for cancelling my account for no reason and stealing my reward points.
    11-06-2015 08:55 AM
    Either way, you definitely need to learn some manners.
    I don't "need" to do anything.

But I've obviously upset your feelings, for which I will apologise. We are all likely Microsoft fans here remember.

My previous point (and maybe sarcastic but it worked) was to help many people here understand that this was purely a Financial decision. Take a look outside of our community to see how Microsoft is being criticized in all quarters. Forbes headline was "Microsoft Betrays the Unlimited Cloud Promise", The Register's headline "Microsoft price hike wrecks its cloud strategy" and The Verge posted "Microsoft is breaking its Cloud-First promise".

Anyone who is not a fanboi can clearly see this is bait and switch and if you Bing and read those articles you will see the theme bait and switch throughout. Because that is what Microsoft have done here and their silence despite these all this bad press and OneDrive trending on Twitter speaks volumes.

I'm still getting a Surface Book in January. But I won't defend them on this and can understand people feel betrayed. The storage offer was never advertised as temporary. In the UK, we are also protected from False advertising for those 365 subscribers.

The best way to convert users is to offer paid enhancements/upgrades, not to take stuff away like punishment. Satya says he wants people to love their products, is this the best way to do it? This reminds me of the Xbox One launch all over again, to which Microsoft never fully recovered from.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-06-2015 09:07 AM
    So... no I didn't see you talk how expensive these might be, except when you are?

Claiming something isn't cheap, and even thinking of the bills "makes you weary" isn't talking about how expensive you think it might be? Then, I must ask.... what is it? From where I stand, you're talking about expenses and how high they can get to the point they make you "weary".

I'm not even discounting your points, but don't go criticizing somebody about their speculating about costs.. while you're speculating about costs.
    I'm not speculating that running an online storage service for millions of people is expensive. If you think that's speculating, then it's also speculation that the sky sometimes looks blue or that red roses exist. Thinking otherwise is not speculation. It's just absurd.

Let me put it bluntly. I'm not criticizing anybody for speculating. I'm criticizing people for being wrong. The only valid argument you or anyone else can make is that the terms "expensive" or "cheap" are entirely relative. That's all.

Already in early 2013, MS noted that they had over 250 million OneDrive users.

https://blog.onedrive.com/over-250m-...sing-skydrive/

In 2014, MS had well over four million Office 365 subscribers. That was well before W10 was released, at a time when the only OS that had direct OneDrive integration (W8) was extremely unpopular. I have no idea what OneDrive's current user numbers are. It's almost two years later, and W10 has lead to a huge influx in additional OneDrive users, so no doubt the numbers will be much higher.

I don't know why it's necessary, but I'll help out with the math:

First, let's just outright ignore the millions of 365 subscribers with pseudo-unlimited storage. Lets also assume that not a single user has more than a 15GB storage quota, which we know is false. Finally, lets also assume that MS has grown its OneDrive user base, by no more than 50 million over the past two years, which is also extremely conservative. That leaves us with 300 million users with 15GB of storage (requiring 45GB to store redundantly), giving us a required storage capacity of about 13.2 million TB. Assuming a cost of $50 per TB, that gives us a cost of about 660 million dollars for storage alone... despite low balling every possible variable.

660 million is not chump change, not even for MS, and with that we've considered absolutely nothing except storage costs. We haven't yet factored in software development, staff, facilities, bandwidth, electricity, security... none of that. Let that sink in, and then also consider that according to Paul Thurott, OneDrive usage is expected to triple over the next two years!

Yeah... not expensive... right...

Let me also reiterate that I'm not saying MS can't afford this. They can. What I am saying is that these are not irrelevant expenses that MS can just ignore. Anybody asking the question "whether MS can afford this?" is pretty much clueless. The more relevant question is whether MS is getting their money's worth. Anything that costs hundreds of millions must have at least the prospect of a return. It's not very hard to imagine that MS may not be getting a return that is worthy of those expenses.

I don't know if MS is getting the expected ROI. My point is only, and has always been, that their OneDrive service not providing their money's worth, is not entirely unthinkable.
    Last edited by a5cent; 11-06-2015 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    11-06-2015 09:41 AM
    I don't "need" to do anything.

But I've obviously upset your feelings, for which I will apologise. We are all likely Microsoft fans here remember.

My previous point (and maybe sarcastic but it worked) was to help many people here understand that this was purely a Financial decision.
    Don't confuse a friendly recommendation for hurt feelings.

Let's just agree that most business decisions, including OneDrive's policy changes, are financially motivated. We can at least agree on that. As for everything else, I think you're far too sure of your greed-focused hypothesis, particularly since you have absolutely nothing to back your opinions up with.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-06-2015 09:53 AM
    Quote you

Where I won't argue completely against what you're saying I will suggest there is a difference in the two posts and why a5cent said what he said.

The other post assumes a cost based on personal assumption, totally void of any realistic numbers. The first being that data centre drives are not the same cost as a personal hard drive. That's just the physical hard drive I'm talking about. I haven't even got to the other wrong points.

Here's the thing. Data centres are not cheap. You have a lot of expenses which we are not able to cost correctly by any means because unless you're in the know (which I'm not) then you haven't a clue. But to speculate like a5cent in the right way you start to put realism into the numbers.

So let's think in real terms shall we?

- You need a building, likely to be either built for purpose or leased
    - You need a good HVAC system to maintain temperature
    - You need a maintenance staff to deal with downtime and to exchange drives
    - You need spares on hand for replacements
    - You have racks of data centre hard drives (more expensive than your portable hard drive)
    - You have racks for the drives
    - Data switches, routers, etc.
    - You have energy bills to pay

That's just one data centre. MS likely has hundreds. So looking at that think of the expense in real terms, not in some flighty idealistic term.

Yes I agree what MS is doing is total BS and should be taken to task for it. However, we all seem to think things should be cheap and free. That's where we go wrong.

I do believe that MS should do loyalty things for their customers. That was the main mistake in all this. They've really screwed their reputation over this.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 11-06-2015 at 10:18 AM.
    a5cent and Great deal like this.
    11-06-2015 09:53 AM
    Speculation on the costs/profits is just that, speculation. Presumably, Microsoft had a much better handle on the numbers than we will ever have, and they either got it completely wrong or they intended this as a bait-and-switch all along. Frankly, I remember saying this very thing when "unlimited" storage was announced. At the time I speculated that this was only to lure in Office365 customers, but I didn't imagine they were also using 15GB + 15GB Camera Roll to lure in Lumia users before they put the hammer down. Nowhere do I recall reading something like "limited time offer," that would make this somewhat more palatable. In fact, as I type this there is advertising all over the place promoting the unlimited plans and the free 15GB Camera Roll, etc. OK, change plans and pricing, but there should be some grandfathering in of old plans to keep loyal customers around. As many have said, the cloud is all about trust and this move just destroyed any trust millions of people have that the cloud will be there for them when they need and want it.
    11-06-2015 09:56 AM
    Let me put it bluntly. I'm not criticizing anybody for speculating. I'm criticizing people for being wrong. The only valid argument you or anyone else can make is that the terms "expensive" or "cheap" are entirely relative. That's all.
    *sigh* I don't think you really understand what I'm talking about, because if you did, you wouldn't have typed all that well written stuff under it. Again, I'm NOT disputing what you're saying below or above. my issue was you telling somebody who makes a probably misinformed breaking the bank comment and then you saying it's impossible to estimate without hard numbers.... and then you start throwing numbers around. Then you continued with this.

Did you see me mention a number or say how expensive it may be? No. You didn't.
    Yea well... everything you've been saying has been leaning towards the service being expensive to deploy. Heck, you just said "Yea.... not expensive.... right...." Care to drop this point?

And I don't think you've mentioned it, but somebody tried to counter my argument that storage is getting cheaper all the time. I hate to say it, but if storage wasn't getting cheaper all the time, then cloud storage wouldn't be viable at all. Instead we have all sorts of companies offering cloud storage now, offering bigger storage amounts all the time. Plus you've got a number of new technologies that look like once they hit the ground floor will revolutionize storage with crazy size.

Personally, my only problem is Microsoft clearly said they want you to put ALL YOUR STUFF on OneDrive. They even made a advertisement about it.

Just Bing or Google bw1ciTl5YK4, it's a youtube video with the add. I'd link it but I can't post links yet on WC.

It Goes! It GROWS WITH YOU! One place for all your PHOTOS! VIDEOS! DOCUMENTS!

It grows so well it.... shrinks and you get charged more... to be more PRODUCTIVE! YEA!

ahahaha right
    11-06-2015 10:20 AM
    Speculation on the costs/profits is just that, speculation. Presumably, Microsoft had a much better handle on the numbers than we will ever have, and they either got it completely wrong or they intended this as a bait-and-switch all along.
    You're right about all that, yet you're entirely missing the point. We don't have to know exact details about costs/profits. We only have to know whether the costs are negligible to MS or not. Concluding that the costs are not negligible is not speculation! Anybody with kindergarten level math skills should be able to deduce that fact. What that means is that MS requires something concrete to show in return for those investments, which opens the door to lines of reasoning other than the black/white greed/bait&switch hypothesis.

I think a lot of people here are totally misunderstanding me. I'm not rejecting the idea that baiting and switching was the plan all along. It very well may have been, at least partially. What I am opposed to is people who are so arrogant as to presume they know that's exactly how everything went down.

I was initially in the camp of those who speculated that this was most likely a bait & switch tactic. In light of all the recent reporting I've come to change my mind. I still think that may have been part of the equation, but I'm very sceptical that was the only factor involved. That's all I'm saying here, and I'm doing my best to try and back it up.

I'm still in the camp of those who think MS completely fumbled the communications aspect of all this. That's the only OneDrive related opinion I have that hasn't changed.
    11-06-2015 10:20 AM
    Unlimited storage was only ever in preview. Never released. I don't hink our conusmer protection covers us for that!
    11-06-2015 10:25 AM
    *sigh* I don't think you really understand what I'm talking about, because if you did, you wouldn't have typed all that well written stuff under it. Again, I'm NOT disputing what you're saying below or above.
    I know. You're the one who doesn't understand though. I never said I'm criticizing you or your opinions (I'm criticizing others). I realize that we agree on most issues. The only disagreement we have is that you think I'm speculating, when I'm clearly not.

I would be speculating if I'd be setting up a balance sheet of what I think OneDrive's cost structure looks like. I'm not.

There is but one single thing you need to believe for all my other points to make sense, and that is that the expenses incurred by running the OneDrive service are not negligible. Coming to that conclusion doesn't require speculation. There is enough information out there for anyone with elementary math skills to prove that to themselves. I think that's the only relevant disagreement we have.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    11-06-2015 10:29 AM
    Regardless of the costs associated with unlimited storage, using that as an excuse to drop down the storage for the free brackets for existing users and getting rid of the 15 GB camera roll bonus just feels like deception.
    11-06-2015 10:41 AM
    Regardless of the costs associated with unlimited storage, using that as an excuse to drop down the storage for the free brackets for existing users and getting rid of the 15 GB camera roll bonus just feels like deception.
    Absolutely agree. I have no issue with putting a cap on the top level plans. If you consider storing 75 TB of data to be excessive, then cap it at a more reasonable level. But Microsoft shouldn't punish the users who are being responsible with their data limit.
    11-06-2015 10:52 AM
487 ... 56789 ...