Onedrive storage down to 5GB from 15 + 15GB

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I've started using OneDrive along with my first Windows phone in 2014, at first I was pretty happy about 15Gb + Camera 15Gb Cloud FREE storage offer, also turned on auto upload of Pictures and Videos on Phone settings. 30Gb of free cloud storage was awesome, but I always suspected that this day will come eventually. About a few months ago I decided to backup all my OneDrive stuff to portable hard drive, setting imaginary limit for me in Cloud to maximum of 5GB. Turns out it was a smart decision, to have on cloud no more than 5GB of data. From 28Gb to 2.7 keeping only stuff I need on the move, or for sharing with others. I'm a bit disappointed because of this news, but as all things good it has to end someday. I guess I'll have to rely on OneDrive and Yandex.disk, which offers 10Gb and offline viewing on my Lumia.

consono

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
And with what app will you use it on WP/W10M? OneDrive is/was the best as it is integrated into the MS products... This change won't be a showstopper for me as I will still have my 1TB, but it can be painful for a lot. And it's a regression as all the providers give more and more cloud storage, not less...

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
This is not about a few users abusing the system, they could easily just ban those accounts. Also TechRadar just wrote its creepy that Microsoft have people snooping through their drives!

This is about Greed. To reduce a Lumia users phone storage from 30GB (inc Camera Roll) down to 5GB with no free photos is a disgrace. I also think in the UK those who purchased 365 subs with unlimited storage may seek legal action as we are protected as consumers over here from this bull.

This is the Worst PR disaster since Xbox One launch from which Microsoft never recovered. I do think Microsoft will do a U-turn on this before 2016, but if not I'm getting a Nexus 6P.

I no longer have loyalty to Microsoft as they don't care about existing Lumia users.

the pashmeister

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
One of the best features of OneDrive was the ability to store music on it and then stream directly from it using my Windows phone or my Surface without having to have the actual files clogging up the memory on the devices. At the moment I'm using a Lumia 1020, but my contract is up in the next few days. I was looking at upgrading to the 950 when it comes out, but I'm now seriously thinking about being one of the sheep and changing to an Iphone or even downgrading to an Android phone (yes, I consider it a downgrade. I've had Android phones in the past and find them complicated and unstable).
At the moment I have 130gb of OneDrive storage - 15gb free, 15gb camera roll and 100gb enthusiast bonus. I'm only using 16gb of this.
If this reduction in size is purely down to a few people abusing the system, then wouldn't it be just as easy to reduce the size to 50gb or so? This must just be another way of making more money for an ailing company?
I've just checked out the cost of extra storage.
Itunes charge 0.79p per month for 50gb.
OneDrive is ?1.99 per month for 100gb.
Google Drive 15gb free. $1.99 per month for extra 100gb

This makes an Iphone very tempting unless Microsoft reduces the cost of additional storage next year.

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why people are panicking when this was a free service? Its $1.99 a month for 100GBs of additional storage. In the grand scheme of things, that isn't a lot of money.

If you value your cloud music collection, I would wonder why you don't already have an XBOX Music subscription... Which when activated gives you an additional 100GB's of storage.

If you're a college student, or use office 365 in any sort of capacity you'll still get 1TB of space to use.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why people are panicking when this was a free service? Its $1.99 a month for 100GBs of additional storage. In the grand scheme of things, that isn't a lot of money.

If you value your cloud music collection, I would wonder why you don't already have an XBOX Music subscription... Which when activated gives you an additional 100GB's of storage.

If you're a college student, or use office 365 in any sort of capacity you'll still get 1TB of space to use.

The problem is for those who depended on the free storage which could have been a total of 30GB now going down to 5GB. Onedrive was ahead of other services in terms of storage offered and it made sense to backup your photos and videos to ondedrive.

But now with 5GB only for free, most new customers will look for other services. If an average photo is 2.5-5MB in size, by the time you reach 1000 photos you'll seriously be wondering where to store your photos. And for videos captured using your phone, it's another matter altogether

2USD a month is a lot especially considering that the lumia you bought was for 120USD and you already pay for cellular data.

Storing on pc or flash drives looks cheaper than storing on the cloud.

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I believe it's the time for me to give LG g3 a try...MS totally annoying these days... There is something going back in MS world daily

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Lol think about what you just wrote...

$1.99 a month NOW. But what will it be in 2017? How much space will the plan have in 2018? Look at Netflix constantly rising. Trust is the problem here. Microsoft didn't say when we signed up that the 15GB free would be pulled at a moments notice. Europe has strong rules on misleading consumers. Imagine if Facebook started charging?

I estimated based on current usage that I would have to pay around 2017, after I had filled my cloud storage and was cool with that because it seemed fair value. But this move is untrustworthy. Microsoft should never offered 15GB in the first place if they couldn't afford it. They've set the "price" as it were and now nobody sees value in 5GB. The camera roll backup was to compete with Google, now it seems they can't compete so why stick around?...

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Take this to twitter folks! A public shaming and PR nightmare is the only way Microsoft is going to budge on this.
Agree 100%. They made huge U-Turns after they messed up the Xbox One launch.

Try tweeting @SatyaNadella @OneDrive @Lumia @Windows @Panos_Panay @Surface ...all of these are the big players with the whole experience centered around OneDrive's cloud first vision so they are all impacted.

aafa

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Microsoft downgrades free OneDrive storage to 5GB, ends unlimited storage for Office 365 custome

what a stupid team. they even acknowledge that the abusers are using 14,000 times THAN the average. they know who the average are but are punishing them. stupid onedrive...

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have had enough of these companies playing games with my data and telling me what I can and cant do. 25 years ago Mercury 121 (in the UK) offered unlimited calls evenings and weekends - my uncle said it wouldnt last, I said it would, he was right. Over the last 25 years many others have inticed people with 'unlimited' and not one of them have stuck to it. MS is yet another.

Makes me angry and sad that I believed them, I trusted them, I placed faith in them as they seemed to be fighting back and pushing against Apple and Google and the governments. Iife is too short to mess around uploading down loading, looking for alternatives, uploading grrrrrrrr

Im buying a Synology NAS and creating my OWN cloud...it will be super secure, super fast, super reliable and never tell me how much I storage I can use. It also wont trawl the data and will be encrypted. Open source is the way, maybe OwnCloud.

Goodbye Onedrive RIP

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
For a company trying to build product loyalty this is a really big mistake all they have done is show me that I can't trust them. And if me a Windows phone, Windows Tablet and Windows PC user can no longer trust them , Why would someone new trust them?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786