Onedrive storage down to 5GB from 15 + 15GB

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has said from the very beginning that Windows 10 was only going to be a free upgrade for the first 12 months.

I don't recall MS ever saying that Windows was going to be 'free forever' find me that in writing from MS and I'll believe you.

They said Windows was free for the first year. That was all. I have little doubt that Windows will become a subscription service like most other software these days. It's pretty obvious in all their statements about how W10 is the 'last Windows release' and that there will be 'constant updates to the existing OS'.

They never talked about Windows 10 as a subscription service. And the 12 months of "free update" is that. For the first 12 months they're giving you the opportunity to update to Windows 10 without having to buy Windows again. Once those 12 months expire, if you want Windows 10, you'll have to buy it like you've always had.
Quite a different thing is to turn Windows 10 into a subscription service in which you have to start paying monthly/yearly to use it. They've never said they'd do that and they've more than once denied that to reporters and consumers alike.

So what I say is: if they decide to turn Windows 10 into a subscription-based OS - which would be a first and, again, a boost to every other OS - I'm out and back to Windows 7. Because I've already paid full price for Windows 7. And even for Windows 8. I could very well pay it for Windows 10 ONCE. Like always. Microsoft gave it for free, fine, I'll take it. But if you then try to charge me retroactively, I'll simply dump it. I don't pay for subscriptions of anything, period. I rather pay more and buy the software and done. Office 2013 costed me 130?? No problem. I paid it gladly. Once. And now I'll use it for as long as I please.
Windows 8 costed me 120?? No problem. I pay it. Once. And I'll use it for the time I please.
Do they want to sell me Windows 10 for 140?? No problem. I'll pay it. Once. And then expect to use it for as long as I please.
What I won't do is pay annually to run Windows on my computer on what is obviously always a bad deal because you end up paying more than you would if you paid full price upfront.

The question will be how much will it cost for the subscription. Hopefully less than Office 365. If it's a reasonable price most people won't have an issue paying for it. It will only become problematic if it's overpriced.

I personally think a Office 365 subscription is good value for what you get. With Windows they're fairly lucky to have such a large install base and a large catalogue of software so I don't see it being an issue so long as the price is reasonable.

If people are going to think things are free all the time why would companies bother making software? MS is a software company. This is what they do and how they make money. Do we really expect differently?

As for this whole OneDrive thing I'm rather thankful I switched to Android and haven't used it as much as I did when using WP. I rarely use it with my PC. Though I understand they need to make OneDrive more profitable I think they way they went about this whole thing was wrong. Great way to lose customer base and confidence in people

I mentioned elsewhere and this goes out to any company. Don't use the term 'unlimited' if you don't mean it. Advertising watchdogs should fine companies that do this if you ask me.

- To me Office 365 is not at all a good value. I don't need to install Office on 5 different devices and I don't need to update Office every year. I've used Office 2003 until I replaced it with Office 2013 (because of the OneDrive integration...oh, irony...). As for the cloud storage, as appealing as the former "unlimited" or even 1TB may be, it still doesn't justify it. For the price of 2 years of Office 365 I can get a private Cloud with thrice the storage.

- As for OneDrive, yeah, I also moved to Android but I kept using it as I kept using Microsoft services all around. Now, of course, I won't use it any more. GoogleDrive is offering me a better solution and I set up a private cloud to no longer be in the hands of economic whims. It s*cks that Microsoft is pushing me away from their services with these things but it's ultimately their loss. It's not like there are no alternatives to them on the market.

- As for Windows, most people will not be willing to pay a subscription for Windows. They never had to pay for it annually and I highly doubt they'll start now. Specially when they already had a version of Windows that they paid for.
I also don't see *why* would they have to change it. Apple doesn't charge a dime for OS X. You don't pay for any of your mobile OSs. I think all that Microsoft is doing with Windows 10 is following all the other OSs modus operandi. Operating Systems are becoming more and more a platform to sell software for. As such, the money Microsoft intends to make is not on the OS but on the software that complements it. Or even selling additional features as if they were a DLC (ever noticed the "add features to Windows" buried in the settings?

Also, people were suspicious when Microsoft announced Windows 10 for free during the 1st year. Lots of people asked them and they kept saying people wouldn't be paying for it after the 1st year. Here:

"The free upgrade is a full version of Windows (not a trial or introductory version) and is available until July 29, 2016. Once you upgrade, you?ll have Windows 10 for free on that device." in Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ - Windows Help

Once you change devices, you have to buy Windows 10 again.

"Once installed, Windows 10 is yours to enjoy for free!"
"Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3 GB download required; Internet access fees may apply. Estimated retail price of Windows 10 Home shown, actual retail prices may vary. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.
" - in Windows 10 Upgrade: How to Upgrade to Windows 10 ? Microsoft

No asterisk saying "only for one year" etc.

"This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device ? at no cost." - Terry Myerson in The next generation of Windows: Windows 10 | Windows Experience Blog

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It's a subscription, when an expiration date. You have no legal basis to take legal action. Microsoft has even said if you don't like it, they'll refund you for your unused subscription. And then you're free to find a better alternative for yourself.

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, ummm, I'm pretty sure if you actually read the fine print for that free storage, nowhere does it say Microsoft will provide it to you for free for the rest of your life.

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I have had enough of these companies playing games with my data and telling me what I can and cant do. 25 years ago Mercury 121 (in the UK) offered unlimited calls evenings and weekends - my uncle said it wouldnt last, I said it would, he was right. Over the last 25 years many others have inticed people with 'unlimited' and not one of them have stuck to it. MS is yet another.

Makes me angry and sad that I believed them, I trusted them, I placed faith in them as they seemed to be fighting back and pushing against Apple and Google and the governments. Iife is too short to mess around uploading down loading, looking for alternatives, uploading grrrrrrrr

Im buying a Synology NAS and creating my OWN cloud...it will be super secure, super fast, super reliable and never tell me how much I storage I can use. It also wont trawl the data and will be encrypted. Open source is the way, maybe OwnCloud.

Goodbye Onedrive RIP

Yep, and you get to purchase the NAS, purchase the drives to go into the NAS, maintain those drives and replace them when they go bad, make sure your RAID configuration is set properly and gives you versioning capabilities for all files, pay for the electricity to run the NAS 24/7, etc. For some, like you, that may be a viable option. For most, it's just a big pain in the ***.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yep, and you get to purchase the NAS, purchase the drives to go into the NAS, maintain those drives and replace them when they go bad, make sure your RAID configuration is set properly and gives you versioning capabilities for all files, pay for the electricity to run the NAS 24/7, etc. For some, like you, that may be a viable option. For most, it's just a big pain in the ***.

MS killed off WHS with Drive Extender to appease the business server division. See, it's always their fault!

(PS WHS v1 was/is practically magic. Kind of like a well tweaked and modded Media Center setup was. Remember Live Mesh? It was alongside early versions of Skydrive - think local network transfer capabilities. They've also mucked about with custom domains and such in Hotmail/Outlook, and generally are strong proponents of one step forward, one step back, and one grenade to the side.)

BluetoothFairy1

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Just read the blog on OneDrive. It clearly says that current customers with 200 and 100 GB plans are not affected!!!!
Quote: "Current customers of standalone OneDrive storage plans (such as a 100 or 200 GB plans) are not affected by these changes."

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, ummm, I'm pretty sure if you actually read the fine print for that free storage, nowhere does it say Microsoft will provide it to you for free for the rest of your life.

It was advertised as part of the package of my phone. There was nothing about it being subject to change. If I buy a phone with 128gb on board storage and 30 gigs cloud storage that's what was part of the deal. It's not like they can change my on board storage, just because it's cloud doesn't mean it's different. It was in my phone deal, false advertising. Even now Lumia 950XL is being sold under the memory section it says free cloud storage up to 30GB. Then it has a footnote and it in it says 15 gigs at first sign up and then 15 gigs for turning on camera upload. So this is part of the advertisement. It's part of the memory section where the physical storage is also listed.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Even now Lumia 950XL is being sold under the memory section it says free cloud storage up to 30GB. Then it has a footnote and it in it says 15 gigs at first sign up and then 15 gigs for turning on camera upload. So this is part of the advertisement. It's part of the memory section where the physical storage is also listed.

The new phones may very well come with up to 30GB of OneDrive storage for free, but maybe for the first year or two only. If it's in the footnote, yes, I see it there, MS will let a purchaser have it.

DMelan

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
!= Free forever

I was responding to a post that implied Microsoft might require a subscription to continue using Windows on a device that is in your hands today. If Microsoft were ever to do that, they would indeed be going against their own published claims. As I understood it, N_LaRUE was asking for those published claims. Microsoft has never claimed Windows will be free by any other definition, nor am I or anyone else here making such claims. I suspect you already knew that.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The new phones may very well come with up to 30GB of OneDrive storage for free, but maybe for the first year or two only. If it's in the footnote, yes, I see it there, MS will let a purchaser have it.
Yes but it's under memory and not additional services which means they can't decrease it as it's part of the units storage and said customer is buying it with that much storage.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
So what about all those promo's they gave out? I've never paid for any Onedrive storage and I have 230GB. They going to cut me clean?

I have alot of pr0n to move if so... Lol.

Posted via the Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/Lumia 2520

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
you can use an online cloud file transfer service. most are free.and it moves your files from onedrive to another provider.

Can you give a description of this? I have unlimited storage on my google student account and I feel like copying my content from onedrive to google drive

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I think you cant look at OneDrive in isolation.

Firstly consider the mantra. One drive to store all your important stuff.

Secondly think about the devices released in the last 2 years. Low end Lumias will little storage and tablets with 32gb. Even the Windows SSD ultrabooks have had just 128gb of storage. However this was alright because Microsoft would provide cloud storage for Windows users to add value to these devices. Think about the 'mobile first, cloud first' direction.

If you integrate your environment to default to the cloud and make people depend on it then this looks like a 'bait and switch' scam.
You nailed it. It's exactly this who makes me sad.
And it's not about money, if there is a good service, one has to pay for it.

But it's the blatant "all are treated the same way", whether they bought a 1000$ Surface / 400$ Lumia or are running Linux with Open Office and an Android handset.
All these people are eventually getting 5 GB free storage.

How difficult is this to understand in such a company? Why are they treating their Hardware customers exactly the same as people on other platforms who maybe never paid a penny for MS products?

And why, for example, an Office Professional 2013 customer get's treated the same as a Open Office user?

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
To me the worst part of this whole affair is reverting my friends and family PC's and phones from OneDrive to other alternatives. I have to tell them to go back to GoogleDrive, ICloud, etc.; to turn off camera auto-upload; to change back to default storage on PC's and laptops. Because of that I won't recommend another MSFT product, too unreliable, inconsistent and a bit of schizophrenic. I have lots of work to do, guiding people out of this...OneThirdDrive.

the pashmeister

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Just out of interest and hopefully this will help the people that use Onedrive primarily for photo storage, Flickr gives you 1Tb of free storage of photos and videos. I've had a Flickr account for ages and never used it. I'll be transferring all my photos from Onedrive to Flickr. There's also an app (Flickr Central) for Windows phones that allows you to auto upload your camera roll to Flickr.
I'll just have to reduce the music I hold on my Onedrive to a lower amount now.

iwicked

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Try this. I used it to transfer all my files from OneDrive to GoogleDrive. Its free and works great.

*multcloud*

Sorry I can't post links. Just add "www" and ".com" with the above word.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea