Onedrive storage down to 5GB from 15 + 15GB

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I've actually seen Office 365 Personal for as low as $20 on eBay. Not sure if they are legit.
FWIW lots of hardware came with a 1 year license for Office 365 personal. Acer tablets, for example or Lumia 640s sold in the US up 'till a certain date. So there will be people who have them but no use or even people who do use Office 365 but didn't understand the license would be good after their current subscription ran out, or would rather just have a few bucks now.

Tirinti

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft finally makes WP/M professional. Times of nokization are gone and WM wont be for sharing pictures by stupid hipsters and it will have microSD to store data. I hope next generation of WM phones won't have useless and heavy features like oversized camera or wireless charging.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
What about Office Professional 2016?
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ice.com%2Fen-us%2Fprofessional&token=-PNSf66q

It costs 400 $.
It advertises
View attachment 115787

and says that
View attachment 115790
View attachment 115788

1. Pretty sure this will go down to 5 GB.....
2. So a customer paying $400 gets the same amount as the guy running Linux and Open Office?? :confused::confused:

MS is a pretty big company and there might be some communication hickups, but there are things they should really avoid if they care about customers....

I find this really concerning. Other Microsoft products in their own marketing materials (Office 2016, Lumia phones) are continuing to list the 15GB OneDrive base storage as being part of their features, and I know the phones are still listing the extra 15 GB when backing up the camera roll. There's no mention that this is a limited time offer, or that they're planning on scaling this back in the near future. So given that OneDrive is part of the Microsoft ecosystem, being used by other Microsoft products, did the OneDrive group coordinate this change with the other groups or did they just decide to do this unilaterally? Because right now different groups at Microsoft are telling their customers different things. That's management dropping the ball big time. Either the other groups or the OneDrive team need to get with the program and tell a consistent story.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've actually seen Office 365 Personal for as low as $20 on eBay. Not sure if they are legit.

Yes they're legit, as in they're the genuine product. You are, however, taking a bit of a risk that they're already used. I bought 2 years' worth of Office 365 Home Premium on eBay, one for $50 another for $54, about half the retail price.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft finally makes WP/M professional. Times of nokization are gone and WM wont be for sharing pictures by stupid hipsters and it will have microSD to store data. I hope next generation of WM phones won't have useless and heavy features like oversized camera or wireless charging.

The 950s have stellar cameras and wireless charging, SD storage and liquid cooling, IR hardware for Windows Hello nighttime access, while weighing about 150, 160 grams. I pity the limp wristed who can't handle such featherweight unicorn devices.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The 950s have stellar cameras and wireless charging

and the 950's are some of the only smartphones that will have both Quick and wireless charging, something most recently released Android phones have chosen not to do (except the Priv and Droid Turbo 2).

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
To all those trying to justify the 15 GB + 15 GB cut to 5 GB by saying it's a free service and as such we aren't entitled to anything, this is a half truth at best.

The unified OneDrive service across all Windows devices is a major feature of the platform, and was advertised as such.
Many of us choose Windows devices in part because of the OneDrive service.
We may not be paying directly for OneDrive, but when we choose Windows devices, we are.

Change that cloud service radically, like the current OneDrive 85% reduction in service, and it changes what we bought into when we bought our Windows devices. It affects the appeal of the entire platform.

No, we may not be entitled to any amount of free storage on OneDrive, but when we're lured to the platform in part because of this feature and Microsoft does a switch and bait like this, we have every right to be pissed off. It's deceptive marketing.

You can't sell me a device touting a 15 + 15 GB of OneDrive space and then just axe that to 5 GB.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
To all those trying to justify the 15 GB + 15 GB cut to 5 GB by saying it's a free service and as such we aren't entitled to anything, this is a half truth at best.

The unified OneDrive service across all Windows devices is a major feature of the platform, and was advertised as such.
Many of us choose Windows devices in part because of the OneDrive service.
We may not be paying directly for OneDrive, but when we choose Windows devices, we are.
I am completely sympathetic with being upset about higher prices. BUT what about the people who bought a gas guzzler when gas was cheap (or even free like when GM was giving out $500 gas cards when you bought some models in Canada)? Are they entitled to keep getting gas at the old prices? MS is at least giving more heads up than the gas stations.

I'm way more upset about the attempts to blame the price increases on a few abusers. Lying to me will reduce the business I do with a company much more than reasonable price changes.

LiquidLearner

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Clearly the abusers are abusing the free Unlimited storage options... So how about you just remove those, roll subs back to 1 TB and leave the free people alone? Cloud storage on this scale is so inexpensive I doubt this has anything to do with greed or being unable to afford it as others have suggested. I honestly can't think of any good reasons to do it. I don't even mind $2/month per 100GB extra.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Clearly the abusers are abusing the free Unlimited storage options... So how about you just remove those
You are falling for the diversion. MS threw the so called abusers out as a red herring. If they never existed the changes would still happen and at the same time. Some ***** thought customers would focus on the "abusers" and every ounce of focus on them is an ounce less on what Microsoft did. They massively miscalculated.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I am completely sympathetic with being upset about higher prices. BUT what about the people who bought a gas guzzler when gas was cheap (or even free like when GM was giving out $500 gas cards when you bought some models in Canada)? Are they entitled to keep getting gas at the old prices? MS is at least giving more heads up than the gas stations.

I'm way more upset about the attempts to blame the price increases on a few abusers. Lying to me will reduce the business I do with a company much more than reasonable price changes.

The people selling gas guzzlers aren't the people also selling the gas.
This would be more like cars using a special fuel only available from the car manufacturer, and that car manufacturer suddenly turning around and doubling the price of said fuel after having advertised it at a given price.

I agree that using the lame excuse that a few users are abusing the unlimited storage is clearly no justification for what they are doing.
Frankly, I don't care that much about the excuse they are using, I am more concerned with what they are actually doing.

LiquidLearner

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You are falling for the diversion. MS threw the so called abusers out as a red herring. If they never existed the changes would still happen and at the same time. Some ***** thought customers would focus on the "abusers" and every ounce of focus on them is an ounce less on what Microsoft did. They massively miscalculated.

Who said I was falling for anything? I was saying if there are abusers, and we can assume there are as I know people who would do this, then that is an easy problem to solve without impacting anyone else. They could have easily removed the unlimited option. They didn't. I still have my 1TB as part of O365 and 30 GB wouldn't have been enough anyway. But I would be annoyed if I had to pay or look for an alternate solution when I had 30GB free already.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Who said I was falling for anything? I was saying if there are abusers, and we can assume there are as I know people who would do this, then that is an easy problem to solve without impacting anyone else. They could have easily removed the unlimited option. They didn't. I still have my 1TB as part of O365 and 30 GB wouldn't have been enough anyway. But I would be annoyed if I had to pay or look for an alternate solution when I had 30GB free already.
Its a red herring. Microsoft could care less about the so called abusers. If they never existed, Microsoft would still have done the same thing. The abusers are a red herring, a diversion by Microsoft. So yes, if you are spending time talking about them as if they have any impact on what happened, then you are doing exactly what MS thought they could trick you into doing: spinning your wheels.

ceraf

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Guess i'll have to move stuff over to my school Office 365 account....or just pony up the $2/month, which for me isn't a big deal.

I'll be hard for me to recommend Onedrive now, though. The big incentive was the 15GB free + 15GB camera roll as a means for backing up photos at high-res, which was better than Google Drive at one point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon