Onedrive storage down to 5GB from 15 + 15GB

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Offering something for free, then taking it away. Not a good way to build loyalty.
Stupid move MS. Storage is cheap. Can I expect you to renege on other services? Outlook mail - limit me to 3 emails a day? Start charging me for Windows 10 after letting me upgrade for free? Pop up ads on Edge?

It shows in competence.

They could have grandfathered all existing accounts, and going forward limit new accounts. Why not offer that?
If I have to pay for storage - my money is going to go to Google. Because I now trust them more.
MS - bad move.

We tried to kill this myth about 'storage is cheap' nonsense back a few pages. So let me try again.

Storage may be cheap for you as a individual but data centres are not cheap. The data centre drives are about 2-3 times more expensive than your portable drive. Then there's the data centre itself, which means building, HVAC, maintenance and all associated equipment for a data centre. Then there's typical bills to go with all that.

I'm not forgiving MS for this blunder but I'm just pointing out that things are not as 'cheap' as you make it out.

If you want a cheap cloud drive with 1-4TB of storage for home then buy one. That's what I did. Honestly, my cloud drive is about the same speed as OneDrive.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
We tried to kill this myth about 'storage is cheap' nonsense back a few pages. So let me try again.

Storage may be cheap for you as a individual but data centres are not cheap. The data centre drives are about 2-3 times more expensive than your portable drive. Then there's the data centre itself, which means building, HVAC, maintenance and all associated equipment for a data centre. Then there's typical bills to go with all that.

I'm not forgiving MS for this blunder but I'm just pointing out that things are not as 'cheap' as you make it out.

If you want a cheap cloud drive with 1-4TB of storage for home then buy one. That's what I did. Honestly, my cloud drive is about the same speed as OneDrive.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Vengence for playing loud music at 2am :p might tap into thier power grid lol
The cost of running just one rack of drives alone (one rack of drives would be expensive!) would require some serious HVAC and power. I hope you're neighbours don't mind the noise. :p

Nesdam1981

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I got 40GB for free. 15 + 15 for camera + 10 loyalty... So much for for loyalty M$. I'm literally done with MS. Sold all my Windows tech yesterday (tablet and phone). Cleaned out my OneDrive today. Installing Linux as main OS later today and only using Windows for gaming.

Nesdam1981

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Still no reason to stab already long time users in the back. Even Netflix with their constant price raises are leaving existing users with the plan they had when registering their account. I would have bought this if it was for new users or the subscription plans. But when you let it go out on user who have Earned the bonuses where one bonus is LOYALTY bonus, then you are out on deep water.
M$ have used up their trust and I dearly hope people will leave OneDrive and choose another cloud storage even if they have to subscribe. This needs to make M$ figure twice about how they treat their users.

Christian Dahl

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree that this move by MS is not the most popular one. For some users it's annoying and maybe MS should have added a few more "existing users will not be affected" to their move.
But the funny part is to see all the people who react with a "F*** MS and everything they have ever made!", "I'm leaving Windows and going over to Apple/Google/Linux/whatever"...
It is just online storage! Relax... You had it for free for so long and now you have to pay a little bit to keep the storage. Not a dealbreaker for me! Count yourself lucky that you at least had the storage for free for so long.
Yeah yeah "but what about the trust issues?? Can we ever trust Microsoft again??"... Dudes come on. Grow up and stop stomping the floor like a little child. You act like a little child that was lucky enough to get a free icecream every day, but then one day you have to pay a little bit for the icecream.
If your "trust/dont trust" lives or dies with an issue this small, then I say you are the one with a serious trust issue and not Microsoft.
Every company on the earth makes mistakes make changes to their product lineup that is not the most popular ones. I know that this is not the last time for Microsoft or any of the other big companies like MS. I don't care about this one little hiccup. So what... I will survive. I'm not using MS products because of it's online storage. That's just a little part of it. MS is about more than online storage.
So these people will be changing between Microsoft, Apple and Google each time one of the companies does something unpopular :) When Google make changes to their Google Drive (which they will at some point in the future..) then we will hear the same people say "F*** Google! I'm going back to Microsoft!" So I guess we will see them back with Microsoft in a year or two, when they have been around the block.

Mendzapp

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
So apparently people were storing up to 75tb of data on OneDrive. I really have to salute their patience - the upload and downloads speeds I get are absolutely miniscule for OneDrive - certainly not fast enough for storing a media library and streaming or downloading when you want to watch.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Vote on my poll for more pressure.

I get the issue with the so called 'earned storage' but it would have been nice to at least keep the 15GB for those with a smartphone and most people wouldn't have complained.

Also you didn't provide a link to your poll....

You know, I wonder if Apple did something similar (you know the 'richest' IT company on the planet yet people keep using M$ like they got bottomless pit of money) if there would be this level of abuse...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So apparently people were storing up to 75tb of data on OneDrive. I really have to salute their patience - the upload and downloads speeds I get are absolutely miniscule for OneDrive - certainly not fast enough for storing a media library and streaming or downloading when you want to watch.

I have to agree there. Like I mentioned a couple of posts back my NAS which is a cloud drive is about the same speed as OneDrive. Some uploads to OneDrive that weren't even that big were painful. I don't know how anyone could store that level data on there. Just connecting to OneDrive is slow sometimes and that's via WiFi.

Mendzapp

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, absolutely crazy. If I had backed up my whole computer to OneDrive and had to download it all I would go absolutely mad. I wonder if Micrsoft were trying to limit the bandwidth these users received?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yea, absolutely crazy. If I had backed up my whole computer to OneDrive and had to download it all I would go absolutely mad. I wonder if Micrsoft were trying to limit the bandwidth these users received?

Yes, they severely throttled bandwidth. Apparently OneDrive back-uppers are a very patient bunch of people.

Last edited:

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft just doesn't seem to think before they do things these days.
This One drive storage reduction reminds me of when they decided everyone must have a Kinect and games should be download only on the xbox one. We saw how well that worked out...

Talk about shooting themselves in the foot.

I've had onedrive for years, i'm a minimal user and I have about 4.5 GB's on there.
So I have to assume any moderate user will go over the 5gb, considering i'm almost there.

People generally speaking don't pay for storage, so when this goes into effect (if it really makes it that far without them coming to their senses), their 83% cut is going to result in about 83% less users.

I'm certainly not going to pay, part of the reason I support windows phone is onedrive. Taking it away is just one more reason to switch to another OS.

Way to start the negative publicity train right before you release a new phone Microsoft....

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they severely throttled bandwidth. Apparently OneDrive back-uppers are a very patient bunch of people.
That's another issue with OneDrive. When it was free we could put up with a bad product, that has been downgraded recently in terms of performance. However, if you have to pay for it you will search around for the best service. At $7 per month (with OneDrive) you are paying at least $84 per year, so many can easily purchase a 1TB hard drive, or purchase storage on another cloud that works better.

In the last few days I ran a few experiments with my Google Drive and Google Photos storage just to compare and see how things were working there, and everything works much smoother and faster than on OneDrive. There are some usual Google quirks, but in terms of ease of use and speed it is superior to OneDrive, at least in my limited testing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99