Onedrive storage down to 5GB from 15 + 15GB

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I am writing not because I am in favor and support this drastic decision to go from 30 GB to 5 GB, but in the world of business this is by definition penetration pricing.

You mean like when phone carriers give you the phone for free for signing up to a contract? You mean penetration pricing like that?

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
So this guys sold us the 930 with 32gb of non expandable storage and told us we had onedrive to cover the deficit, they now do this. 5GB to backup a phone that shoots and uploads 19MP DNG photos and 4k video is like having a 128mb ipod in 2015: USELESS.

So if 5GB is useless, then even 15GB is only marginally less useless. And those pictures you're talking about, even Google doesn't let you store them for free. Anything over 4MP is considered high resolution and isn't counted in the free part of your photo storage for Google Drive. If you run over the 15GB, then Google auto downsizes your photo to 4MP or less. If you want to actually store those photos, well, you'll have to pay a lot more than what Microsoft charges you.

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Windows 10 is free so that they can get the people using Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 to switch...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Yes, because the cost of maintaining a 14 year old operating system (XP) is incredibly expensive. And having hundreds of millions of people all running various versions of an OS (because a lot of people never apply updates and security patches, etc.), gets incredibly expensive to support. So Microsoft is trying to stop the madness and get a more unified user base.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
That's an interesting observation. Considering the issue is one of "trust" for a lot of people here, it seems that MS would have been fine had they just given people 5GB free from the outset like Apple. In that light, people are basically saying they got screwed because MS gave them excessive free storage and then took it away.

Very nicely said.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
You mean like when phone carriers give you the phone for free for signing up to a contract? You mean penetration pricing like that?
Try google or Bing. The idea is to charge a low price for a new product or service to grow the user base and once you have a user base you begin to charge prices not much different from your competitors. So you could think the initial price as being free, and now we have to pay for those GBs above 5.

BlueSky2008

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I've started using OneDrive along with my first Windows phone in 2014, at first I was pretty happy about 15Gb + Camera 15Gb Cloud FREE storage offer, also turned on auto upload of Pictures and Videos on Phone settings. 30Gb of free cloud storage was awesome, but I always suspected that this day will come eventually. About a few months ago I decided to backup all my OneDrive stuff to portable hard drive, setting imaginary limit for me in Cloud to maximum of 5GB. Turns out it was a smart decision, to have on cloud no more than 5GB of data. From 28Gb to 2.7 keeping only stuff I need on the move, or for sharing with others. I'm a bit disappointed because of this news, but as all things good it has to end someday. I guess I'll have to rely on OneDrive and Yandex.disk, which offers 10Gb and offline viewing on my Lumia.

You can upload picture to Flickr via Flickr Central.
Thanks Microsoft's changes because this change will help me move to Android world. I will use BB Priv or Droid Turbo 2

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That's unrelated to the point of my comment, but I don't see that it's any different than the way most other companies handle "free" stuff. Netflix and any music service I can think of come to mind. It seems you are just looking for criticism at this point without providing any market context.

Netflix ddidn'tget me to purchase hardware with limited storage saying that 15gb+15gb camera roll would be more than enough to compensate... then take it away after receiving my money only to claim that they have a new deal for me to take more of my money later.

...especially when I already have Office.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
So who's gonna pay for the development of W10?

I'm pretty sure it will be big business that pays part of the bill. Remember that Enterprise editions of pre Windows 10 do not get to update for free. And with so many locked into the standards of the Microsoft ecosystem options will be limited. Yes Linux OS is free but the deployment of it on a large scale is expensive considering factors such as training employees how to use it. Since many home computers and tablets will be pushed a free upgrade to 10, this means users will have to adapt.

adamjoshuhill

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft effectively instituted a price increase, like every other company on the planet that sells things. Are you saying that anytime a maker/seller of goods and services raises prices they are acting in bad faith? If so, please give back every pay raise you've ever received because you're acting in bad faith as an employee. Or do these rules not apply to you because you're special?

Microsoft didn't raise the price (for the free tier) it was and always be a **** move

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft effectively instituted a price increase, like every other company on the planet that sells things. Are you saying that anytime a maker/seller of goods and services raises prices they are acting in bad faith? If so, please give back every pay raise you've ever received because you're acting in bad faith as an employee. Or do these rules not apply to you because you're special?
I would pay $0.99 for 30 but not 1.99 for 50 with no option for a 100 or 200... and I don't like apples or oranges.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I cant see MS charging for Windows 10 - not for the next 3 years at least. How would they support pricing in India compared to the UK for example. W10 will allow them to make money from other avenues.
Then can we later expect them to limit its usage?

Maybe we can only use it 4 hrs a day. They can blame it on the people who "excessively" leave their computers online 24 hrs a day.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
So if 5GB is useless, then even 15GB is only marginally less useless. And those pictures you're talking about, even Google doesn't let you store them for free. Anything over 4MP is considered high resolution and isn't counted in the free part of your photo storage for Google Drive. If you run over the 15GB, then Google auto downsizes your photo to 4MP or less. If you want to actually store those photos, well, you'll have to pay a lot more than what Microsoft charges you.

you should at least READ instead of posting lies.
From 2016 MS will charge 1.99 for 50GB where Google has 1.99 for 100GB: see for yourself: HERE
Apple has 0.99 for 50GB, dropbox also is cheaper than MS will be in 2016.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
you should at least READ instead of posting lies.
From 2016 MS will charge 1.99 for 50GB where Google has 1.99 for 100GB: see for yourself: HERE
Apple has 0.99 for 50GB, dropbox also is cheaper than MS will be in 2016.
You forgot to point out that it's 16MP for photos upload until they're considered hi-res on Google as well.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Netflix ddidn'tget me to purchase hardware with limited storage saying that 15gb+15gb camera roll would be more than enough to compensate... then take it away after receiving my money only to claim that they have a new deal for me to take more of my money later.

...especially when I already have Office.

Why the frolic and detour? You're just complaining about everything under the sun, and when you get a response on one variant you just switch to another topic. You're really not evoking much sympathy when you just go over the top about everything. Oh, no, they require a MS account with a credit card number in order to give you the free 1TB of storage for a year? The horror, how could they treat a customer so badly.

Just out of curiosity, which hardware with limited storage did you buy? At what point would it be proper for MS to rework their free storage allocations, or are you suggesting you had a lifetime guarantee because you bought that limited storage hardware?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
But we as the customers shouldn't/don't care how hard it is to provide that service, it's not our problem. When Verizon delays an update to your phone because they have to take time and effort to make sure the update won't screw up your phone does anyone care? Verizon still has to pay someone to look through the code and test it on all their phones (and sometimes come to to the conclusion that the effort isn't worth it to keep updating the phone) but does anyone sympathise with them? No

If well all knew that the unlimited offer was unrealistic then how could Microsoft with all their highly paid experts not realise it to?

If a company cannot support a product, then don't sell that product

Who said anything about sympathy? Did I say that I was sympathising anywhere? I was just pointing out that this idea that storage is cheap is fundamentally flawed. That is all. It shouldn't be used as an excuse for loads of free storage.

MS deserves the lambasting it's getting for selling OneDrive as they did to users. I think 15GB should be the minimum for any user with a MS device, especially a Windows Phone/mobile.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Why the frolic and detour? You're just complaining about everything under the sun, and when you get a response on one variant you just switch to another topic. You're really not evoking much sympathy when you just go over the top about everything. Oh, no, they require a MS account with a credit card number in order to give you the free 1TB of storage for a year? The horror, how could they treat a customer so badly.

Just out of curiosity, which hardware with limited storage did you buy? At what point would it be proper for MS to rework their free storage allocations, or are you suggesting you had a lifetime guarantee because you bought that limited storage hardware?

I believe that MS should not have made these changes for current customers. It's bad customer service.

Their reasoning is a transparent lie because there camera roll bonus has absolutely nothing to do with people "abusing" the "unlimited" plan. Though how you can "abuse" something that is "unlimited" is questionable.

Why does it matter to you what I, a long time customer, complain about?

I have valid complaints. Why do you feel that I, or others, it's you some justification?

Do you have some sort of solution that would make customers happy? Because your insistence that customers must just out up with it the way you do does nothing towards a solution. However customers complaining does, because it let's MS know how unhappy we are with their decision.

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I think the most annoying thing in this whole story is the fact that Microsoft is treating customers and users the same way.

A long time user of free OneDrive services, which did not pay any penny for Microsoft Hard- or Software in the say last 5 years, in my eyes, is NOT a customer, and even less a loyal customer.

Yet Microsoft does cut the OneDrive storage for ALL down to the same amount.

This is, in my eyes, highly questionable from a customer orientation standpoint. How does a customer, who spent from 100's to even 1'000's of ? for MS products feel when they see this?

It sure would not be difficult to tie free OneDrive space for a future Lumia 950 customer to the MS account the device is registered with, just as an example. And I'm sure with Windows 10 there would be a way, even if 10 accounts are on the same (Surface) machine.
They could nicely scale, from lowest allocation if one runs Windows to the higher ones if one bought a Surface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte