Onedrive storage down to 5GB from 15 + 15GB

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah yeah "but what about the trust issues?? Can we ever trust Microsoft again??"... Dudes come on. Grow up and stop stomping the floor like a little child. You act like a little child that was lucky enough to get a free icecream every day, but then one day you have to pay a little bit for the icecream.
If your "trust/dont trust" lives or dies with an issue this small, then I say you are the one with a serious trust issue and not Microsoft.

It's not just TRUST, it's MSFT flat out turning their back on the WP community. Over the last year or so they have, time and time again, torn down every single thing that those of us in this small but vocal community could point to and say to others - "THIS is why you should consider Windows Phone".

• Office Lens - Exclusive to Windows Phone! annnd also Androiod and IOS
  • Cortana - Exclusive to Windows Phone! annnnd Android and IOS
  • Want to get the first crack at Sway? Better have an IPhone!
  • Bonus 1drive storage for photo backup on Windows Phone platform? Gotta stop that ASAP before someone else decides to try the WP platform!
  • Want the first crack at the new touch-centric versions of Office Apps? Better have an IPhone or IPad!

I am using the analogy of the "Fun Farewell Party"; My wife & I love to go on Carnival Cruises. Back when we started in 2007, they had this thing called "The Captain's Party" - you could meet the captain and officers, mingle with other guests and they had complimentary drinks and snacks. Then, in one of Carnival's many rounds of cost-cutting, they switched it to drinks being $1 off at the Captain's Party, but they added this new thing called the "Fun Farewell Party" on the last sea day. They then proceeded to bury the listing for it in a tiny 6-type font in the daily Fun Times, never mention it during announcements, etc. On a ship of 2000+ guests, maybe 100 people or so would show up because Carnival practically acted like it didn't exist!

A year or two ago, they ended the "Fun Farewell Party" DUE TO A LACK OF PARTICIPATION. When Microsoft finally pulls the plug on mobile, they will cite a lack of support from US as the main reason without ever admitting that they made decision after decision to CREATE that lack of support in the first place!!

It's like death by a thousand paper cuts as opposed to something quick and clean. It's just feels deceptive and shady, to me at least - your mileage may vary.

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I would pay $0.99 for 30 but not 1.99 for 50 with no option for a 100 or 200... and I don't like apples or oranges.

I had the 15 + 15 and was paying for 100 on top of it, and now I have no OneDrive and am paying for ICloud. #MissionAccomplishedMicrosoft

Deidalos

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
It`s as if Microsoft doesn`t even care about itself anymore and is doing everything possible to make us buy iPhones and Androids instead of Lumias. What the hell is happening there? I got through the lack of apps on WP, i got through the lack of OS features, i got through every thing that MS did and i disliked and I said to myself that I love my L625 no matter what because Microsoft is a great company. But I see that they continue to intentionatelly make us hate them and if they`ll do this to OneDrive I swear I`m gonna throw my WP and all the credibility and respect for Microsoft will go away. I`ve waited for more than 2 years, hoping that WP and Microsoft will evolve and grow, but nothing happened. People are making every second a new iPhone app, and we, WP users, are stuck in this lack of apps and features for more than 2 years. And now THIS? Gonna be the last drop, MS....

chris_gt

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Sorry jmagwp, but google is free, they didn't sell me a phone for 500 bux advertising it as 32gb storage + 15gb onedrive. That's what I call deceiving customers. Want to compare even more? even the asus laptop I bought a month ago comes with 10gb storage, twice as much.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I believe that MS should not have made these changes for current customers. It's bad customer service.

Their reasoning is a transparent lie because there camera roll bonus has absolutely nothing to do with people "abusing" the "unlimited" plan. Though how you can "abuse" something that is "unlimited" is questionable.

Why does it matter to you what I, a long time customer, complain about?

I have valid complaints. Why do you feel that I, or others, it's you some justification?

Do you have some sort of solution that would make customers happy? Because your insistence that customers must just out up with it the way you do does nothing towards a solution. However customers complaining does, because it let's MS know how unhappy we are with their decision.

Well, it is a comment board where justification of one's position is regularly discussed. I'd also note that you engaged me by responding to my comment. I'm just pointing out your methodology, because there's complaints and then there's reasonable complaints and the two are quite different. I do notice that you didn't answer my questions. Did you expect MS to give you 30GB of cloud storage forever? I think that is an unreasonable expectation on the part of you and others. I also suspect that you will have had the promised storage for the useful life of the limited storage hardware you referenced, so I don't really see how you've been harmed.

cha0sman

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Did you expect MS to give you 30GB of cloud storage forever? I think that is an unreasonable expectation on the part of you and others. I also suspect that you will have had the promised storage for the useful life of the limited storage hardware you referenced, so I don't really see how you've been harmed.

I know you are asking another user the question but...

Why would you consider that unreasonable? Have you looked at the product specs? the 920 clearly states 7 GB of SkyDrive storage( which was renamed to OneDrive). the 640 clearly states 30 GB. Now, as with anything, if you aren't going to offer something perpetually, you are legally required to qualify that with something like "one year of " or what have you. The lack of that language, implies perpetual. The fact of the matter is, the hardware was sold with the understanding that the OneDrive storage would be perpetual. Perpetual means the lifetime of the cloud storage service,or it's successor storage service.

Therefore, offering a trial service of something in place of something that was perpetual is not a replacement.

Last edited:

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Why would you consider that unreasonable? Have you looked at the product specs? the 920 clearly states 7 GB of SkyDrive storage( which was renamed to OneDrive). the 640 clearly states 30 GB. Now, as with anything, if you aren't going to offer something perpetually, you are legally required to qualify that with something like "one year of " or what have you. The lack of that language, implies perpetual. The fact of the matter is, the hardware was sold with the understanding that the OneDrive storage would be perpetual. Perpetual means the lifetime of the cloud storage service,or it's successor storage service.

Therefore, offering a trial service of something in place of something that was perpetual is not a replacement.
Exactly, those 30 GB of OneDrive and a one-year free Office 365 subscription were one of the major reasons i bought my 640. Later it turned out that Office 'is not supported in my country' (i'm in Europe, wtf?), even though they still advertised it as a great add-on to your pgone, and few days ago i find out that i'm also loosing my cloud storage. Now what should i think about you Microsoft? How am i supposed to continou investing in your ecosystem? Shame.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Did you expect MS to give you 30GB of cloud storage forever? I think that is an unreasonable expectation on the part of you and others.

Why would you consider that unreasonable? Have you looked at the product specs?
I think you may not be understanding the part that's not reasonable. 30GB is reasonable. Its the free forever part that is not reasonable. The storage costs MS money. They are in business to make money, so it is unreasonable for a company to spend money on something that doesn't result in an equal or larger return, directly or indirectly. The money MS makes off a Lumia 640 (for example) that AT&T sold for $79 and INCLUDED a year of Office 365 (priced at $69) divided by forever equals.... well, you get the idea. If someone expected it to be free forever, they didn't think it thru.

Nothing wrong with MS charging for the storage they provided for "free" for awhile. I think they may have mispriced the storage going forward, and they definitely didn't do a good job making sure their customers understood what was going to happen down the road, and they should be shot for making up a BS story blaming a handful of abusers for something they were planning to do before a single byte of storage was given away. So plenty to be upset about. But I don't think the actual act of charging for OneDrive storage is one of them.

ostseeratte SN

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
"Windows 10 umfasst bis zu 30 GB kostenlosen Cloud-Speicher in OneDrive. So kannst du alle deine wichtigen Daten zentral speichern und unterwegs darauf zugreifen. Das ist besonders n?tzlich, wenn du beispielsweise Word-Dokumente auf dem Lumia bearbeiten oder deine mit dem Tablet aufgenommenen Fotos zeigen m?chtest. Auch alle Apps sind mit OneDrive verbunden, um deine Daten zu sichern und auf deinen Windows 10-Ger?ten zu synchronisieren."
This is the advertisement from today for the new Lumia 550......it means "Windows 10 includes free cloud storage in OneDrive up to 30 GB. So, you can centrally store all your important data and access them on the go."....and for the Lumia 950XL "32 GB interner Speicher und bis zu 30 GB kostenloser Cloud-Speicher auf OneDrive geben den Usern gr??te Speicherkapazit?t. "......"32 GB intern and up to 30 GB in OneDrive"......
This is an honest offer?... you would trust someone with the knowledge of now?

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
You guys can talk all you want about what's right, wrong, or what some think or don't think Microsoft owes us.

But the bottom line is this, Windows phone is struggling to gain market share. Taking the storage away from the low number of loyal users they do have is just bad business.

I don't buy into the crap about them doing it to thwart the abusers.
They are punishing the little guy, they had to have known nobody was really going to believe that.

Just do away with the unlimited plan and let regular people have the 15+15 they already had.

No need to compare to icloud and google drive to onedrive, they are thriving ecosystems, they don't need to offer people more, users aren't going to leave them over cloud storage.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

HoosierDaddy summed it up nicely and I agree with his comment. It's the "forever" part that makes no sense and I would submit that having that expectation as a consumer is unreasonable. First, devices don't last forever. My L920 is now three years old and I had to mothball it due to a cracked screen and a battery that won't hold a charge. Nevertheless, it was an awesome device but I would never conclude that it entitled me to 7GB of cloud storage FOREVER. The 640 is a better example for your point. I have a 640 as well, and as it stands, I am only getting the advertised free storage for about a year and a half of its life. Have I been harmed? Sure, a little bit, and I would hope MS reacts in a way that takes care of that situation.

As to the legality of the whole thing, that's covered in the terms and conditions. I just think that in addition to that, common sense should reign. What if MS were to scrap OneCloud? Do you expect that OneCloud will exist in its present form forever? Tech redefines the notion of rapid change, and nothing is guaranteed forever. Did you think Zune Music Pass would last forever?

anon(9065580)

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
They could have prevented 95% of the outrage if they had made sure that the free storage is bound to a registered and active windows phone on the account. that would have been no problem at all, just require the user to connect the device to your onedrive account (which already is the case), use onedrive to use the photo upload for +15GB and then have the phone renew a token once every day. Make it clear that not using the registered phone for more than 7 days will cause a notification that your additional storage will be put read only in 30 days and after that it will be deleted if the phone is not active (or a replacement registered) within 6 months.

this way you would get rather nice 30gb of free storage to use across your windows 10 devices and also put some pressure on people to stick with the ecosystem. hand out another 50gb of free storage for every surface registered on the account and you incentivise your users even more to stick to your brand.

but no ... microsoft as usual alienates their fanbase in the most retarded way possible and then is all flustered and quiet when the inevitable ****storm breaks loose.

cha0sman

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
hey are in business to make money, so it is unreasonable for a company to spend money on something that doesn't result in an equal or larger return, directly or indirectly. The money MS makes off a Lumia 640 (for example) that AT&T sold for $79 and INCLUDED a year of Office 365 (priced at $69) divided by forever equals.... well, you get the idea. If someone expected it to be free forever, they didn't think it thru.

Nothing wrong with MS charging for the storage they provided for "free" for awhile. I think they may have mispriced the storage going forward, and they definitely didn't do a good job making sure their customers understood what was going to happen down the road, and they should be shot for making up a BS story blaming a handful of abusers for something they were planning to do before a single byte of storage was given away. So plenty to be upset about. But I don't think the actual act of charging for OneDrive storage is one of them.

If they want to start charging new users, or users that didn't purchase hardware that advertised the free storage, that is fine.
But the fact of the matter is, the storage was listed as included with say Lumia Phones. If you list something as coming with the phone and don't qualify it as perpetual, then you are taking away value from the hardware that you purchased.
The way it was advertised, is it was a part of the phone and therefore, the perpetual use of the storage was included in the price of the hardware.
Lets take your example of the Lumia 640, it specified one year, if I remember correctly. Either way, it wasn't in the specs of the phone of what was included with it. 30 GB was however included in the specs of the phone it says:
15GB free cloud storage space on OneDrive. Additional 15GB free when you activate Camera roll backup.

I mean those are the cold hard facts.

Basically, when you purchase something it has a list of things that are included with it. It is a contract, that in exchange for valuable consideration this is what you will get. When you don't specify the time on how long you will have what is offered, it is considered perpetual(Meaning until the service is no longer.).

What you are describing would be like, if you purchased a BMW that came with a service plan that has free oil changes with non-synthetic oil for the life of the car. Then 2 years down the road, BMW then says we aren't going to honor your free oil changes anymore, even though it was a part of the service plan. But, guess what?! You can upgrade your service plan for $99.99/year, and it will include fully synthetic oil changes, and we will even give you the first year for free.

Like I said, if the accounts that you are bringing down to 5 GB are accounts that didn't purchase the hardware, fine. However, if they are accounts that did purchase hardware, that is not fine. If they want to bring the accounts that only purchased a Lumia 920, and no subsequent hardware, down to 7 GB that is fine, as that is what was advertised with the 920. And so on and so forth.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Lets take your example of the Lumia 640, it specified one year, if I remember correctly.

What did they specify for one year? Was it the 15GB +15GB camera roll? I don't really remember what was advertised because I bought the 640 for the phone, not the cloud storage.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Lets take your example of the Lumia 640, it specified one year, if I remember correctly. Either way, it wasn't in the specs of the phone of what was included with it. 30 GB was however included in the specs of the phone it says:
15GB free cloud storage space on OneDrive. Additional 15GB free when you activate Camera roll backup.
I mean those are the cold hard facts.
And MS was true to those words. The parties have different views on for how long it would last, but the amounts were honest and true. I think the focus needs to be on why MS didn't do a better job making sure customers didn't think it was forever (or any amount of time than it is). That and why MS insulted anyone's intelligence by thinking they would buy the bogus excuse of some customers abusing unlimited.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720