Onedrive storage down to 5GB from 15 + 15GB

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
It's not "free" when it was marketed as a selling point to purchase hardware.

Nope. Its still free. The offers with hardware were for 1yr and will be honored. There is no promise with free storage that it will always be free forever and ever. I think it was a terrible PR move and not a good business decision, but nothing wrong.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Its still free. The offers with hardware were for 1yr and will be honored. There is no promise with free storage that it will always be free forever and ever. I think it was a terrible PR move and not a good business decision, but nothing wrong.
Disagree. Especially considering they are still marketing that space.

My argument is that it's horrible for customers because of the way it was marketed/sold.

You say that it's bad for PR and a bad business decision. So what's are you getting at?

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I think they need to give benefits to MS phone owners but c'mon everyone.... STOP WITH THE ENTITLEMENT!!! They own the storage, they can cut free to 1gb if they feel that is right for them. Whether or not this is a good decision is another story. Take your data to another provider, or keep it local on a personal cloud drive(my preference), but dont act like MS owes anyone free storage. You werent promised "for life", so stop.

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I think they need to give benefits to MS phone owners but c'mon everyone.... STOP WITH THE ENTITLEMENT!!! They own the storage, they can cut free to 1gb if they feel that is right for them. Whether or not this is a good decision is another story. Take your data to another provider, or keep it local on a personal cloud drive(my preference), but dont act like MS owes anyone free storage. You werent promised "for life", so stop.

Chill down.
I do not think we are discussing about giving free storage forever to parasites who didn't buy anything from Microsoft since years. They are not entitled to, and MS will never get significant new customer numbers with such "free giveaways" anyway. It's not a clever marketing instrument in this case I'm afraid.

Also, per thread title, we do not discuss the new 1TB limit.

We discuss about Microsoft giving a customer as much storage as to a "parasite" (yes lets use this word), albeit he was told otherwise when buying a Lumia or whatever.
It's not a good move from MS, and complaining this is absolutely OK.
AND, if MS reacts, it will help them eventually. Help them to discern about users of their free offers and customers. Which is the first step to improve customer orientation. Which isn't a bad thing in my book.

Last edited:

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I was just looking for my old post on here an man, the comments are bad. Almost (almost) everyone is overreacting, for a change in gigabytes. Sure it's 10 gigabytes in free storage lost, but to the average user, that's the space they never used.

Wait, hold that thought. Are none of us looking at the other side? Instead of there being few abusers, there were just too little people using more than 5 gb?

Back to my thought. I've used OneDrive intensely, even uploading a few ISO files, and my storage usage? 4GB.

I'd add more, but it's almost 3 AM here.

Patata Johnson

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Sure it's 10 gigabytes in free storage lost, but to the average user, that's the space they never used.

Wait, hold that thought. Are none of us looking at the other side? Instead of there being few abusers, there were just too little people using more than 5 gb?

It's 25GB lost for most of us who used camera upload. Currently I have 14GB used.

Mike Newport

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Currently switching everything to Google drive ,it's 15gb for free, OneDrive was my main reason for using windows phone for years now, but I'll still use the 5gb I mean its free so why complain?

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Great job :) will be complaining righjt now.

UPDATE ? 10TH NOV 2015

As promised, instead of complaining here, I?ve now taken some Official action in the UK by making 2 separate complaints to the relevant UK Consumer Protection bodies; the UK Consumer Ombudsman and the Advertising Standards Authority. I?ve created a separate thread for UK Lumia Owners who bought a Lumia for/part for the advertised included 30GB OneDrive Storage.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/on...n-about-onedrive-mis-selling.html#post3286951

Microsoft UK are still advertising the Lumia 950 with 30GB OneDrive included with ZERO info about the upcoming changes :angry:

If you are in the UK, bought a Lumia here for (or in part) OneDrive and want to complain then please read the thread above with step-by-step instructions of how to complain online. It takes about 5 minutes. If you feel this is "Bait & Switch" then please click through (UK members only), we need to raise our voice officially guys. I'm just one guy, we need more official complaints on Step 1 above.

This is not a class action lawsuit or anything like that. I'm still a Microsoft fan, but want them to honour what I have paid. I don't expect free storage forever, but just while I still use my Lumia - this seems fair enough. If you agree, please follow this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/on...n-about-onedrive-mis-selling.html#post3286951 :unhappy:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was just looking for my old post on here an man, the comments are bad. Almost (almost) everyone is overreacting, for a change in gigabytes. Sure it's 10 gigabytes in free storage lost, but to the average user, that's the space they never used.

Back to my thought. I've used OneDrive intensely, even uploading a few ISO files, and my storage usage? 4GB.

No, it's 25, and in some cases, 35 GB lost. 10 normally, the 15 GB camera roll bonus and for some, the loyalty bonus. (ironic they're taking that too)

I'm not a crazy user but I'm using something like 36 GB. They also said that the 75 TB was so many times the average, which someone calculated to be over 5 GB.

OneDrive is supposed to be the One place for all my things, music, photos, (I don't even store ISOs or movies anymore) all my documents and game data (saves)...

With these changes i won't be able to store and sync my music or pictures with them, despite making Groove and then XBM handle streaming from OneDrive and touting OneDrive's camera roll upload and photo app.

This makes OneDrive, SecondStringDrive.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Who are you taking to?
This whole discussion is about their business decision and why many consider it bad. It's not about "entitlement". It's bad business.

Last edited:

DouttJ

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Unless your paying for a cloud service, you shouldn't be archiving on it. Free cloud space is a convenience, a way spot until you off load it somewhere permanent, which should be on a regular basis. If your archiving your stuff on the cloud, then $2 a month is not bad at all for the average Joe. In a few years it's just going to be another bill, like utilities and phone service, everyone will be paying for cloud service of some sort. We love to pay for convenience, fast food anyone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Probably because you haven't been a loyal WP user long enough.

The camera roll alone for people who used WP7 should be above 5GB by now.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Why does this whole thread remind me of a woman I know who felt her insurance company should give her double what her totaled car was worth because she was a single mother?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Why does this whole thread remind me of a woman I know who felt her insurance company should give her double what her totaled car was worth because she was a single mother?

Because you like to equate peoples' legitimate gripes with illegitimate ones in order to make yourself feel superior.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Because you like to equate peoples' legitimate gripes with illegitimate ones in order to make yourself feel superior.
Wrong. There is NO way I could feel any more superior.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
This thread IS about entitlement. I've even stated its probably not the best decision for MS to do this. But look at some of your replies. You're bashing logical posts because you are losing storage because you've been with WP since 7. THATS THE ENTITLEMENT IM TALKING ABOUT. MS owes us nothing, period. There are many other options for cloud storage. However, I do feel they need to keep the bonuses for MS phones, they know who has them. I have Office 365, so I'm not really affected by this. $10 a month guys, cmon. How did the world manage with backups before the cloud.... OHHH physical drives. HDDs are crazy cheap now a days. Of corse, the cost of a 1tb would be several months of Office365... Just saying. Look for solutions. This will likely backfire on MS. But what the hell, they only have a 2.5% share of the market. They'll lose a few thousand that are unreasonable or abusing the system. MS will carry on.

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Why does your comment remind me of a guy I know, who bought his car at a dealer 100 km away to save 200 bucks and cannot understand why the local dealer offers preferential treatment only to those who bought the car locally?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon