Onedrive storage down to 5GB from 15 + 15GB

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
[...]But what the hell, they only have a 2.5% share of the market. They'll lose a few thousand that are unreasonable or abusing the system. MS will carry on.
Perception is reality.
ATM, methinks enough people perceive that MS made an unfair move. If a lot of those who perceive it this way will act accordingly, they turn their negative perception into a negative reality for Microsoft.
Of course MS will survive, but people loving Microsoft products (and their Mobile OS) have all the rights to be upset, because it doesn't put MS in a better shape regarding Mobile. And the system needs better days badly.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
This thread IS about entitlement. I've even stated its probably not the best decision for MS to do this. But look at some of your replies. You're bashing logical posts because you are losing storage because you've been with WP since 7. THATS THE ENTITLEMENT IM TALKING ABOUT. MS owes us nothing, period. There are many other options for cloud storage. However, I do feel they need to keep the bonuses for MS phones, they know who has them. I have Office 365, so I'm not really affected by this. $10 a month guys, cmon. How did the world manage with backups before the cloud.... OHHH physical drives. HDDs are crazy cheap now a days. Of corse, the cost of a 1tb would be several months of Office365... Just saying. Look for solutions. This will likely backfire on MS. But what the hell, they only have a 2.5% share of the market. They'll lose a few thousand that are unreasonable or abusing the system. MS will carry on.

Ridiculous. Using your logic, if I pay money to rent a room at a hotel for a week with a nice view, and on the 4th day they cover up my window, I'm feeling entitled because I was only paying for the room.

You speaking about options for cloud storage has nothing to do with this discussion.

MS made SkyDrive/OneDrive a selling point for their ecosystem since day 1. They told their users to put their pictures and videos on the cloud. In fact, uploading pictures was done as an automated process that you'd have to opt-out of. That's how integral it was to the experience.

MS gave the extra 15 GB for the camera roll because they knew that if people did exactly as MS wanted them to do... and in fact set up the phones to do, people that believed MS early on and were early adopters would run out of space.

You speak about other options like we are not aware of them. Everyone is aware of these options. You are enlightening nobody. The fact that you think you are shows that either you have no idea what our concerns are or you just like to belittle the valid concerns of others.

The fact that these other options are available, and that many of us will have to use these other options isn't the point. The point is that this was a BAD move by MS if they care anything at all about their current customers and early adopters.

It's not entitlement. It's a declaration that the leadership at OneDrive is making horrible decisions when it comes to customers.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks please do so, its the only was we as UK consumers can do anything. Even if this goes nowhere, at least we can say say us Brits were not afraid of trying to protect what we feel is unfair.

Even if it goes nowhere, it at least it shows that you guys are seriously peeved and did not buy into the BS explanation they gave.

The reason that MS hasn't responded is likely because they know they gave a really crappy explanation and they have been caught on it. There really is no way to address it without saying that they lied.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Perception is reality.
ATM, methinks enough people perceive that MS made an unfair move. If a lot of those who perceive it this way will act accordingly, they turn their negative perception into a negative reality for Microsoft.
Of course MS will survive, but people loving Microsoft products (and their Mobile OS) have all the rights to be upset, because it doesn't put MS in a better shape regarding Mobile. And the system needs better days badly.

Also consider that MS has some bad image issues already. Consumers are just barely coming around.

Even though most people weren't using Windows Phones, they probably knew at least one person that did. That one guy that keeps recommending Windows Phone and sings its praises.

They thought it was ridiculous, but with the many positive things MS was doing they may have been starting to at least been more open to the idea of a Windows Phone in the future.

If their friend was an early adopter and they asked his advice now, what kind of response might they get? They'll go right back to believing all the things that had believed about MS in the past.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Use Bing, maybe get 100 extra GB. I do, all from using MS search service on all devices. If that offer is no longer on the table keep an eye out for new offers.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I took all my photos off and deleted just about everything else, so I'm down to 100mb of documents, so I'm back in the IDK camp. MSFT can suck it.
I had 250GB.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Unless your paying for a cloud service, you shouldn't be archiving on it. Free cloud space is a convenience, a way spot until you off load it somewhere permanent, which should be on a regular basis. If your archiving your stuff on the cloud, then $2 a month is not bad at all for the average Joe. In a few years it's just going to be another bill, like utilities and phone service, everyone will be paying for cloud service of some sort. We love to pay for convenience, fast food anyone.

You win the cloud!

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
While MS is completely within their rights to alter their offerings, and I would bet that option is covered in the agreements everyone scrolls through and clicks OK on, this is just a bad PR move. The free space was enticement to use the service. There is space provided for getting an Outlook.com account, and the ads that come with it. There is space provided to store music to be played via Groove, and space allotted for uploading photo backups to make the service attractive. These offers were extended not only to Windows users but iPhone and Android as well, and those folks could easily make use of OneDrive from their Office Mobile apps as well. They were an incentive to use OneDrive to promote other services and applications, and potentially get new users for MS products beyond just OneDrive. Had they just stopped those promotions, folks would have said 'darn, missed out'. To remove them from those that got them just makes them upset and everyone watching wary. If the real issue is that some folks are abusing 'unlimited storage' it is being done by folks that are actually paying for storage. The free tier folks are not the problem, why punish them?

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
This thread IS about entitlement. I've even stated its probably not the best decision for MS to do this. But look at some of your replies. You're bashing logical posts because you are losing storage because you've been with WP since 7. THATS THE ENTITLEMENT IM TALKING ABOUT. MS owes us nothing, period.

Yes, this is about entitlement - entitlement to what we PAID Microsoft for with our Lumia's OneDrive storage. Its not our fault if Microsoft started out too cheap, they should have made it CLEAR if it was a temporary offer like their rivals. Microsoft owes us what it promised to deliver. An included 15GB camera roll for existing Lumia users is NOT going to bankrupt the company.

We're NOT asking for free storage for ever. Just while we use our Lumia's that they advertised. They could perhaps give us a separate App for Lumias or Voucher code. If I ever leave for say Android, I lose my included storage. That is fair. That is reasonable.

I don't understand why you are so upset that I'm exercising my consumer rights (UK) against a company that has tens of billions in cash piles. If we "win" in the UK and get to keep our 30GB then what's the problem? I'll likely remain a happy Lumia user. If not, do you honestly believe I would ever recommend a Microsoft device to anyone? I actually think we're doing Microsoft's PR team a favor here in the long run.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
And with what app will you use it on WP/W10M? OneDrive is/was the best as it is integrated into the MS products... This change won't be a showstopper for me as I will still have my 1TB, but it can be painful for a lot. And it's a regression as all the providers give more and more cloud storage, not less...
Just one more bump in the road for WP users. Your choices if you want to back up your Windows Phone (5 GB doesn't hack it as a minimum) are $69.99 for Office 365 Personal (gets you 1 TB), $99.99/yr for Office 365 Home (1 TB per user, 5 users), or $1.99/month for 50 GB. It's sad what MS is doing to its best customers (other than Enterprise but they pay plenty for their services). It's sad how poorly MS treats its customers. The thing I don't understand is if MS statement that most users don't even use 5 GB how much would it actually cost for MS to grandfather the 15 GB free PLUS 15 GB Camera roll. For all the hate that people have for Verizon they are one of the best at grandfathering current customers with some people having plans that are over 10 years old.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't recall MS ever saying that Windows was going to be 'free forever' find me that in writing from MS and I'll believe you.

They said Windows was free for the first year. That was all. I have little doubt that Windows will become a subscription service like most other software these days. It's pretty obvious in all their statements about how W10 is the 'last Windows release' and that there will be 'constant updates to the existing OS'.

The question will be how much will it cost for the subscription. Hopefully less than Office 365. If it's a reasonable price most people won't have an issue paying for it. It will only become problematic if it's overpriced.

I personally think a Office 365 subscription is good value for what you get. With Windows they're fairly lucky to have such a large install base and a large catalogue of software so I don't see it being an issue so long as the price is reasonable.

If people are going to think things are free all the time why would companies bother making software? MS is a software company. This is what they do and how they make money. Do we really expect differently?

As for this whole OneDrive thing I'm rather thankful I switched to Android and haven't used it as much as I did when using WP. I rarely use it with my PC. Though I understand they need to make OneDrive more profitable I think they way they went about this whole thing was wrong. Great way to lose customer base and confidence in people

I mentioned elsewhere and this goes out to any company. Don't use the term 'unlimited' if you don't mean it. Advertising watchdogs should fine companies that do this if you ask me.

Let's get straight what MS promised. They promised a "Free Upgrade" from W7 or W8 for the first year after release. In general, the useful life of an OS (which means at least security updates) has been 10-15 years. As long as MS keeps that promise on W10 they will be fine. If not, there will be trouble. People don't usually care about updating a good OS (in MS's case, XP and 7 have been the best examples) and usually only upgrade an OS during a new computer purchase. This has been the MS business model for Windows since Win 95 (and maybe even W 3.1). Trust but verify.

J Basalts

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
This is very disappointing as 12GB of my storage is used purely for photos I captured using my Windows Phone. This doesn't seem good for Microsoft as they're trying to drive away customers who aren't abusing the free storage they provided. I don't know Microsoft, this really isn't a good move.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The thing I don't understand is if MS statement that most users don't even use 5 GB how much would it actually cost for MS to grandfather the 15 GB free PLUS 15 GB Camera roll.
You need to avoid statements like that. They are so out there that people reading your other statements can't help wondering if they are just as silly.

Let me demonstrate: Trivor isn't living on the streets, surely he would barely notice if he gave me $5.

Are you logging onto PayPal to send it to me?

I understand why you aren't. You should understand why Microsoft isn't.

I can understand someone saying MS should do it because then they will love MS but to say they should because they can afford it is silly. Leave that part out of your arguments.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft has decided they want to be profitable in everything they do instead of being a "loss leader" like some people(cough cough John C Dvorak) want them to be.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
We're NOT asking for free storage for ever. Just while we use our Lumia's that they advertised. They could perhaps give us a separate App for Lumias or Voucher code. If I ever leave for say Android, I lose my included storage. That is fair. That is reasonable.

I think your idea is a decent one if you would have to cut back your storage immediately. However, that's not the case because if you are over 5GB, then you get 1TB for 2016. Might I ask which Lumia model you will still be using in 2017?

Also, I say this tongue-in-cheek of course but shouldn't we be exercising our consumer rights by demanding that MS compensate us for taking away the advertised Bing Rewards 500 points/100 friends referral program that comes with our switch from Google to Bing web browser? By my calculations, it cost us about $495 when they reduced the referral program to 150 points/5 friends. MS has billions in cash piles, so surely no one should criticize us for taking that action. We're all victims, right?

wcpusr

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I just have one question. I have 40gb storage now and currently I am using 34gb of it. What will happen with my files now?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Let's get straight what MS promised. They promised a "Free Upgrade" from W7 or W8 for the first year after release. In general, the useful life of an OS (which means at least security updates) has been 10-15 years. As long as MS keeps that promise on W10 they will be fine. If not, there will be trouble. People don't usually care about updating a good OS (in MS's case, XP and 7 have been the best examples) and usually only upgrade an OS during a new computer purchase. This has been the MS business model for Windows since Win 95 (and maybe even W 3.1). Trust but verify.
So, business models never change?

Isn't this latest from MS a clear example of that?

Lots of companies have moved to the subscription model because it makes sense for companies and for consumers. Office 365 anyone?

Not saying it will happen immediately or ever but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb