Onedrive storage down to 5GB from 15 + 15GB

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Update: 25th Nov

Just to advise everyone that this is STILL being investigated here in the UK by the ASA & Consumer Ombudsman. The fact that our complaints are still active after this time is hopefully a good sign.

As always guys, I will update this thread as soon as I get an update. For those who are interested in the UK complaint can read so below:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/on...ally-complain-about-onedrive-mis-selling.html

This is great. I'm not sure how to complain (apparently I need documentation that I'm not sure how to find) so doubt I'll do it myself, but great to know Microsoft might get dinged by the authorities for it.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
This is great. I'm not sure how to complain (apparently I need documentation that I'm not sure how to find) so doubt I'll do it myself, but great to know Microsoft might get dinged by the authorities for it.

I just had to provide details of my purchase to the Consumer Ombudsman. For the ASA, they only need screenshots and links which was easy considering the UK Microsoft team are still advertising 30GB with the new Lumia 950 and no mention of the upcoming "early 2015" changes!!. It is a big complaint though, two separate ones and so likely why it is taking so long.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
2nd Dec 2015 - UPDATE

Finally got some news guys:

The UK consumer ombudsman have finally got back to me with this: "We have contacted the company to ascertain if it was prepared to allow us to review your complaint. The company has not responded despite chasers being sent."

So they have completely ignored ALL correspondence from the UK Consumer Ombudsman.

What a disgrace of a company.

So basically they are now saying if I wish to take my complaint forward I need to get Trading Standards involved which is hugely severe because they have teams of people who visit offices and can result in court action. I'm not sure I have energy to go through with all this. I'd rather put my Lumia in the bin and never touch Microsoft ever again.

Anyway, I've still got to hear back from the ASA so will update again later this week. Hopefully they will be able to prevent the cowboys from continuing to advertise the 950 over here with 30GB.

ostseeratte SN

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your post. For me its clear now, it was my first and my last microsoft phone. i have google phones for ten years, but they have never so ignored their cosumers. the microsoft support answered me with a link that i can wote for more space. I felt really taunting me. No never again thank you.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully they will be able to prevent the cowboys from continuing to advertise the 950 over here with 30GB.

Isn't this still technically correct? I believe the storage limit drop is to start rolling out in early 2016. How can Microsoft be incriminated for this?

Maromi-kun

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
For anyone that voted in OneDrive's UserVoice (the Give us back our storage one), ms just closed it but gave a link so those with 15GB storage + 15GB Camera Roll can keep it even after the changes take into effect. They're also giving free users 1 year of Office 365 Personal

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully my ongoing complaint with the ASA (UK) has helped them reach this decision.

Strangely the complaint has not been closed down by the ASA, the way Microsoft aka The OneDrive Team have handled this has been a disgrace. Will now update my ongoing thread but at least we got our victory in the end.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So consumers voicing their concerns made a positive impact.

Imagine if we listened to all those people that just called it whining.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

It is nice to see that Microsoft listened to those who voiced concerns. It's too bad that you lost your trust in the company and now won't be able to take advantage of the grandfathering. You did a good thing for others though, and they should thank you.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

UserVoice voting, complaints and stuff are protesting and stuff.

Whining I'm pretty sure is a lot more obnoxious.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It is nice to see that Microsoft listened to those who voiced concerns. It's too bad that you lost your trust in the company and now won't be able to take advantage of the grandfathering. You did a good thing for others though, and they should thank you.
Yeah ms probably thought based off usage most wouldn't care. But then they realized that's not the case and did what's good. A company that screws up and admits it is actually quite trusting in my book, everyone makes mistakes.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I lost some trust, but I'm still Lumia user as well as a Windows 10 user.

I still think that it was crappy of them to take so long to address the UserVoice when it states that suggestions with 100 votes would be responded to.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The return to the 15 + 15 for those who already had it is nice, but what about all those people currently purchasing new Lumias for holiday presents and such. Will they get only the 5GB? It pretty much cripples the whole idea of OneDrive as a photo backup, except as a temporary repository until you move the photos over to Google!

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The return to the 15 + 15 for those who already had it is nice, but what about all those people currently purchasing new Lumias for holiday presents and such. Will they get only the 5GB? It pretty much cripples the whole idea of OneDrive as a photo backup, except as a temporary repository until you move the photos over to Google!

They will probably get whatever is advertised at time of purchase, and hopefully the email if 15+15 is offered. If 5 is in the features and specs they know what to expect and plan for.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
They will probably get whatever is advertised at time of purchase
I may be wrong, but I haven't seen them advertising any particular amount of storage with the 950 and 950XL. The listing in the MS store has just a vague reference to OneDrive, though they do tout accessing "all your files on all your devices." However, I bet there is lots of old advertising stuff floating around on things like Lumia GoPhone packaging that claims you get 15GB + 15GB. I wonder if they would honor that if you screamed somehow?

By the way, my significant other did not receive the email invite from Microsoft for some reason--possibly because she currently has an Office365 subscription that is about to lapse and they don't want to miss the opportunity to plug the renewal of that. But, she was able to go to this link to keep the 15 + 15: http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
This is the email I received in response to me complaining at onedrive.uservoice.com:
(No Status) → Closed

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage. These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. From now until the end of January, you can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.
Douglas Pearce

Douglas Pearce
Group Program Manager, Microsoft

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss