Their plan all along

wessock

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I have to say this seemed like their plan from the start, and I suspected as much. They only released a press release about a year ago mentioning unlimited for office users. Nowhere on their website or anywhere else did it ever say more than 1tb the whole time. Most people, myself included, had to try for months with various horrible foreign support reps to get unlimited. Most acted like they had never heard of the concept, only 1tb. A lot of people never even saw the upgrade to 10tb to "hold them over" until unlimited rolled out. It was all just a PR move to get more people signed up for Office 365 and get people dependant on it. They probably consider me an abuser. I have about 12.7tb from my Office 365 Home sub that I now need to worry about doing something else with. I was just beginning to get into MS again. I got a Surface Pro 3, was enjoying Office, upgraded my desktops to win 10. Now I'm done. They just can't stop stinging the frog in the middle of the river.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I sincerely hope that this is Microsoft's "New Coke" moment... get a lot of negative publicity at first, then a whole lot more positive publicity when they back off and make it exactly as before.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I sincerely hope that this is Microsoft's "New Coke" moment... get a lot of negative publicity at first, then a whole lot more positive publicity when they back off and make it exactly as before.

Does not matter, the damage has been done, even if they revert the trust has dissapeared, whos to say they wont change again in future. There is only ONE solution, forget Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon....Buy a Synology NAS and make your own cloud. Look at open source owncloud.org - its free and secure, much faster than any of these offerings, and your data is your own, limited only by your own hardware, its encrypted and no 3rd party can 'scan' your documents. You can have backups to cloud as well as other hard drives in different locations.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If this was their plan then they should get double slapped because planted PR reverts like this don't work. See: XBO Used game policy, always online, W8 GUI changes, etc...

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
IDK, not sure I will come anywhere close to needing more than 1TB in the foreseeable future... The problem is the *** hats threat were abusing it. 75 TB of movies, really?

wessock

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
A scorpion can't change its nature. Gave them a shot and they stung me. It was the only compelling reason for me and most to have a subscription to Office let alone use any pay software with so many free competitors offering compatible software that does what the large majority require. 8tb archive drives only run about $250 now. I'm sure there will be holiday deals soon too.

wessock

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
IDK, not sure I will come anywhere close to needing more than 1TB in the foreseeable future... The problem is the *** hats threat were abusing it. 75 TB of movies, really?

The miniscule few who might have done that I'm sure didn't cause any strain to onedrive. It's just an excuse for MS. Their statement doesn't make sense from a factual viewpoint. "unlimited" was never advertised or meant to be real. It all was based off of 1 PR statement a year ago. Never appeared in any of their ads or on any MS website. People who went over usually had to hound and hound MS support for months before they were finally given more than 10tb.most I'm sure gave up. They knew 90% of users wouldn't go over even 1tb. This was always their plan. Get people hooked into the ecosystem and on the idea of unlimited storage that most wouldn't use for years to come with false promises that they could always change policy on for whatever excuse they saw fit.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Agree....how can you sell something unlimited and then cry when a few use more than the majority. That will allways be the case and admitting that is the case im guessing they know who those people are. How hard can it be to limit those few or warn them. Instead they globally unilatrally penalise EVERYONE.

Microsoft are hiding the real reason, the truth. if not then this has to be a Gigantic screwup. I hope its the latter and Satya goes on record ASAP to rectify this. This is something that will destroy the reputation they have been fighting soo hard to build.

wessock

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
What really gets me is at least grandfather in the current customers. Just make the changes for new people after 2015 or something.

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
This whole thing seems jarring, short sighted and stupid. This could be as damaging to their PR as the initial reveal of the Xbox One. I'm just horrified.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I do not believe anything they say is gonna fix this. Sugar coated manure is still manure. They've already admitted to peeking at user data. They stated movie files, PC backups, etc. I thought my data was private like they claimed. Guess all online storage are the same with privacy.

In my line of work, we have to deal with a lot of client's sensitive data. I hold myself to a very high degree of integrity and have not broken that trust in the few decades I've been doing it. This is just so irresponsible. $2/mo is chump change, but the trust and privacy are already broken.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Any possibility MS is doing this due to the EU data ruling? They have to have storage for people of a country in that country now I think. Not sure if MS would throw EU under the bus blaming them if that was the case or not.

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
They've already admitted to peeking at user data. They stated movie files, PC backups, etc. I thought my data was private like they claimed. Guess all online storage are the same with privacy.

User could have told them what was in it when asked by Microsoft. You would be surprised what info people voluntarily tell companies. There is a reason social engineering is so effective... I don't want to make this seem like I'm defending Microsoft here, but I'm just saying you may be jumping to conclusions regarding this.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Here's an alternate view on MS implementation and retooling of OneDrive...implying that it may not have had much at all to do with Windows users at all....rather, it's all about Apple and trying to poach converts and customers.

From a ComputerWorld.com article

The author (Gregg Keizer) notes the timing of the OneDrive upgrade in space coincided with the iOS8 rollout that required 5GB+ of space to install....causing panic and file/app cleanouts by iPhone users to install. MS OneDrive made their space upgrade 2 days after the iOS8 rollout and it's constraints for installation became apparent. The Computerworld article quotes Douglas Pierce's (OneDrive Group Program Manager) 9/19/2014 Blog : "We think you'll appreciate having more free storage while setting up your iPhone 6 or upgrading to iOS 8."

Article author Gregg Keizer notes that now...just weeks after iOS9 rollout, with its pared down smaller(-72%) install size, OneDrive comes out with it's retooling and downsizing of storage offerings.

So the Computerworld article suggests through the timeline parallels, that the whole OneDrive storage space fiasco was nothing much more than a marketing ploy to fish for Apple users.

I'm not sure if I completely buy this analysis but it would seem the timings are interesting at the least supported by OneDrive's Douglas Pierce's own words. If true, the idea that OneDrive and MS users would be toyed with as collateral damage without any consideration whatsoever would be insulting to me. I'm really hoping that MS is not this callous and short sighted.

I've not seen this take on the OneDrive promotion as an Apple fishing expedition before. Just happened to come across this article published today(11/07/2015).

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

I already bought an IPhone 6S Plus (My first EVER Apple device, and I'm 46 years old and work in IT!) and have cancelled my 100GB OneDrive plan (on top of the 15+15 I was getting with my 1520) and am now paying a monthly fee for ICloud.

Well done, Microsoft, well done. Lift foot, pull trigger.

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if I completely buy this analysis but it would seem the timings are interesting at the least supported by OneDrive's Douglas Pierce's own words. If true, the idea that OneDrive and MS users would be toyed with as collateral damage without any consideration whatsoever would be insulting to me. I'm really hoping that MS is not this callous and short sighted.

I don't think Microsoft is short-sighted, I think they know EXACTLY what they are doing, which is killing the WP platform inch by inch and chasing away enough users to justify shutting W10 mobile hardware down entirely.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If this was their plan then they should get double slapped because planted PR reverts like this don't work. See: XBO Used game policy, always online, W8 GUI changes, etc...

At least with the XBO it was tied to a completely new hardware purchase. They didn't go and change your Live account so that it would affect your XBOX 360.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss