Why are you leaving Windows Mobile over OneDrive storage reductions?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I've seen many people here and on Reddit who say that they're leaving Windows Mobile and cancelling their Lumia 950/XL preorder over it. This doesn't seem very logical. Backing up photos can be done through several applications -- Flickr, Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. -- on Windows Mobile, iOS and Android. I'm upset with Microsoft for changing their policy too, however I don't think it warrants giving up on Windows Mobile.

Rob Reynolds

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
As frustrating as it is, I'm still gonna stick with windows phone. I'm interested to see what happens with windows 10. Love the design of windows phones and cant wait to get hold of new flagship phone!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I think for many the step was way too drastic. They justified their move by blaming the few that abused the "unlimited" system and are punishing everyone lol

I understand their why they're doing it, but to take away the 15/30gb for photo uploads from users and giving 5gb was a bit overboard, according to some.

And to be honest I understand those users as well.. Not everyone wants an office subscription and not everybody can pay for extra storage, so wp was a very attractive solution for those people, but with that gone, what can they do? yes they could simply download google drive or dropbox, but keeping it onedrive simply made more sense.

The decision to take space away from everyone, seems a bit rash, instead they could've opted to cut down on the "unlimited" space. Capped it off at 1/2 TB's

Rob Reynolds

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
It begs the question, how did ms know certain people where using so much storage?? I thought one drive was secure. Does this mean they are snooping through everyone's stored items???

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying they are right...or wrong. Assuming it's not a gut reaction, sometimes the only recourse you have when a company does you wrong is to leave.

This is the last thing MS needs right now. It does no good to **** off the users that are keeping your otherwise dead platform alive.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
It begs the question, how did ms know certain people where using so much storage?? I thought one drive was secure. Does this mean they are snooping through everyone's stored items???

Pretty sure every company that allows cloud storage does that, but nobody would openly admit it :p the onedrive team did lol

However since they stated that only a few users were guilty of this, it could also mean that they took a look at the data and were able to track those accounts down and to see what the issue was, they decided to take a peak. I mean, who in heavens name stores 75tb's online?? and of what??

Retorical questions; the onedrive team already answered lol

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not saying they are right...or wrong. Assuming it's not a gut reaction, sometimes the only recourse you have when a company does wrong by you is to leave.

This is the last thing MS needs right now. It does no good to **** off the users that are keeping your otherwise dead platform alive.

I wouldn't say the platform is dead lol obviously they crunched the numbers and based on the results it seemed that even if they did this, they would still be making a decent bit of money (paid subscriptions and all).They were losing money by allowing so many people to have free space, but nonetheless, I think it was drastic to take away the 15/30gb's and replace that with 5gb.. I mean wth do you backup with just 5gb :p

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Maybe given the amount of negative press they are getting off the back of this, they might reconsider. Even if they increased the amount to 10gb might soften the blow a bit

exactly! they need to find a middle ground in all of this, because the bad press, simply can't be worth it... Lol it was one thing to see wp being bashed by the many tech sites, but now WP and MS have to face the same critique from their own users

Rob Reynolds

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Considering the next chapter of wp is just round the corner, their timing sucks a little to say the least! This is going to put a lot of people off who might be getting into windows phone for the first time.

Mark Baker3

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
People talk alot of rubbish on the internet basically. I have a windows phone. I am not about to smash it with a hammer over loss of storage in cloud. I am not happy about it as 15gb was about right for me. What it will do though is be something I will factor in when I do replace my phone. If in six months time I replace it then what I get with it will count. This will include cloud storage amounts. I like windows phone as an os which is why I use it but I could likely tolerate android if the overall package made it worth while. This issue is just another factor to consider. Not some ****** overreaction which is what is being reported elsewhere.

moontonight

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I have 45GB of free storage ( 15GB free,15GB Camera roll bonus,5GBReferral bonus and 10GB of Loyalty bonus). I have my account since 2010. Is this reductions going to effect me ? Is Microsoft going to reduce my storage or it's only going to effect the new costumers ? :straight:

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I have 45GB of free storage ( 15GB free,15GB Camera roll bonus,5GBReferral bonus and 10GB of Loyalty bonus). I have my account since 2010. Is this reductions going to effect me ? Is Microsoft going to reduce my storage or it's only going to effect the new costumers ? :straight:
One year from now, you'll be able to use only 20 GBs out of your 45.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes. All free storage users will be reduced to 5GB of space under the current conditions presented in the OneDrive team blog.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I've seen many people here and on Reddit who say that they're leaving Windows Mobile and cancelling their Lumia 950/XL preorder over it. This doesn't seem very logical. Backing up photos can be done through several applications -- Flickr, Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. -- on Windows Mobile, iOS and Android. I'm upset with Microsoft for changing their policy too, however I don't think it warrants giving up on Windows Mobile.

It's more of a trust issue of you ask me. I only used 400 megs of my 30 gigs, but they change it on the fly like that and try to upsell their product with it. They offer one year free office 365, but then after that year it's going to be move or keep paying. And there bet is people will have a lot more on the cloud because of the free subscription so they will pay. Now, the same could be said about windows 10. They could make a decision that affects lots of people once they have a large user base. Windows 10 is only free to get people on ms services and paying for apps which they get money from. Also the aggressive push of Bing which you won't get people to move to if they are already using google on older windows, but Cortana forces it. Nothing is free and ms proves that with its ability to make changes like these. If you want to push mobile you want to offer a great package with it. 5 gigs doesn't sound great if you're in android and thinking of moving over. Android give way more so obviously you lost a big base there. Not everyone wants office. I don't use it. I just want to be able to know I have the space on the cloud whether I use it now or in the future. It just seems MS is not serious about mobile. Instead of giving incentives to buy these new Lumias, they are essentially lowering their value by not giving the best overall package. Windows already has a problem with market share, it needs every little bit to give it a boost, and this is the opposite. So do you want to invest in something that MS puts no effort into. It makes you wonder about the future of their platform.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
For less than the price of one cup of coffee a month I think I'll be ok paying for OneDrive, considering the benefit of syncing the cloud with W10 on multiple device I own.

And everyone should be thinking like you :p but like I said earlier, not everyone is in that position... Either financially, personally or depending on where they live, it just isn't possible for everyone. I think "people" forget sometimes that WP is most popular outside of the US

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say the platform is dead lol ...

I wasn't very clear. I was referring to Windows phone, not Windows as whole or Onedrive. But, that's another debate and not important for this thread.

Anyway, I haven't seen this many incensed Microsoft customers/enthusiasts in sometime. And rightly so. It will be interesting to see how the company responds.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Why are you leaving Windows Mobile over OneDrive storage reductions?
OneDrive is separate from Mobile so I wouldn't consider singling out Windows Mobile to leave. The only way I would leave Windows Mobile over it is if it made me mad enough to leave Microsoft entirely. I mean Windows Desktop and X-Box and throw my Microsoft Keyboard in the trash. This doesn't make me THAT mad so I'm not leaving Windows Mobile.

But I have converted numerous people to Windows Mobile and I absolutely am going to stop recommending ANY Microsoft products or services because of their blatant lying about why they did this. That was much worse than the changes they made. Its frightening that a company actually thinks that more than 1% of the people would either believe them or be impressed at just how blatant it was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss