Why are you leaving Windows Mobile over OneDrive storage reductions?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I've seen many people here and on Reddit who say that they're leaving Windows Mobile and cancelling their Lumia 950/XL preorder over it. This doesn't seem very logical. Backing up photos can be done through several applications -- Flickr, Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. -- on Windows Mobile, iOS and Android. I'm upset with Microsoft for changing their policy too, however I don't think it warrants giving up on Windows Mobile.

BluetoothFairy1

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
For less than the price of one cup of coffee a month I think I'll be ok paying for OneDrive, considering the benefit of syncing the cloud with W10 on multiple device I own.

Agree. Why should I be mad about losing something I was getting for free in the first place?
Ditching my $100 Lumia and going iPhone would cost me $700. That is a whole decade of 365 membership with 1tb of storage. Sticking with OneDrive is a no brainer for me, especially because it is x-platform, unlike iCloud, which I use as well. And no, I'd never go Android

BluetoothFairy1

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
On another note, removal of the 100 and 200 GB plans may very well be pushing me back to iCloud. I have more than 50 fb and don't want 365, while I already own office 2016 pro plus suite. I just need storage, but don't want to pay for a full TB, which I'd never use. Very poor marketing and PR on MSFT part

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Because people are now talking with their wallet. Think of it as a protest. They take something from loyal customers, these loyal customers will retaliate by pulling their pre-orders. Microsoft will notice the pre-order cancelations and hopefully realize that this is happening because of cloud fiasco. The only thing left to do is to react and understand that if you take away something as cloud storage, you put the entire mobile platform in jeopardy. While mobile platform won't fail because people cancel pre-orders, it will affect sales.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Because people are now talking with their wallet. Think of it as a protest. They take something from loyal customers, these loyal customers will retaliate by pulling their pre-orders.
Pre-orders of what? As I've said, OneDrive has never been given or sold with or for a device. OneDrive space is ALWAYS linked to a Microsoft Account which you can have without owning or using any Microsoft hardware, software or other service. One Drive is "free" or bundled with software like Office 365, or purchased with money or Bing or some other "rewards".

It might make some sense to boycott Office 365 or not otherwise buy OneDrive space but it makes ZERO sense to single out phones which NEVER came with a single byte of OneDrive space.

Boycotting Windows Phones is as silly as MS trying to blame unlimited OneDrive abusers for cutting other user's available storage.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
normally i have only couple of docs maybe some pics on one drive usualy less than 2gb, but im going to fill it with crap while i can just so i can get one year of free office 365
What? Did MS do something really dumb like give Office 365 to anyone who is using more than the "new" lower free space as a consolation? Usually only our government can come up with schemes that have such bad unintended consequences. LoL

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
If I leave Windows Phone/Mobile/Whatever it will be because of the OS and the lack of support, not anything to do with OneDrive. That being said MS is on a roll with the dumb decisions and this latest one isn't helping them one bit.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone market share in Europe and china actually increased last Q, and that's pretty good seeing that is the @ the new iphones were released. WP overtook ios in Russia. Both android and ios share went down.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Pre-orders of what? As I've said, OneDrive has never been given or sold with or for a device. OneDrive space is ALWAYS linked to a Microsoft Account which you can have without owning or using any Microsoft hardware, software or other service. One Drive is "free" or bundled with software like Office 365, or purchased with money or Bing or some other "rewards".

It might make some sense to boycott Office 365 or not otherwise buy OneDrive space but it makes ZERO sense to single out phones which NEVER came with a single byte of OneDrive space.

Boycotting Windows Phones is as silly as MS trying to blame unlimited OneDrive abusers for cutting other user's available storage.

Because majority of people used One Drive because of the automatic back up from their phones. On top of that, many people got their 15GB free camera roll storage. And people are angry not because they are punishing Office 365 and unlimited storage. Many people do not have unlimited storage and most of us have what I assume 140GB plans, and people are pissed that they are taking away FREE plans, not 365 plans. Boycotting WPs forces Microsoft to realize that OneDrive is ultimately tied to success or failure of Windows Phones (WMs). On top of that, boycotting windows phones is the only way Microsoft will realize that people are pissed. If not boycott WPs, what else is there to boycott?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I pay for Office 365 to get 1TB of storage and will continue to pay them for it. Still a bargain and I get Office for the family too! I am not considering and change.

I guess if they took away free storage I'd be annoyed, but they're giving users a year to work out what they want to do. For most users, paying $1.99/month will be the simplest and most convenient option.

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

Its indeed silly but I think this is their form of protest, to give back same silly excuse from OneDrive team by boycotting Windows phone pre-orders. Its indirect but maybe one way to show their dissatisfaction from OneDrive changes. Its really a protest and if Microsoft won't change their stance, then they lost some customers. Most OneDrive users are quite Microsoft supporters, alot of people on Android and iOS platforms are Google Drive, Dropbox or iCloud (for iOS) users. OneDrive isn't that yet an household name for cloud storage.

Also Windows phone devices are tied to Microsoft account, you can't basically use Windows phone beyond basic mobile phone by not registering or signing-in Microsoft account. Also OneDrive as far as I know is the only service that is integrated to the OS, others can do some but not all. Other services can only backup photos and videos automatically maybe but no backup for other things and other features.

In my case I'm still going for W10M devices but this news even affects my buying decision a bit.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
And everyone should be thinking like you :p but like I said earlier, not everyone is in that position... Either financially, personally or depending on where they live, it just isn't possible for everyone. I think "people" forget sometimes that WP is most popular outside of the US

That's a decent point, but realistically people who can't afford a cup of coffee per month probably don't need more than 5GB free cloud storage.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Its indeed silly but I think this is their form of protest, to give back same silly excuse from OneDrive team by boycotting Windows phone pre-orders. Its indirect but maybe one way to show their dissatisfaction from OneDrive changes. Its really a protest and if Microsoft won't change their stance, then they lost some customers.

Here's what's wrong with that: The idiots who came up with this plan won't even notice the protest and won't suffer any consequences. It will be the phone department who suffers. A much better protest would be for everyone to max out all their OneDrive space. If everyone did that, the costs to MS would wipe out years of the extra income the idiots hoped to enjoy. And the hits would be to those idiots and THEIR department with no chance of blaming it on some other factor such as phone sales are down due to bad phones not some protest.

People are crazy.

Especially people here apparently.
It's the same everywhere. Trust me. I've been everywhere.

Hmmmm. Hope I'm not the one infecting everyone.

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
What we need is a Protest App that keeps a person's OneDrive topped up with spacer data automatically, and contracts it as space is needed. I think it would get a lot of downloads.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
And everyone should be thinking like you :p but like I said earlier, not everyone is in that position... Either financially, personally or depending on where they live, it just isn't possible for everyone. I think "people" forget sometimes that WP is most popular outside of the US

IMHO this makes no sense.

Either people live in a place where cloud storage isn't viable at all, in which case these changes are completely irrelevant (didn't use OneDrive before, and won't use it now), or they own a smartphone or other computing device proving they can certainly afford $2 / month. Any mobile phone contract in the world will cost more than that.

The issue is not the inability to pay, but not wanting to. That's where most of the outrage is coming from. MS has only themselves to blame for that though, as they have conditioned a lot of people to believe cloud storage (an insanely expensive service to setup and run professionally for millions of people) should be free.

Of course many people here also have other gripes than an online storage service with a decent amount of space actually costing something (what a shocker), and those I largely agree with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05