Why do I have two different versions of OneDrive?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

Why do I have two different versions of OneDrive

In October I received an email headed 'Sign into OneDrive' from email at onedrive.microsoft.com - it looked legitimate. It began "We noticed that it has been a while since your OneDrive app signed in. To keep your files syncing on your PC, please start OneDrive and set it up again. Here?s how: "

This seemed odd as I use OneDrive every day, but I followed the instructions. Now I suddenly have two different versions of OneDrive. The version I access through File Explorer is not the same as the version accessed through Office (which calls itself OneDrive - Personal). They started off the same but if I save anything into OneDrive - Personal it's not accessible through File Explorer, only by opening Word or whatever and going to recent documents.

So while I've not lost anything, it's really inconvenient not being able to just easily save, and having to go use File Explorer for everything because that's the only way I can be sure I'm looking at the most recent version.

I don't know which one I should be using, and I don't know how to get rid of the other. I'm also confused over why I was instructed to set up OneDrive again.

Can anyone help me? Please note that I'm not a computer person and don't understand technical jargon, but if anyone can provide advice in plain English I'd be very grateful.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why do I have two different versions of OneDrive

In October I received an email headed 'Sign into OneDrive' from email at onedrive.microsoft.com - it looked legitimate. It began "We noticed that it has been a while since your OneDrive app signed in. To keep your files syncing on your PC, please start OneDrive and set it up again. Here’s how: "

This seemed odd as I use OneDrive every day, but I followed the instructions. Now I suddenly have two different versions of OneDrive. The version I access through File Explorer is not the same as the version accessed through Office (which calls itself OneDrive - Personal). They started off the same but if I save anything into OneDrive - Personal it's not accessible through File Explorer, only by opening Word or whatever and going to recent documents.

So while I've not lost anything, it's really inconvenient not being able to just easily save, and having to go use File Explorer for everything because that's the only way I can be sure I'm looking at the most recent version.

I don't know which one I should be using, and I don't know how to get rid of the other. I'm also confused over why I was instructed to set up OneDrive again.

Can anyone help me? Please note that I'm not a computer person and don't understand technical jargon, but if anyone can provide advice in plain English I'd be very grateful.

Have you tried contacting support? They usually help out quite well

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12