Warning! MS is already removing OneDrive space for 365 customers! Anyone affected?

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Today I got an warning from OneDrive saying that I have exceeded my quota. I am subscribing for Office 365 and have been using my "unlimited storage", today using around 6 TB, mainly 4K videos of my relatives playing soccer and ice-hockey games. Earlier OneDrive has been saying I have a 10 TB limit, today that is just 1 TB. Since MS info on Nov 2 about making "unlimited storage" offer just 1 TB I have started to download data but it will take months even with my computer on 24/7. During this time I can from today not save documents, photos, notes, app backups, anything to OneDrive, making it useless!

From MS OneDrive blog Nov 2:
"If you are an Office 365 consumer subscriber and have stored in excess of 1 TB, you will be notified of this change and will be able to keep your increased storage for at least 12 months."

Did I get notified? No.
Was I able to keep my storage for at least 12 months? No.

I PAYED for Office 365 and unlimited storage and now this will cause me so much trouble and costs.

Are anyone else affected yet?
When I try to contact MS support they just forward me around in circles.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The following is from that same blog post:

We’re no longer planning to offer unlimited storage to Office 365 Home, Personal, or University subscribers. Starting now, those subscriptions will include 1 TB of OneDrive storage.

If you are using more than 5 GB of free storage, you will continue to have access to all files for at least 12 months after these changes go into effect in early 2016. In addition, you can redeem a free one-year Office 365 Personal subscription (credit card required), which includes 1 TB of OneDrive storage.

That says to me that they are doing exactly what the said they would, reduce the storage to 1TB and give you access to your files for at least 12 months after the changes go into effect, we are in early 2016 after all.

You do have access to that increased storage for 12 months but only to get access to the files to either download or delete them but not to store any new ones.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
The following is from that same blog post:

That says to me that they are doing exactly what the said they would, reduce the storage to 1TB and give you access to your files for at least 12 months after the changes go into effect, we are in early 2016 after all.

You do have access to that increased storage for 12 months but only to get access to the files to either download or delete them but not to store any new ones.

Why do you mix two different parts of the blog? One is regarding subscribing 365 customers like me and one is about the customers using the free space. They will be handled completely different.

The users with free space will have access to their files for at least 12 months. I have read that and understand that.

If you read the FAQ for more info it will also say this:

If you are an Office 365 Home, Personal, or University subscriber with unlimited storage:

• If you are an Office 365 consumer subscriber and have stored in excess of 1 TB, you will be notified of this change and will be able to keep your increased storage for at least 12 months starting on November 2, 2015.
  • After that period, your account will become read-only, but you will still have access to your files for at least 6 months. You can view and download your files, but will not be able to add new files.

I have not been noticed a single time about this and now my account is read-only although the FAQ clearly says it should take at least a year before that would happen.

I can't be the only one with this problem right now?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
You need to reread my post, starting now means as of November 2nd which means they reduced ALL Office 365 Home, Personal and University storage to 1TB. Increased Storage access for 12 months doesn't state you'll be able to store files.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
You need to reread my post, starting now means as of November 2nd which means they reduced ALL Office 365 Home, Personal and University storage to 1TB. Increased Storage access for 12 months doesn't state you'll be able to store files.

Thanks for answering, English is not my first language so I admit I can misunderstand things.

But read the FAQ: https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_changes_FAQ/

Pretty clear to me, if 365 customer:
1. Keep your storage for at least 12 months, no changes during this time
2. Then read only access for 6 months
3. Account locked if still using more then 1 TB

(And is one single email too much to ask before giving me read only access on all my OneDrive files, some very critical?)

Last edited:

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

At least I had understood the terms correctly. Now I just have to wait to get my storage back.
Why couldn't a mistake like this be communicated on the OneDrive blog? Or by email? Would have saved customers and MS support a lot of time.

Making customer's OneDrive accounts read only by accident, good job. Next accident, removing customer's data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills