Using OneDrive as a basic backup

dxtgdh

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I want to use OneDrive as a cloud backup for some folders, and am on Win10. I have OneDrive installed and syncing, but what appears to be happening is that I am working onto the cloud files and they are then being made available offline (ie downloaded).

I use very large files (as a graphic designer using InDesign) and it is often impossible in this scenario to work, because on my 1mb/s upload link, I cannot work on a document and save it because OneDrive has not finished syncing the last Save, so I have to use Save As and keep multiplying large files.

I thought the solution would be to make certain folders non-sync. But if I do this, they disappear from my OneDrive folder in Explorer. In other words the online files are masters and the offline ones are slaves. Explorer shows me only the contents of the cloud folder structure. (This is pretty puzzling - am I deleting the files locally when I unsync? Certainly I can find no way to browse to them...)

In any event, I want it the other way round, so that in explorer I see my local files, and OneDrive syncs them into the cloud as a backup.

Is such a scenario possible or have I misunderstood completely?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I want to use OneDrive as a cloud backup for some folders, and am on Win10. I have OneDrive installed and syncing, but what appears to be happening is that I am working onto the cloud files and they are then being made available offline (ie downloaded).

I use very large files (as a graphic designer using InDesign) and it is often impossible in this scenario to work, because on my 1mb/s upload link, I cannot work on a document and save it because OneDrive has not finished syncing the last Save, so I have to use Save As and keep multiplying large files.

I thought the solution would be to make certain folders non-sync. But if I do this, they disappear from my OneDrive folder in Explorer. In other words the online files are masters and the offline ones are slaves. Explorer shows me only the contents of the cloud folder structure. (This is pretty puzzling - am I deleting the files locally when I unsync? Certainly I can find no way to browse to them...)

In any event, I want it the other way round, so that in explorer I see my local files, and OneDrive syncs them into the cloud as a backup.

Is such a scenario possible or have I misunderstood completely?

this is what I usually do, whenever I have files to back up, I copy them to the ondedrive folder, wait for them to all sync and then I don't sync the folder onto the laptop. When you choose the folders to sync or not sync, it means the folders will definitely be in in onedrive and those you sync will be on your pc too. Choosing not to sync a folder will mean the files would be online and not on your pc

I suggest you create your files, work with them, and copy to onedrive as needed and overwriting the older files without changing names

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster