Onedrive sync is very slow on my Mac, how can I speed it up?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Onedrive sync is very slow on my Mac

I use the latest Onedrive sync Mac client available on the Apple store and I want to upload 43 000 files (3,4 Gb) on my OneDrive for business. My mac sync all night and only 1000 files (239 Mb) was upload. It will take a loooong time to do all the files.

Someone can tell me why ?

I'm an IT professional in a college and we have 135 Mbps upload Internet connection.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Onedrive sync is very slow on my Mac

Check your connection, are you on Wifi or Ethernet?

If WiFi you may had either a saturated access point as you say your in a college or you have a faulty Wifi module / adapter.

With Ethernet the same maybe true.

Without knowing exactly which mac you are using it would be hard to say what maybe at fault.

Of course there is a chance that something went wrong with the sync client and keep alive time outs.

marichard3

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site

I use an iMac with an ethernet connection and I can't saturated the ethernet access. I'm connected on 1 Gb switch and my computer is the only one working at night (I'm in a college).
Uploading 1000 files (239 Mb) in a night is not normal. Google Drive do it in less than an hour.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I use an iMac with an ethernet connection and I can't saturated the ethernet access. I'm connected on 1 Gb switch and my computer is the only one working at night (I'm in a college).
Uploading 1000 files (239 Mb) in a night is not normal. Google Drive do it in less than an hour.

Hmm, sounds like if anything it's the sync client try the onedrive website and if it does the same it is most likely the keep-alive timeouts they set... I tried uploading a large blender project and I did notice speeds start dwindling after awhile. I chalked that down to my dying routers if anything.

marichard3

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site

I just tried the website. I upload a 123 Mb zip file in less than a minute. Do you know if I can unzip a file directly on the One Drive website ? I didn't find how. It could solve my problem because I can't upload 44 000 files one at a time.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I just tried the website. I upload a 123 Mb zip file in less than a minute. Do you know if I can unzip a file directly on the One Drive website ? I didn't find how. It could solve my problem because I can't upload 44 000 files one at a time.

You can drag and drop into the onedrive tab (that's what I do on firefox) and you don't need to upload a single file at a time as you can for instance on Windows (I'm presuming you are using OSX) hold ctrl or shift and select multiple items then click open.

As for extracting a compressed file in onedrive.com website I'm afraid that's not possible yet.

marichard3

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site

The drag and drop works with Chrome, but not with Firefox.
Thank you for the tip.
Meanwhile, the OneDrive sync client upload 50 files (1 Mb) since this morning...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

The drag and drop works with Chrome, but not with Firefox.
Thank you for the tip.
Meanwhile, the OneDrive sync client upload 50 files (1 Mb) since this morning...

Odd drag and drop doesn't work with firefox.
It looks like there is something wrong with the onedrive sync client.

Did this happen before or just started recently?

marichard3

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
It works fine when I uploaded 9 721 files (7,15 Gb). But now I asked sync client to upload 45 736 small files (4,11 Gb) and it doesn't work. I think the sync client has problem with a lot of files. I will try to sync a small amount of files to see if it works better.

Last edited:

marichard3

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
It works fine when a sync a small amount of files and it not depends of the size. It took almost the same time to sync 9721 files (7,15 Gb) as syncing 11 684 files (221 Mb). For theses two cases, it looks less than an hour. It not the same when I tried 43 000 files (3,4 Gb) yesterday. It never terminated after one day and one night of syncing. It became very slow after the first 500-1000 files (200 Mb). When I stopped, it was 41 000 files still remaining to sync. It's not normal. One day and one night for syncing 2000 files representing around 400 Mb, it's not normal. I think there is a problem when we try to sync a lot amount of files.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It works fine when a sync a small amount of files and it not depends of the size. It took almost the same time to sync 9721 files (7,15 Gb) as syncing 11 684 files (221 Mb). For theses two cases, it looks less than an hour. It not the same when I tried 43 000 files (3,4 Gb) yesterday. It never terminated after one day and one night of syncing. It became very slow after the first 500-1000 files (200 Mb). When I stopped, it was 41 000 files still remaining to sync. It's not normal. One day and one night for syncing 2000 files representing around 400 Mb, it's not normal. I think there is a problem when we try to sync a lot amount of files.

Hmm, I think it could be down to the fact when your syncing a lot of files - a file probably creates a certain number of keep-alive requests - so when you have a lot of files - the max is reached and you get throttled. This could also be down to the fact MS doesn't want OneDrive to be a cloud back up solution - hence the reduction from unlimited to 1 TB for consumers and the reduction of loyalty bonuses, so on.

Also as Chintan Gohel suggest try folders.

marichard3

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Finally, I sync all my 43 000 files using the OneDrive Sync Mac client. I sync around 1 000 - 2 000 files at each sync and it works fine. All my files were sync in less than a day.

Thank's to all of you for your suggestions.

Martin

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Finally, I sync all my 43 000 files using the OneDrive Sync Mac client. I sync around 1 000 - 2 000 files at each sync and it works fine. All my files were sync in less than a day.

Thank's to all of you for your suggestions.

Martin

Good to hear that everything is finally resolved :).

Do you want me to close this thread?

marichard3

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Yes you can close the thread.

Last information, Microsoft just release a new version of the Mac sync client. Maybe it can do a better job. I update it after synchronizimg my files. I don't know if it works better.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes you can close the thread.

Last information, Microsoft just release a new version of the Mac sync client. Maybe it can do a better job. I update it after synchronizimg my files. I don't know if it works better.

Ah I see, since you've updated after syncing the files.

I wasn't aware of the update :), maybe the update addresses the issue.

I'll leave the thread open for now in case you want to post an update at a later date ;).

Dario Diano

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, but this is not a fix. It's a workaround.
Looks like either the client has issues or the Server is on purpose drastically limiting the upload speed.
Am I missing something?

Tks.
Dario

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo