Having issues sharing a folder on OneDrive. Anyone knows what could be the issue?

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to share a folder with someone who is on my Office 365 subscription. I've tried sharing all week and I keep getting an error saying there's trouble reaching the server. I've tried from the OneDrive App, website with different browsers and even from a different computer in a different country and it's the same error every time (I'm currently overseas and got my girlfriend to try back home in America for me). Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I do but everytime I try to select a person or add the persons email address and share it then gives me a trouble reaching server error.

I haven't tried the share via email option yet. What I usually do is copy the link and share it with the appropriate users. Although the share via email throwing an error is off-putting. Have you tried reaching out to Microsoft support?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I do but everytime I try to select a person or add the persons email address and share it then gives me a trouble reaching server error.
can you try using a different email address? Perhaps that particular email has an issue
Something else you can check is can you share individual files with that person or with anyone else?
Thirdly, how many files are in that folder? I remember a certain limit existing a couple of years ago.

And are you able to generate a share link?

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
can you try using a different email address? Perhaps that particular email has an issue
Something else you can check is can you share individual files with that person or with anyone else?
Thirdly, how many files are in that folder? I remember a certain limit existing a couple of years ago.

And are you able to generate a share link?

I think this limit you speak of might be the case. As of right now the email address makes no difference and depending on what I use to access the folder (app/browser) I don't even get the chance to type in the email address because the error will pop up before I can get that far. I also pin pointed it down to just the one folder I'm trying to share and its sub folder. No other folder in my one drive seems to suffer from this error.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The folder has 4.77GB of data in it. It has lots of sub folders and files. I really need to share this folder as it contains important files that I need to give my business partner permenant access to.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The folder has 4.77GB of data in it. It has lots of sub folders and files. I really need to share this folder as it contains important files that I need to give my business partner permenant access to.

It looks like your folder has more files than can be shared as a complete folder. What if you shared the subfolders one at a time. Try to see that a folder has less than 1000 files/folders. I believe that used to be the limit.

The other route would be to use a website called mover.io This allows you to copy files/folders to another storage service. For example, I recently copied over 20GB of files from my onedrive to google drive. You have to have to access to the account where your files and the account you wish to transfer to. It takes a couple of hours depending on size. The problem with this would be that you can't update the files you've sent

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Good news. I've fixed the problem. I have no idea what caused the problem but it's fixed and that's all that matters in the end lol. I created a new folder and moved all of the contents from the stuck folder to the new folder and OneDrive let me share it from that point. Thanks guys for trying to help me.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Good news. I've fixed the problem. I have no idea what caused the problem but it's fixed and that's all that matters in the end lol. I created a new folder and moved all of the contents from the stuck folder to the new folder and OneDrive let me share it from that point. Thanks guys for trying to help me.

good solution, glad you got it sorted

Liran Edde

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I tried creating another folder and that is not the issue for me still same problem and no one from Microsoft can help with this, they are clueless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos