Here's my situation. I'd like to create an archive folder for old projects that I'd like to be able to drag and drop files into for backup purposes. Being a Office 365 subscriber I have 1 TB of data on my OneDrive and would like to take advantage of that but my office computer only has about 250 GB of free space, much less than my OneDrive. Now, I wish this archive folder to be accessible from file explorer but not stored on my HDD and when I set the folder not to be synced, the folder simply disappears.
    Is there a way to work around that and be able to access it online without using the web version of OneDrive?
    Does anybody have any other suggestions for archiving using OneDrive?

Cheers.
    06-18-2016 09:31 AM
    Here's my situation. I'd like to create an archive folder for old projects that I'd like to be able to drag and drop files into for backup purposes. Being a Office 365 subscriber I have 1 TB of data on my OneDrive and would like to take advantage of that but my office computer only has about 250 GB of free space, much less than my OneDrive. Now, I wish this archive folder to be accessible from file explorer but not stored on my HDD and when I set the folder not to be synced, the folder simply disappears.
    Is there a way to work around that and be able to access it online without using the web version of OneDrive?
    Does anybody have any other suggestions for archiving using OneDrive?

Cheers.
    if you're on windows 10, download the onedrive app from store - it allows you to see the files and folders from the app without actually storing them on the pc - but this needs internet

The new OneDrive UWP app for Windows 10 PCs is now available | Windows Central
    mtf1380 likes this.
    06-18-2016 09:38 AM
    if you're on windows 10, download the onedrive app from store - it allows you to see the files and folders from the app without actually storing them on the pc - but this needs internet

The new OneDrive UWP app for Windows 10 PCs is now available | Windows Central
    Although a good idea that app is the same as using OneDrive on the web and, unfortunately, even more cumbersome than the web version. I was hoping for something I could do from File Explorer.
    Attached Thumbnails untitled.png  
    Last edited by Chris Miskow; 06-19-2016 at 01:41 PM.
    06-19-2016 12:19 PM
    Although a good idea that app is the same as using OneDrive on the web and, unfortunately, even more cumbersome than the web version. I was hoping for something I could do from File Explorer.
    try this: How to overcome the placeholder limitation of OneDrive in Windows 10 | Windows Central

I believe it has what you're looking for. Tell me how it goes :-)
    06-20-2016 01:45 AM
    I tried again and no, it doesn't. There are no settings for file explorer and the app from the Windows Store it is crap. You can't even drag and drop files like you can using the web version so that is not a solution, it's a "fix" that doesn't fix anything and creates more problems.
    Do you have the app from the store confused with the pre-installed program on Windows 10 which allows you to access your OneDrive from File Explorer? I already have that but my problem is that I want to be able to access FROM File Explorer files that are NOT SYNCED to my computer. Is that possible?
    06-21-2016 06:28 PM
    I tried again and no, it doesn't. There are no settings for file explorer and the app from the Windows Store it is crap. You can't even drag and drop files like you can using the web version so that is not a solution, it's a "fix" that doesn't fix anything and creates more problems.
    Do you have the app from the store confused with the pre-installed program on Windows 10 which allows you to access your OneDrive from File Explorer? I already have that but my problem is that I want to be able to access FROM File Explorer files that are NOT SYNCED to my computer. Is that possible?
    I guess not. That's what placeholders were for but that worked in 8.1, not W10. Long way around would be to downgrade to 8.1 sorry
    06-22-2016 12:46 AM