Onedrive Executable Filenames

John Turnbull1

Dec 3, 2016
Visit site
I am developing a multi-clipboard program to update via Onedrive and I am finding it extremely difficult to get simple questions answered by MS about it....

There is a OneDrive.exe and there is a GROOVE.EXE

I have the OneDrive.exe version but not the GROOVE.EXE version

I have two questions.... Question one... My Onedrive.exe file responds to the command line switches /background (to start silently) /shutdown (to shutdown) Does GROOVE.EXE also respond to these switches?

Question two.. I only found out about GROOVE.EXE by accident. Are there any other filenames used by Onedrive? If so, what are they?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure GROOVE.exe corresponds with OneDrive for Business which is a somewhat separate service than OneDrive.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I never understood why some people feel the need to answer questions when they don't know the answers!
I never understood why some people have to be so rude when they don't get exactly what they want!

More seriously though, I felt that information was relevant and affected what you were attempting to do since I read your post as assuming there were multiple copies of the same OneDrive executable scattered throughout Windows.

Also, I feel bad when threads go unanswered without any attempt to respond, so it's a balancing act. Feeling like you're shouting into oblivion isn't the best. If it makes you feel better I typically don't reply if I have nothing relevant to share. If you prefer that though I will take that into account.

John Turnbull1

Dec 3, 2016
Visit site
I can appreciate that but in a forum called Onedrive on a site called Windows Central, I would have expected a simple answer to a simple question. Does no one from Microsoft browse these?

Had you just READ my questions without your assuptions, it would have been obvious that your reply was irrelevant.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can appreciate that but in a forum called Onedrive on a site called Windows Central, I would have expected a simple answer to a simple question. Does no one from Microsoft browse these?

Had you just READ my questions without your assuptions, it would have been obvious that your reply was irrelevant.

Sorry, we don't usually get Microsoft people around here.

I've read your question from the beginning and it was obvious to me in the way that you worded your question that you were erroneously equating standard OneDrive and OneDrive for Business (Groove.exe) which in reality aren't the same thing.

OneDrive uses only one onedrive.exe since OneDrive for Business is something else. It is safe to assume there are no other secret hidden consumer OneDrive executables otherwise.

I know GROOVE.EXE is part of Office, at least for me and unless you plan on targeting this separate OneDrive for Business client with your program it's best to leave it be.

I don't use it usually but if you'd like me to try it out for you, feel free to elaborate. (I'm assuming those are flags that would be added in command prompt or a shortcut?)

John Turnbull1

Dec 3, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the offer but from customer feed back, I now understand that.....
The command switches do work with Groove.exe.
There is a third executable called Skydrive.exe
Microsoft are attempting to standardize on Onedrive.exe so the other two will die out slowly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte