Hello,

Currently my local drive holds a lot of info that syncs with OneDrive. I want to to save hard drive space. How can I use my Windows Explorer to drop files into OneDrive, have them upload and just create a pointer?

If copy and paste from my hard drive OneDrive folder, will the pointer be copied or the actual files. i.e. drop some files on to USB key.

Thanks,

Mr. V
    10-31-2017 08:55 PM
    Assuming you're on Fall Creators Update (which is required for this), right-click and choose "Free up space". That will remove the file from your device, but keep the pointer/placeholder.

If you move the pointer/placeholder, it will move the file that it refers to. If you drop it onto a USB/local storage, it will download the actual file, not the pointer.
    11-01-2017 01:24 AM
    Assuming you're on Fall Creators Update (which is required for this), right-click and choose "Free up space". That will remove the file from your device, but keep the pointer/placeholder.

If you move the pointer/placeholder, it will move the file that it refers to. If you drop it onto a USB/local storage, it will download the actual file, not the pointer.

hmmm....I don't see the 'free up space' option when I right click the OneDrive icon....could you send me a screen grab?

Thanks,

Mr. V
    11-04-2017 01:56 AM
    Not the OneDrive icon, on the individual files/folders you want to make online-only.

If you want to move ALL files on online-only, right-click the main OneDrive folder. Otherwise you can choose individual file and folders, depending on what you use most often.
    11-05-2017 04:03 PM
    Not the OneDrive icon, on the individual files/folders you want to make online-only.

If you want to move ALL files on online-only, right-click the main OneDrive folder. Otherwise you can choose individual file and folders, depending on what you use most often.
    I right clicked on a folder on my desktop and I see this screen

onedrive.png

But no free up space option....maybe I don't have the update?

Thanks for helping to guide me....#helpthestupid
    12-07-2017 12:50 AM