OneDrive deleted an entire month of edits

amandat23

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Basically what the title says. My OneDrive has been acting up for some time now. It's given me a few different sync issues and almost always says "Upload Failed" when I try to save. Therefore, I've been using the "Save a Copy" thing to save my files.

I am very paranoid because a few weeks ago, OneDrive deleted about a week's worth of work on a totally different file. So, I have a little system where I "Save a Copy" but before closing it, I'll copy/paste the entire document in my clipboard. Then, after the copy is saved and the document is closed, I'll open it up again from File Explorer and make sure my edits are there. They've always been there, so I've never had to use my copy/pasted clipboard stuff.

Last night, I was working on this file and I did the same thing as always. The edits were there, so I closed the document again and shut off my laptop. This afternoon I went back to the file to work some more and everything was gone. The formatting and editing of the file now is the way it was nearly a month ago. All the work I've done in the past month is completely gone.

I've tried opening the OneDrive version but it's the same. I went to File -> Version History and the most recent date is August 24th. I tried right clicking on File Explorer and doing "Restore previous versions" but it says there are no previous versions.

I'm 95% sure I'm screwed, but if you guys have any ideas I'm down to try them. Basically, how tf did this happen and how do I uninstall OneDrive. I have literally spent the past hour crying over this stupid app deleting an entire month of my work. I'm sick of all the errors it's giving me and now I have wasted more hours than I care to think about on something I'm going to have to re-do.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Basically what the title says. My OneDrive has been acting up for some time now. It's given me a few different sync issues and almost always says "Upload Failed" when I try to save. Therefore, I've been using the "Save a Copy" thing to save my files.

I am very paranoid because a few weeks ago, OneDrive deleted about a week's worth of work on a totally different file. So, I have a little system where I "Save a Copy" but before closing it, I'll copy/paste the entire document in my clipboard. Then, after the copy is saved and the document is closed, I'll open it up again from File Explorer and make sure my edits are there. They've always been there, so I've never had to use my copy/pasted clipboard stuff.

Last night, I was working on this file and I did the same thing as always. The edits were there, so I closed the document again and shut off my laptop. This afternoon I went back to the file to work some more and everything was gone. The formatting and editing of the file now is the way it was nearly a month ago. All the work I've done in the past month is completely gone.

I've tried opening the OneDrive version but it's the same. I went to File -> Version History and the most recent date is August 24th. I tried right clicking on File Explorer and doing "Restore previous versions" but it says there are no previous versions.

I'm 95% sure I'm screwed, but if you guys have any ideas I'm down to try them. Basically, how tf did this happen and how do I uninstall OneDrive. I have literally spent the past hour crying over this stupid app deleting an entire month of my work. I'm sick of all the errors it's giving me and now I have wasted more hours than I care to think about on something I'm going to have to re-do.

Have a look in the temp folders:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Temp

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\LocalLow\Temp

C:\Windows\Temp

Going forward instead pasting to clipboard, copy and paste into one note.

In regards to the sync issues it could be down to your network set up especially if you are syncing over WiFi (dropped packets are indicative of a dying WiFi chipset). Personally I would suggest saving to your PC first and then dragging + dropping that file into onedrive or any other cloud storage solution.

The other alternative would be create your own cloud using Network attached storage and Vpn, some Asus routers offer the functionality to create your own cloud - it's called AiCloud.

Therefore effectively you are working off your own network attached storage that is accessible remotely by yourself when ever you need access to it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd check the Recycle Bin too but since the file is still there, just old, you're probably not going to be okay.

This is such an odd issue but I'm not surprised since back a few years ago, OneDrive had the odd knack of randomly (seemingly) moving files to my Recycle Bin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa