Cannot share OneDrive 365 Folders between accounts

deonholt

Nov 1, 2021
Visit site
Hi all and thanks for your help.

I have two Office 365 accounts; one for work and one for personal use at home.

I need to create a shared folder between these two computers. I need to have a folder where I have docs from work to work on while at home.

I have watched literally 10's of videos on how to do it. And all of them say the same thing: Right-click, choose share, type name of group of person's e-mail address, choose how to share (read or edit rights) and click on send.

I have done this numerous times from both sides to share a folder and I have never received the e-mail with the link.

Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Do the shared folder need to have the same name o both machines?

Thanks.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
First question would be if you have permissions set from your work IT to allow sharing like this. Many company IT departments have sharing permissions like this turned OFF due to security. Check with them first to see if it is being blocked by security settings. That would be first thing before any other troubleshooting can be done.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ah, ok - good! Are you trying to share a OneDrive folder? If so, you can share a folder and set permissions for the person you are sharing with when setting up the link.

Edit:
If you aren't receiving the link - do the basics and check your spam filter for that account. If the link is not showing up there, try testing on a different email account (like a gmail address). If you are sending between 2 MS email addresses it would be strange that it would block one, but it's not unheard of sadly.
Note - I did test on my system and was able to get a sharing link between accounts.

Last edited:

deonholt

Nov 1, 2021
Visit site
Ah, ok - good! Are you trying to share a OneDrive folder? If so, you can share a folder and set permissions for the person you are sharing with when setting up the link.

Edit:
If you aren't receiving the link - do the basics and check your spam filter for that account. If the link is not showing up there, try testing on a different email account (like a gmail address). If you are sending between 2 MS email addresses it would be strange that it would block one, but it's not unheard of sadly.
Note - I did test on my system and was able to get a sharing link between accounts.

Thanks for the reply.
I checked both e-mail address' spam boxes and nothing. Interesting enough I could see both invites when drilling down shared settings of the "to be shared folder". I removed them both and tried again from the online "folder" of OneDrive.
This time I got this message: "administrative policies don't allow sharing with people outside your organisation"
Now I guess I know why the invites are not sent. This happens on both machines.

Unfortunately I don't have other e-mail accounts with OneDrive linked to them.

I will Google and see what it brings up on this message about not being able to share.

deonholt

Nov 1, 2021
Visit site
Hi again.

I think I have learned that with Office 365 Personal I cannot share folders outside my family.

Can you please confirm if this is true?

Regards,

Deon

deonholt

Nov 1, 2021
Visit site
I had a look at that link earlier.
The thing is that the mail invitation is never sent. I will keep trying, though.

Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12