Best 8 inch windows tablet for now?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
This has bay trail, great design, and more. Do you think this is the best 8 inch windows tablet? Or the toshiba encore?

Last edited:

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
This have clover trail, great design, and more. Do you think this is the best 8 inch windows tablet? Or the toshiba encore?

I think so.. Its slimmer, faster and better than other 8 inch tablets.. I'll give it to Dell for now.. However, in a few months Lenovo will bring something better. A more affordable yoga..

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes, realized that after I posted, sorry.

Not enough details on the Toshiba yet. It's heavier 1.1lbs while the Dell is a very comfortable 0.87lbs. Could be a difference in build quality and/or battery capacity, we'll have to see. Basically picking blind right now but of the two I'd lean towards VP8, at least until the Surface Mini arrives.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't expect them until first half of 2014 but would be happy to be proven wrong. I wonder if MS is considering other aspect ratios, something more square like 3:2.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think this is pretty awesome for for $300. My question would be if it has the sensors you generally see in other tablets like gps. This might be a buy for me though. Depending on what the processor can handle, this might be a great htpc...that is a tablet!

Adan G

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I tried getting information about the Venue 8 Pro also, but didn't have any luck. I think with the active digitizer this is my next for sure!

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
@mase123987 I was up early this AM checking too and it wasn't there but it is now: Touch Screen Laptops, desktops, tablets | Dell . However it doesn't appear the red version is available at this time. The customer service rep I spoke to also indicated that the 64gb version wasn't available, but it is - just shipping November 1 instead of October 28 (32 GB ship date). Also, the version with the case and stylus is shipping November 8th. I'm trying to figure out whether or not the micro usb can output video via a cable/adapter. I've read about MHL and IntelliLink but this rep makes it seem as though the only way to output video is through a wireless adapter. Full exchange below. Thoughts? I seem to remember there being supply/fulfillment issues with Dell Venue phone; hope this isn't a repeat of that...

9:49:21 AM Me Initial Question/Comment: .
9:49:26 AM System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
9:49:26 AM System Connected with Joel A
9:49:41 AM Joel A Welcome to Dell US Small Office Chat. My name is Joel and I will be your Dell.com Sales Chat Expert. I can be reached at joel_aquino@dell.com. You can now chat with us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week !
9:49:46 AM Joel A Hi Me may I know how can I help you today?
9:50:15 AM Me Hi Joel! I'm trying to order the Venue 8 Pro Win 8 tablet, but I don't see a 64gb or red option. Are those available?
9:50:31 AM Joel A Sorry about that but I would be happy to help you with that.
9:50:46 AM Joel A Let me see if we have a red color for that tablet.
9:51:24 AM Me yes, the product preview page up earlier this am indicated it owuld come in red
9:52:46 AM Joel A I apologize but at the moment what we have is a black Venue 8 Pro Win 8 tablet, we don't have a red one yet.
9:53:15 AM Me when will the red be available? and is there a 64 gb version of the black?
9:53:51 AM Joel A I cannot guarantee when but since it was advertised that it is an option then for sure it will be offered soon, we have no update when that will be available though.
9:54:32 AM Me ok, and is there a 64 gb version of the black available today?
9:55:06 AM Joel A Only 32GB storage .
9:55:35 AM Me ok, when the 54gb version be available, as that variant was advertised too
9:55:54 AM Me when will the 64gb version be available (typing too fast)
9:56:22 AM Joel A I am sorry but we cannot guarantee, it will be shown online once available. Hopefully soon.
10:05:51 AM Joel A Shall we help you with your purchase on that today or you will just do that online?
10:07:39 AM Me i'm debating if i should hold out for the 64 gb, i want to make sure i have enough storage!! also, one more question, i know it doesn't have hdmi out, so what cable would i need to connect the venue 8 pro to my tv or pc monitor (hdmi inputs)?
10:09:36 AM Joel A Checking..
10:11:04 AM Me oh the 64 gb is available to order on the page you sent me,it just has a later ship date. yay!
10:12:46 AM Joel A One more moment.
10:13:21 AM Joel A You will need to get this Netgear Push2TV Wireless Display Adapter .
10:14:26 AM Me hmmm, there?s no way to use a cable? i travel a lot and want to be able to use a cable (the wireless option is nice to have also)
10:15:16 AM Joel A Sorry but no.
10:17:23 AM Me hmmm, ok. i was under the impression that there are usb to hdmi cables but i'll take your word for it. that's a dealbreaker, so i won't be ordering. thanks for your help!

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
The Windows button is in such a crazy place on the venue, on the edge, weird.

There's always the Windows / Start button on the Charm Bar. Just swipe in and tap all in one motion. On the Surface it's actually faster and more natural than letting go of the tablet on one side and reaching for and tapping button.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
When held portrait, just swipe from right to get to start button from charm bar. When held landscape, just press the hard start button at top left. It is just the right place for landscape mode. I actually think they didn't even need to have a physical button as you just swipe to charm bar and its there.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the dell to the lenovo as lenovo ruined the look with their lenovo logo right on the bezel. The dell is logo free on the front and even start button free. Perfectly clean. 100% bezel. Well done Dell! I am buying the Dell.

DCProjMgr

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It seems that all small tablets are dropping the HDMI physical connector as they add MHL wireless. Lenovo and new Kindle HDX have the same situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb