How does it stack up against the competition?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
How does the Dell Venue 8 Pro stack up against other 8-inch tablets for the same price? I am mainly wanting a consumption device. A little productivity with a tablet now and again would be a good thing, but not a deal breaker. I am considering all possible tablets, not just Windows 8, though it would have pretty good tablet for me to consider an android :winktongue:

DCProjMgr

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My observation:

• Kindle HDX - smallest and lightest with by far the best screen. If you are in the Amazon ecosystem this is easily the best media (and bank account) consumer.
  • Lenovo Miix 2 - The lightest Windows tablet; the specs of the Dell and Lenovo are almost identical, so the greater portability is a plus.
  • Dell Venue 8 - About the size of the current Kindle HD with the same screen, but of course it runs full Windows. Biggest asset: you can order it now!
  • Toshiba Encore - Hefty compared to the previous 8 inchers, but Toshiba is adding an 8 mp camera, a mini-HDMI port, 2 mp front camera and dual microphones optimized for Skype.
  • Acer Iconia W4 - Same size as the Toshiba (and Acer's previous W3); the W4 adds only Bay Trail and a better screen to its plump package. I would pass.

We'll see what Apple adds to the mix this coming week.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
My observation:

• Kindle HDX - smallest and lightest with by far the best screen. If you are in the Amazon ecosystem this is easily the best media (and bank account) consumer.
  • Lenovo Miix 2 - The lightest Windows tablet; the specs of the Dell and Lenovo are almost identical, so the greater portability is a plus.
  • Dell Venue 8 - About the size of the current Kindle HD with the same screen, but of course it runs full Windows. Biggest asset: you can order it now!
  • Toshiba Encore - Hefty compared to the previous 8 inchers, but Toshiba is adding an 8 mp camera, a mini-HDMI port, 2 mp front camera and dual microphones optimized for Skype.
  • Acer Iconia W4 - Same size as the Toshiba (and Acer's previous W3); the W4 adds only Bay Trail and a better screen to its plump package. I would pass.

thanks man, this really helped me. I'm probably gonna skip out on the W4 and the encore (the camera on a tablet doesn't need to be good for me, I'll use my 920 for pictures). I'm also not that invested in Amazon, so I'll pass (although their skin is sooo much better than others imo).

I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what Apple has because its between the mini, venue pro, and miix.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
And of course Nokia announces tomorrow as well
Microsoft has hinted at a smaller tablet coming later on the year.

you can never win, something new is always around the corner. I'll wait until tomorrow when I can check out Nokia's tablet and the iPad mini, but tbh if its $500 like its rumored to be, I'll probably pass it up.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, the iPad mini is officially out of the question.

Really, Apple? $400... FOR THE 16gb?! When the iPad got a retina, it stayed the same price, but Apple seems to think that a $70 increase is ok.

It all comes down to Dell or Lenovo. I'm favoring Dell slightly, so I'll wait and see the reviews on it and if its given an OK, then I'll get that, but I just can't fathom spending an extra $100 for half the storage.

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
My observation:

The Lenovo Miix2 also has a cover option that comes with a stylus.

The Dell Venue 8 Pro also will have a Bluetooth keyboard option, which also doubles as a cover. Not sure when it will be ready for order, but they show it on the website. This is the only one on the list with a keyboard option (aside from the Acer W4). Also a stylus option, although I hate the way the covers are designed to store the stylus.

Personally, I like the specs of the Toshiba, although I agree that it does look the largest. They also quote the lowest battery life, but that may just be Toshiba being more honest. I also hate people using tablets as cameras. However, the improving apps for taking and editing videos on Win8 make this a little more compelling than it once was.

If I were to pick one now, I'd go for the Dell, as the keyboard option would be a deciding factor for me.

[I'm kind of leaning towards the Surface 2 at the moment, although the Intel compatibility of these 8" devices is really compelling....]

closeloop

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
This week Apple highlighted that both its new iPad Air and new iPad Mini With Retina display will have dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 2x2 MIMO WiFi. Dell Venue 8 Pro is now the only 8" Windows 8.1 tablet that has dual band 2x2 MIMO WiFi.

The other three 8" Windows 8.1 tablets announced so far, Toshiba Encore uses dual band 1x1 11n WiFi; Lenovo Miix2 use single band (2.4GHz only) 1x1 11n WiFi; Acer Iconia W4 has not disclosed its WiFi spec, but it is likely to be single or dual band 1x1 11n WiFi as well.

2x2 MIMO WiFi achieves twice the communication speed of 1x1 WiFi, while at the same time provides a much longer range and signal reliability. Also for the new Miracast feature (wireless display) introduced in Windows 8.1, 2x2 MIMO WiFi provides a much better Miracast video quality than 1x1 WiFi because of the speed and signal reliability. As for the communication frequency band, 2.4GHz band is a very "crowded". 5GHz band gives you a lot more selection of channels and is free from a lot of the interferences.

Since WiFi is the only communication medium in most of the tablets, a good WiFi really enhances the user experience whether you are at home, at work, at the airport, or at the Starbucks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro